Pretty sure cowboy fans will be pleasantly surprised by this defense

cross

Reaction score
I believe this defense will be much better than advertised, our secondary is underated. Our defensive line is young and unproven, but better than most people believe in. But I may be in the few that believe, but I believe the infusion of the young talent will surprise even the most pessimistic fans. We will know a lot after Saturday night, but I think the arrow is pointing upward.

cross

Reaction score
While I agree with the sentiment, I do not have it hinging on Saturday night.

Saturday night is nothing.
True, but we will finally see what we have. I believe defensive lines are built on young and hungry athletes, they are certainly unproven, and I do think we will learn a lot against the Rams. I may be in the minority, but I see a lot in pre-season. It does matter, I for one, am intrigued. Can't wait !

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
I believe this defense will be much better than advertised, our secondary is underated. Our defensive line is young and unproven, but better than most people believe in. But I may be in the few that believe, but I believe the infusion of the young talent will surprise even the most pessimistic fans. We will know a lot after Saturday night, but I think the arrow is pointing upward.

Sure if Claiborne is the guy from college and doesn't get injured, if BJones does what fans here think he can do at safety, if others like rookie Anthony Brown show more than camp promise. And Scandrick is back to being Scandrick pre injury.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score

You can't tell anything like that from preseason.. won't know until the regular seaaon.

cross

Reaction score
Sure if Claiborne is the guy from college and doesn't get injured, if BJones does what fans here think he can do at safety, if others like rookie Anthony Brown show more than camp promise. And Scandrick is back to being Scandrick pre injury.
I quietly smile, because I believe this defense will be in the upper half, this team is being built the right way, nay sayers can jump ship anytime, but I think things are going right. You can not build a complete team over night, but I am excited about Saturday night, we will see. Thanks for the replys, this is a great forum.

cross

Reaction score
I do agree with this post, Claiborne is a key ingredient to this defense. I am watching and I believe he looks like a different dB than past years. It's about time, but right on time.

cross

Reaction score
You can't tell anything like that from preseason.. won't know until the regular seaaon.
Respectfully disagree, you will find out a lot, youth is on display, built from the draft, if you want to wait til it's on the line, that's ok. I am confused when people think preseason means nothing, it's like Christmas day to me, your toys are great or they suck. I just want to open them and see. Been waiting, let's see.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Respectfully disagree, you will find out a lot, youth is on display, built from the draft, if you want to wait til it's on the line, that's ok. I am confused when people think preseason means nothing, it's like Christmas day to me, your toys are great or they suck. I just want to open them and see. Been waiting, let's see.

Hard to tell when backups are playing backups. A ton of guys look good in preseason and do nothing in the regular season.

cross

Reaction score
Hard to tell when backups are playing backups. A ton of guys look good in preseason and do nothing in the regular season.
I understand, and no problem bro, I do get your point, but you can tell if you know what your looking at, and I'm sure that you do, not trying to dismiss your point of view, but talent shines and we shall see. Thanks for the reply, I respect your opinion.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It will be and the arrow is definately pointing up.

cross

Reaction score
It will be and the arrow is definately pointing up.
Thanks big dog, I believe so. I appreciate the scepticism from others as well. But something feels different now. Again, I can not wait til Saturday night, I will learn a lot from this game, talent will shine, even if it's diluted in starters vs 2nd and 3rd string. We will know more Sunday morn. Thanks big dog!

DallasCowboys2080

Reaction score
Thanks big dog, I believe so. I appreciate the scepticism from others as well. But something feels different now. Again, I can not wait til Saturday night, I will learn a lot from this game, talent will shine, even if it's diluted in starters vs 2nd and 3rd string. We will know more Sunday morn. Thanks big dog!

Hope ur right.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I think this year's version of our defense will be improved over 2015, if for no other reason than it more than it likely won't be worse. The interior pressure and run stoppage of our DL should prove closer to adequate than what we put forth last year. I also think the outside pressure from our DEs should at least surpass what we saw in 2015 by anything from a slim to a substantial margin. Let's just hope the run stoppage is better as well. Perhaps a combination of Ryan Russell(?) or Irving and Lawrence (once he's available) will also constitute an improvement. We'll see.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Pass coverage will be better because of Jones full time at FS and the return of Scandrick but that isn't exactly a high bar to hurdle. The new secondary coach appears to have them playing more aggressive which I like to see.

At the same time I am concerned about Church and any LB not named Lee covering the middle of the field.

I actually think that Marinelli can get pressure with the 8+ deep DL lineup we have if DLaw and Crawford can stay healthy.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
I understand, and no problem bro, I do get your point, but you can tell if you know what your looking at, and I'm sure that you do, not trying to dismiss your point of view, but talent shines and we shall see. Thanks for the reply, I respect your opinion.
I agree. Can guys be in the right position and not have blown assignments. Can the offense make the right reads. You can see these things in preseason....

rwalters31

Reaction score

I read this morning on MSN that Dallas has the worst Defense in the League going into the season. They mention that the defensive line is the reason.

The rest of the world does not agree with you.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
I don't agree with this argument. If you're right then how is anyone ever evaluated before their first game.

Plenty of evaluation takes place when these guys are in college playing against many that won't even make it to backup in a preseason game. These players are still part of the best of the best. It is a good time to evaluate imo.

JDSmith

Reaction score
I read this morning on MSN that Dallas has the worst Defense in the League going into the season. They mention that the defensive line is the reason.

The rest of the world does not agree with you.

Going into 2014 everyone agreed that the Cowboys would field a historically bad defense. There was talk of breaking records for points given up etc... Our D was middle of the pack and good enough for 12 - 4. Unproven doesn't mean bad, this D line is holding its own against our O line in practice.