Pro/Con - My internal conflict

jday

Reaction score
Okay, this issue is going to have enough threads to knit a quilt as big as a football field, but if not just for my own peace of mind, let me see if I can justify cutting T.O.. And keep in mind, I was one of those who, while I don't consider myself a apologist, did support keeping T.O. with his contribution in mind and the fact that it hurt the Cap more than it helped.

Pro

Along with keeping T.O., I have also been a supporter of the idea of a more balanced attack in 09, considering the other weapons we have, particularly in our stable of backs. The combination of Barber, Felix, and Choice, could prove to be an adequate replacement for T.O.'s production.

Con

How much of T.O. as a decoy contributed to the success of these players, whom all have never known this offense without T.O.? That, to me, is the only big question. Look at NY without Plaxico. Without Plaxico, teams were able to crowd the box with 8, and it didn't matter if it was Jacobs, Ward, or Dixon running the ball, they were pretty much stuffed at the line.

Pro

Witten, Roy Williams, Martellus Bennett, Miles Austin, and Patrick Crayton should all still be able to make defenses pay for that approach. In particular, I am hoping for RW, Martellus, and Miles Austin to have break out years in 09 to make up for what we lost in T.O.

Con

Was T.O. really the source of the problem? Or was the media largely responsible for the cancer T.O. was made out to be? Personally, I think much more was made of T.O.'s presence than the problems it was sighted for causing. Take for instance the charge that he was a lockerroom cancer. Only the media has made this claim. Now the bigger question is, could the media in fact be the biggest problem with team chemistry? And does the removal of T.O. solve this problem one way or the other?

Pro

It could be argued, even if T.O. wasn't a cancer but merely the catalyst to the media becoming a cancer, that the problem is still solved.

Con

But is it? Because what if the Cowboys continue to lose. Who then becomes the scapegoat? Romo? Wade? Garrett? Jerry Jones? The truth is, we as fans and the media will always find someone to point a finger at in the wake of losing? And since the Cap is rendering quite a few casualties, particularly on defense, losing could very well be something we see quite a bit of in 09. Currently, DE, DT, ILB, SS, and CB all need to be addressed with the losses of Chris Canty, Tank Johnson, Zach Thomas, Kevin Burnett, Roy Williams, Anthony Henry, and Pacman Jones. All 7 players were starters on defense. That's 7 of 11 starting players. Pretty significant turnover. And now we may have to focus on WR, as well. Not good.

Pro

Are these losses going to be felt to the extent that our defense becomes a revolving door? Can, what should become, 11 picks overall be used to shore up the losses we have experienced? Personally, I think if our focus is defense up front, players like Jarron Gilbert, Dorell Scott, David Bruton, Daniel Holtzclaw, and (possibly) Domonique Johnson could still be available at the point of our first five picks and could provide ample production to replace the loss of the aforementioned Free Agents. Furthermore, the acquisition of Keith Brooking, many have argued, is an upgrade to Zach Thomas and Scandrick and Jenkins are decent replacements for Anthony Henry and Pacman.

Con

That is relying on quite a bit of youth to be productive. Do we really think that a combination of rookies and sophmore players can provide the same impact as the players we lost?

Pro

I'm not asking for the same impact. I'm asking for an impact that affords our offense the ability to outscore the other team. Having a defense that is as good as the Steelers or Baltimore is only necessary if you have an offense like they have. We, on the other hand, have players who can score at any time at any point on the field.

Con

Not necessarily. Not only does the cutting of T.O. create a void at WR, it also, in a way, creates a void at OL. Because now we are asking an OL that we currently have to become good at run blocking an screen plays and sweeps, when due to their overall size and lack of speed, are more geared towards a passing offense. So, those high pick you are spending on defense, might be needed to pick up a younger offensive lineman or two that can get to the second level to seal the edge and/or lead block down the field in screen situations.

Pro

Believe it or not, those types of players should still be available late in the 2nd day. Guys like Lydon Murtha and Ryan Delrosal might not be the most technically sound blockers, but for their size they have good wheels (Lydon at 6-7 306 ran a 4.89 and Ryan at 6-5 313 rana 4.94). So long as they aren't getting matadored out of the way, they could be effective in holding up a LB or two long enough for our speedster Felix to get around the corner and up the field for positive yardage.

