Pressures allowed by Terrance Steele (2021)

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I keep reading all these comments about La'el Collins being out of shape, having hips issues, and other stuff. But the Bengals are happy to have him.

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2022/06/08/lael-collinsI-already-making-bengals-better-otas/

Does La'el look out of shape?

I have no idea why the Cowboys cut Collins. Maybe it was just for the CAP, or they felt didn't need him with Steele on board. Or maybe they were just ticked off that he got suspended. But Collins is a good player and if they handled the situation right, they should have gotten a decent draft pick for him.

I think a lot of rumors about Collins started because of the way the Cowboys handled his injury in 2020. It took forever for them to decide he needed surgery and when he had the surgery they were very coy about the exact nature of his injury. Even now we do not know specifically what was repaired or how.

The Cowboys lost Cooper, Collins and Gregory over the winter, three good players. And all they got in return is a 5th round draft pick.

If Steele flops this year the Cowboys will get a boatload of criticism, but even if he plays well, they still deserve criticism for not getting something for Collins.
I have issues with Collins because he let the team down two seasons in a row. It was time for him to go. La’el ran out his welcome in Dallas. To piggy back on your point about Collins being in shape for the Bengals is the classic I want to give my new job a good impression of me. Collins never looked as good in Dallas as that picture of him on the Bengals practice field. I wish him the best but after getting his money you have to admit Collins was a major disappointment for us.

CWR

Reaction score
He was better at RT. Yes Collins was punted for a reason. He was even better in the run game over at RT.

Yeah, but we will likely need depth given Tyrons injury history. That will be the point of regret. Of course, maybe we have someone step up....

kskboys

Reaction score
I keep reading all these comments about La'el Collins being out of shape, having hips issues, and other stuff. But the Bengals are happy to have him.

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2022/06/08/lael-collins-already-making-bengals-better-otas/

I have no idea why the Cowboys cut Collins. Maybe it was just for the CAP, or they felt didn't need him with Steele on board. Or maybe they were just ticked off that he got suspended. But Collins is a good player and if they handled the situation right, they should have gotten a decent draft pick for him.

I think a lot of rumors about Collins started because of the way the Cowboys handled his injury in 2020. It took forever for them to decide he needed surgery and when he had the surgery they were very coy about the exact nature of his injury. Even now we do not know specifically what was repaired or how.

The Cowboys lost Cooper, Collins and Gregory over the winter, three good players. And all they got in return is a 5th round draft pick.

If Steele flops this year the Cowboys will get a boatload of criticism, but even if he plays well, they still deserve criticism for not getting something for Collins.
Collins was overpaid for production. Untradeable.

Collins is a guy who will make a great play, but then will suck for the next three. He's a typical example of physical talent not necessarily equating to a good player.

kskboys

Reaction score
I have issues with Collins because he let the team down two seasons in a row. It was time for him to go. La’el ran out his welcome in Dallas. To piggy back on your point about Collins being in shape for the Bengals is the classic I want to give my new job a good impression of me. Collins never looked as good in Dallas as that picture of him on the Bengals practice field. I wish him the best but after getting his money you have to admit Collins was a major disappointment for us.
We are making sweeping cuts of underperforming players w/ big salaries. If you think about it w/ the big pic in mind, it was simply a necessary cut.

blueblood70

Reaction score
wow shocking to have an OL being lauded as good i mean how is that so i mean this place states the OL coach sux but he did choose Steele as starter and developed him..i guess he got lucky. Its also ironic that when Biadsz analytics are truly broke down not by fans eyes, hes a solid Center who can still improve as well but fans want him gone yesterday..

fans are not talent evaluators what you see isnt always the truth.

coaches break down film with fiorst hand knowledge of the play called and each players responsibility's and just because it appears player was at fault when you judge an OL or DL they pay as group and of anther player messed up ie missed doble missed stunt call on who they were supposed to block the other player next to him looks guilty but possibly its not on them.

