Prisco Notes: on LeCharles Bentley

PacoReloaded

Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
Or better yet, let's sign another Aaron Glenn to a 2 year contract and watch him outperform a 26 year old Fred Smoot who was paid 3 times more than his effective value because he was declared the "it boy" of the offseason.

We can use that $10 to $12 million we saved to address other positions.
Just because we strike gold on one player that doesn't mean it's going to be the case with all of them.

Heck, while we're at it let's bring up what we payed for River as compared to what Carolina payed for Mike Wahle and let's see who got the better deal.

Yes, Carolina payed a bit more for him but also got a lot more value out of Wahle as well and meanwhile we're stuck with an overpriced, player on the downside of his career that will likely not finish out his contract here.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
Again, obviously you only care about age. I care more about value. You don't mind Google at $450 a share, because its Google. Its the hot commodity. You gotta have it. I try to look for better value so I can spread my dollar to other areas. I don't think blowing our entire cap wad this offseason on a $14 million dollar signing bonus for 1 player on the OL (and not even our biggest area of need on the OL) is necessarily a wise strategy. You probably think differently. That's okay.

He could see the entirity of his contract, but its also entirely likely that he'll be released once he reaches the heavy base final years of his contract, and the team will take on deadmoney in exchange for immediate cap relief, like so many other former big contract guys have been today.

so - name me one owner who'd rather be on the end of a player getting paid millions to nurse a back and NOT play than be forced to redo the contract or let a player go after 4+ years of solid play?

your options in the end while i don't discount, are much better if you take the "stud" and quit pretending you're getting value for guys about to fall apart.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
Or better yet, let's sign another Aaron Glenn to a 2 year contract and watch him outperform a 26 year old Fred Smoot who was paid 3 times more than his effective value because he was declared the "it boy" of the offseason.

We can use that $10 to $12 million we saved to address other positions.

so, we can take 1 example of success and pretend it will ALWAYS work out that way and ignore rivera and so forth?

wonder blinders - ON!

superpunk

Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
Again, obviously you only care about age. I care more about value. You don't mind Google at $450 a share, because its Google. Its the hot commodity. You gotta have it. I try to look for better value so I can spread my dollar to other areas. I don't think blowing our entire cap wad this offseason on a $14 million dollar signing bonus for 1 player on the OL (and not even our biggest area of need on the OL) is necessarily a wise strategy. You probably think differently. That's okay.

He could see the entirity of his contract, but its also entirely likely that he'll be released once he reaches the heavy base final years of his contract, and the team will take on deadmoney in exchange for immediate cap relief, like so many other former big contract guys have been today.

Age is a huge factor, it has to be. Bentley would be someone who is the answer now, and for years ahead, whether it be at G or C. Considering the crapshoot drafting OL is, and our recent struggles in that regard, I can't imagine passing on such a fine player, because of the cost. We've got LA, likely to be done soon, Rivera likely the same. The interior of that line needs some revamping, and Bentley's worth his weight in gold, IMO.