Preseason Opener Analysis

Manster68

Reaction score
I'm BACK! It that time once again for my post-game analysis. That is, of course, provided that I watch the game.

1. I do not know about many of you, but something tells me that the offensive line is going to get their A** kicked in practice this week. Regardless of how much Denny Greene prepared for this game, the performance along the offensive line was, well, OFFENSIVE! All week long, we fans have heard how there was "This few mental errors" and "That few mental errors." Well, there were a whole lot more errors this game and they weren't all mental.

- Flozell Adams is not ready to play football.
- Rob Petitti is definately a rookie.
- Andre Gurode looked like, well, Andre Gurode.
- Jacob Rogers practically has an "All Points Bulliten" out for some intestinal fortitude.
- Stephen Peterman and Matt Tarullo contributed with key penalties (one which literally cost the game).
- Torrin Tucker apparently does not want to play for the Dallas Cowboys.

In fact, there was NO inside running game that I saw. So that tells me that no one was getting the job done.

Fellow Cowboy fans: If you have any aspirations of seeing this team win the division, then this unit better step it up.

Dallas just might have to suck it up and let Rob Petitti learn on the run. There is no one out in NFL-land any better.

2. Kicking Game:

- The kickoffs I didn't have a problem with.
- The kickoff coverage in the 4th quarter (where Cundiff made the tackle) is another story.
- MATT McBRIAR IS THE PLAYER OF THE GAME (as far as I'm concerned). Did he nail some bombs or what? Bill, let him just kick away like you let Sean Landetta do in the 80s.

3. Players I am happy with:

- Tyson Thompson: Uh, Bill, if you try to place him on the practice squad, you can kiss his *** goodbye! Boy! Do I love that speed! This is your 3rd down back you want as a safety valve for Drew. This kid could become a better 3rd down back than Preston Pearson. Thompson's performance did not help Anthony Thomas' cause any.
- ALL of the WRs: I didn't see any dropped balls did you? Crayton didn't have a chance for that bullet Henson threw at the goal line. He was well covered. Terrance Copper made two clutch catches late in the game. Morgan did well also.
- Pepper Johnson and Jay Ratliff: These two guys could very easily become key players in Dallas' defensive rotation as the season progresses. I liked what I saw.
- Tom Crowder: If you can play special teams, then Bill will find a place for you on the roster.
- Drew Henson and Tony Romo: Despite the poor performance on the offensive line, they hung in there valiantly and each made good throws. Dallas losing wasn't their fault. Several of the incompletions were smart plays.

4. The defensive line: The pass rush is not where it needs to be for Dallas to challenge for a division title quite yet. Then again, it is only the first preseason game. The run defense looked much better. Ware, Canty, and the other young guys just need to get some experience.

5. The secondary: Did you notice that the plays where the secondary got burned, there was no pass rush to be seen? Anthony Henry and Terrance Newman looked to be the 3rd and 4th best players out there for the Cowboys this evening behind Matt McBriar and Jason Witten. Bruce Thornton, Terry Glenn, and Roy Williams didn't look bad out there either. Lance Frazier and Lynn Scott didn't have their best game.

We all know that the fault of this loss did not rest on the defense. No, you can safely blame this loss on the offensive line. However, it is preseason. The good news is ...

...COWBOYS FOOTBALL IS BACK!!!