Bad OL play effect qbs and rbs
bad dl play effects LBs
bad pass rush effects dbs

One player along line that misses and assignments effect the entire play and players next to them etc etc

fans always blame one player or the obvious eye test and are wrong many times then they are correct on whos fault it was.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He took LC’s job because of cash and the coaches love him, not performance.

kskboys

Reaction score
He took LC’s job because of cash and the coaches love him, not performance.
But primarily due to Collin's extreme inconsistencies and lack of being able to remember what he was supposed to do.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2022/06/08/lael-collins-already-making-bengals-better-otas/

Collins is still a good player. Not quite the same athlete he was a couple years ago due to the injuries but a good player. The Cowboys did not release him due to performance. With that said, Steele is fine as a starting RT and an improving young player.

kskboys

Reaction score
Collins is still a good player. Not quite the same athlete he was a couple years ago due to the injuries but a good player. The Cowboys did not release him due to performance. With that said, Steele is fine as a starting RT and an improving young player.
Yes, part of it was performance. He wiffs on way too many plays.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong but thats..........5% @ LT and a little less than 3% @ RT. Either way, pretty damn good. No wonder they sent Collins packing (lol)

Big reason is because they schemed away from his side & gave him TE help. He need to improve in the run game too. Go check Zeke splits when he was in. Vey imbalanced to the weakside.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
We are making sweeping cuts of underperforming players w/ big salaries. If you think about it w/ the big pic in mind, it was simply a necessary cut.
You make a great point that nobody has ever brought up. The Cowboys are cleaning house of players that are unreliable. Cooper, La’el and Gregory were the poster boys of unreliable players.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
You make a great point that nobody has ever brought up. The Cowboys are cleaning house of players that are unreliable. Cooper, La’el and Gregory were the poster boys of unreliable players.

Agree 100%.......I think it was a major offseason goal

Creeper

Reaction score

We will see how this plays out this year. Same is true with Cooper and Gregory.

Creeper

Reaction score

Here is where I have a problem. You say Collins let the team down because he missed games for 2 seasons. I admit the suspension in 2021 was a let down. But he had a hip injury in 2020. If you recall the Cowboys were not exactly forthcoming with the nature of the injury. First they were going to hold him out of practices. Then preseason games. Then it was going to be a few games to start the season. Then, finally, they decided he needed season ending hip surgery. To this day we still do not know the exact extent of his injury or what the surgery was. I don't think we can blame Collins for an injury. The Cowboys were part of the decision to hold off on the surgery too. Then during all of this, a Cowboys writer claimed he was out of shape, as if a serious hip injury allowed him to run, or work out to stay in shape. Once Collins had the surgery I think it was apparent he was held out because of injury and not because he was out of shape.

I posted an article about how Collins is doing with the Bengals and the answer is he just trying to impress his new team. Okay, whatever fits your narrative. But the fact is PFF had an 80+ rating on him after last season. He is their 13th ranked OT in the league. I haven't seen anyone in the NFL, talking heads, analysts, coaches, scouts, etc. say Collins is anything but a quality RT. Whenever I hear analysts talk about the Bengals OL this year Collins gets a lot of the credit for the improvement. Is everyone wrong about Collins except the guys who post in this forum?

If you don't like Collins, I get it. The suspension last year was stupid and unnecessary. But regardless of what you think about La'el Collins, he is regarded by everyone else as a good player and as such the Cowboys should have been able to get a draft pick of some kind for him. The way they handled it they blocked themselves out of any compensation.

eromeopolk

Reaction score

Agree with you.

Arlington Jonesboys fans love drinking that country club Kool Aid from Jerry Dumbo GM Jones.

After Jimmy Johnson was fired, this is the same Dumbo GM that let go a Pro Bowl OL in Ron Stone . Jimmy Johnson scout Tom Ciskowski had to plead to get them to draft Larry Allen who Tom had scouted for Jimmy for 2 years.

The lie they want you to believe is that Lael Collins was so bad that the Super Bowl AFC Team signed him to protect their franchise QB, and block for their +1200 yard rusher. A sorry player goes to better team, that is closer to another Super Bowl than his former team, and you want us to believe he was worthless. Get REAL!

terra

Reaction score
Steele is at best one step up from a JAG. Those morons here thinking otherwise are typically idiots so no surprise.

As long as he gets help from the TE he is acceptable. that is all.