Priority: Finishing defense or retooling offense?

blueblood70

Reaction score
There seem to be some on here who would like for us to scrap half the team and start over. That doesn't mesh with reality for building a contending team. What you can do is somewhat limited. If it came down to using our resources to try to finish what we've built on defense or retooling the offense (cutting and replacing players like Cooper and Collins, letting Schultz go and replacing him, etc.), which would you prefer?

I used to be on the side of finishing out the offense to make it a great unit instead of a pretty great one ... partially because our defenses always seemed so far away from being good. Now, I'm kind of in favor of seeing what Quinn can do if we give him all the pieces he needs to make the defense great. We may be only a stud DT and FS away from that. I'd probably throw in a second LB to pair with Parsons. That's if we re-sign Gregory and Kearse. Of course, there's always the issue of finding those players, but I would probably make it the priority.
really both i say simply reshuffling offense bit along the OL and add some bodies already here, ie give Ball and Farniok a shot etc, try out some kickers in camp to give Greg competition, and then add some players on defense we might lose is all..We have 20 UFA/RFA s on this team top retain or replace not much else we can do up against the cap..use younger players in this draft and past drafts.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
There seem to be some on here who would like for us to scrap half the team and start over. That doesn't mesh with reality for building a contending team. What you can do is somewhat limited. If it came down to using our resources to try to finish what we've built on defense or retooling the offense (cutting and replacing players like Cooper and Collins, letting Schultz go and replacing him, etc.), which would you prefer?

I used to be on the side of finishing out the offense to make it a great unit instead of a pretty great one ... partially because our defenses always seemed so far away from being good. Now, I'm kind of in favor of seeing what Quinn can do if we give him all the pieces he needs to make the defense great. We may be only a stud DT and FS away from that. I'd probably throw in a second LB to pair with Parsons. That's if we re-sign Gregory and Kearse. Of course, there's always the issue of finding those players, but I would probably make it the priority.
Let's be serious for a second rather than playing fantasy tiddlywinks with players. It matters who the OC is before we go reworking this offense. If it's Kellen Moore, he's going to continue to neglect the running game as fast as he can and put way too much on the shoulders of Dak. Dak can not carry this team alone. The O-line has to get fixed no matter what else happens. Where we go from there is up for discussion, I suppose...

MaineBoy

Reaction score
Trenches on both sides of the ball. Mandatory if they ever want to to be relevant again
Trenches on both sides of the ball. Mandatory if they ever want to to be relevant again

Right on ! And anything extra I would give to the defense because they have coaching that will utilize the resources effectively, unlike the OC who can’t figure out how to utilize Pollard, Cooper, etc…

ESisback

Reaction score
Under Quinn I see the defense being ok. My biggest concern? The offense.

New OL Coach
Restock the OL through draft and FA
Get another RB
Tweak the playbook, including more presnap motion.
Get a QB guru for #4’s head.

RonWashington

Reaction score
We cannot go into 2022 without getting Zack Martin and Terrence Steele some reinforcements . Not to mention the RB position that seems poised for disaster one leg on a banana peel the other dreaming of the riches of free agency .

If you want the 140 million man to improve get him some help . And goodness sakes Dalton Schultz is not a FA the Cowboys need to see in a SB on another team . Does that answer your question as to what direction the April Easter egg hunt should be headed , which side of the ball .

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
It's hard to run your offense when your offensive line has holes at OT and C.

Yep, the Holding-Line needs upgrading. I would think we've working out the combinations of Steele, La'el and O-Line draftee's especially there are a number a hybrids available (Johnson, Green and Penning) all potentially available at 24.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

After this offseason, we will likely only have two top 100 picks from the last 3 drafts left on offense (McGovern and Lamb). From that same span we will have we will have 8 top 100 picks on defense

Not a definitive answer, it is worth noting

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score

It all comes down to where ownership thinks this team is.

If they think that they can win, they are going to double down, restructure the big contracts and look to add a difference maker or two in free agency. I think this will be their mindset, just because it is the Jones family.

Because of this....I expect them to restructure almost every contract with the exception of maybe Zeke and Tyron. I expect them to let Cooper and A. Brown walk, along with Zeurlein. I don't think they resign Schultz or Williams, choosing to take the comp picks next year. Vander Esch either gets resigned to a very cheap deal or also is let go with hopes of getting a comp pick. They would likely resign Gregory, Kearse and Anger, maybe one or two others. Try to sign an impact guy or two. In the draft they look for an OL, DL , LB or S. McCarthy is on the hot seat. Win or be gone. 2023 would be the blow it all up year with a new coach, and basically take their lumps to improve the sal cap by releasing a lot of the old, overpaid deals and starting over with Dak, Lamb, Parsons and Diggs as the cornerstones for the future.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
Does it matter???? How many more great careers will be wasted in Dallas? Smith and Martin on last leg-declining. Dak going into his 7th year. Zeke done for. Amari pretty much shot. And that's just the offense. I hope Micha gets the hell out of Dallas Asap if this continues during his rookie contract. He deserves better.