Prescott and cap considerations

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Well, that is certainly the question. Lots of restructuring and cuts....... free agents will be looking at smaller deals..........just my guesses.

Once they have the lost revenue number, they'll figure something out b/c all teams are in the same boat.......
Compliance buyout

If the league is going to be at such a reduced cap number next year, they'd be stupid not to use it. It's good for both the PA and the teams.

Creeper

Reaction score
A lot of teams are going to have problems if the CAP drops significantly. The problem is if teams are forced to shed salaries to get under the cap it will put dozens of free agents on the market but no one will have the cap room to sign them. 2021 will be a disaster.

BTW, the Cowboys, if they don't do anything stupid, have $24 million they can roll over into 2021 and they are $27 million under the CAP with 41 players signed. So they could have $51 million in CAP room if it does not go down. They may ave to use $37.5 million of that on Dak, but that leaves them only $13.5 million to sign their other players. I can see them relenting and giving Dak a long term deal if it means a cap friendly number in 2021. Then in 2022, they will dumb some ugly salaries like Zeke and Jaylon Smith.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Cap next year is set at no Lower than 175

If the cowboys plan on keeping Dak. Getting a deal done prior to free agency and needing to apply the tag is in their best interest, as any long term deal will be significantly lower than 37 mil.

They could easily structure a deal with a much much lower cap hit next year.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Cap next year is set at no Lower than 175

If the cowboys plan on keeping Dak. Getting a deal done prior to free agency and needing to apply the tag is in their best interest, as any long term deal will be significantly lower than 37 mil.

They could easily structure a deal with a much much lower cap hit next year.
I suspect the league will attempt to address the cap next year and come to an agreement of sorts with NFLPA. otherwise there will be tons of veterans in the street and many won't be able to get any contracts close to what they expect....

for example, they may borrow from future cap space ins some form....there is all kinds of possibilities.

SackMaster

Reaction score
I suspect the league will attempt to address the cap next year and come to an agreement of sorts with NFLPA. otherwise there will be tons of veterans in the street and many won't be able to get any contracts close to what they expect....

for example, they may borrow from future cap space ins some form....there is all kinds of possibilities.
Already done:
https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/ww...-at-175-million-due-to-covid-19-pandemic/amp/

Flamma

Reaction score
If not for the injury I would agree, but you just had your QBs foot facing the wrong direction. It sounds like more often than not guys recover just fine, but if not and you pay him you just set back your franchise a decade. The tag makes sense provided you can make it work financially.

You mean to see if his injury has any lasting effects? In regards to that?

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
You mean to see if his injury has any lasting effects? In regards to that?
Exactly. I mean my guess is dak will be fine, and most struggles he would have are probably mental. The struggle is the tag deadline is typically in July, which is way before you get to see him in camp.

Just depends on if that's what you want to throw $100MM guaranteed to? I'd like someone smarter than me to have to deal with that answer.

Flamma

Reaction score
Exactly. I mean my guess is dak will be fine, and most struggles he would have are probably mental. The struggle is the tag deadline is typically in July, which is way before you get to see him in camp.

Just depends on if that's what you want to throw $100MM guaranteed to? I'd like someone smarter than me to have to deal with that answer.

Way to ruin my self righteous rant. You make a valid point. But I'd take the risk or let him go anyway. He'd probably be an out after 3 years anyway. Not like we're going to find a suitable QB in that time frame anyway. Either decision sets the Cowboys back. Why have a cap hit of 37 million?

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Way to ruin my self righteous rant. You make a valid point. But I'd take the risk or let him go anyway. He'd probably be an out after 3 years anyway. Not like we're going to find a suitable QB in that time frame anyway. Either decision sets the Cowboys back. Why have a cap hit of 37 million?
You're not wrong, and honestly the Cowboys need to have all options on the table, extending and letting him go both included. Anyone who argues otherwise probably has an agenda. This team has a ton of question marks, and a lot of not easy answers.

uvaballa

Reaction score
Jerry and the organization messed the Dak signing up. Instead of paying Zeke two years early they should have paid the QB. Right after Wentz got his deal the Cowboys could have offered the same deal and probably got Dak signed. Jerry blew it!

Swagger

Reaction score
Its a sad thing that our window to win with Dak is passed. We had 4 dirt cheap seasons to build this team around him and Jerry/Jason couldn't get it done.........now the major injury.

So, we either try to win with a super expensive QB surrounded with less talent (which rarely ever happens) or re-load at QB in the draft.
That is it in a nutshell and the sensible decision is to re-load at QB and rebuild in the draft rather than try and win with a super expensive QB surrounded with less talent.

Swagger

Reaction score
We have so many holes to improve upon on the roster that it will take years for us to be genuine challengers again any way.