Con

Okay, but what receivers will be available late in the second day?

Pro

Johnny Knox maybe. What type of receiver are we looking for in the draft, after spending our 1st, 3rd, and 5th on bringing in Roy Williams? Is there any receivers in the draft who will available with our 51st pick overall who would replace our top 3 receivers? I'm guessing no, so if anything we are looking for someone who can compete to be a situational slot receiver. Knox, at 6-0 185 and a 4.34 40, would be ideal used in this role, and could be available as late as the 5th round if not later.

Con

Still not sold. There are too many question marks behind every player. Roy Williams showed us nothing. Patrick Crayton is inconsistent. Miles Austin is an injury waiting to happen and still hasn't proven he can be a reliable option. Felix injured first year. Barber looked better as a back up. Choice came in at the end of the year; how will he play seeing significant carries throughout the season? Bennett has ability, no question there, but he's still young, and has already had a brush with off the field issues. Same could be said of Anthony Spencer and his excellent training camp never seemed to translate to gameday, as he consistently got tide up with blockers and moved no further. Romo - every time he throws, I close my eyes and hold my breath as I don't know what to expect, be it a good pass or a horrible interception. The OL as a whole is inconsistent and their success in 07 was in large part due to Romo's ability to move around; to many mental errors led to sacks, penalties and injuries in 08. The DL will only have two experienced full time starters in the rotation next year. The linebacking core is probably the one bright spot of this entire team, considering we have with Demarcus Ware and Bradie James, but after those two players, we have question marks with Greg Ellis being an aging veteran and Keith Brooking who is new to the team. Behind these players, outside of Anthony Spencer, whom I have already touched on, is Bobbie Carpenter who has already been dubbed a bust and Justin Rogers who barely made the 53 man roster in 08. Ken Hamlin has been inconsistent and was considered the primary reason we lost in Baltimore with two huge missed tackles that led to 2 offensive touchdowns, one after the other. Jenkins doesn't seem to have a killer instinct, as he avoided contact in a few situations in 08. Am I missing anyone? Every player on this team, for the exception a few players, is wearing a question mark. Can you honestly say that all those questions will be answered positively in 09?

Pro

No. I can say welcome to football. That is why it is considered the chess of sports. Granted, the Cowboys have far more questions going into 09 than they did going into 08, but what does that mean? I would say the Cowboys had more questions going into 07 than they did in 06 and they had a 13-3 season in 07. Who knows what can happen. Just because a team experiences alot of turnover, doesn't mean they can't have success. It is what it is. Like it or lump it, you'll still watch every preseason and regular season game. The upside of this situation is our hopes will be tempered and this team will not be dubbed the paper champion. If we see another 9-7 season, it's not like we went into this season with the same expectations as we had in 08, and chances are we will see more turnover that many of the doom and gloomers have been praying for (e.g. Wade will be gone, and a new coach will likely want to bring his own staff). The good news is, we are nowhere close to needing to scrap the team, as a whole. We still have alot of talented youth and Romo should have several more years in him. A Super Bowl is not out of reach with any given team. As we've seen, if they can get hot at the right time, anything can happen.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
Good post, and I am like you.

I am completely on the fence with this. I was in favor of T.O. returning. But he's not and there are definite pro's, just like there is definate cons.

A pro is that WR's do not win championships. We have enough firepower on offense to be fine. We took too many chances last year and turnovers killed us. If we are more balanced, utilize play action more, and keep the defense off balance, we'll be just fine.

Also, we can spread the ball around, and not cater to TO. Remember Romo's lightning quick reads and progressions? Those could be back. Brady won 3 rings with a bunch of nobodies at WR. If you spread the ball around, you're fine.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I didn't think it would happen but the fact that it did makes me positive that Jerry had to do it. No way he wanted it after re-signing TO last year.

Woods

Reaction score
jday, nice post.

I think the ideal type of WR we need with the departure of TO is a speed wideout, preferably more than just straight line speed as well.

RWilliams, Crayton, Hurd are similar types of receivers, while Austin is a burner, but is largely an unknown.

Ideally, a Deon Branch - type would work for me to complement the rest of our receiving corps.

You mentioned Knox in your post, what other ideas do you have between Rounds 4-7?

jday

Reaction score
Woods;2672037 said:
jday, nice post.

I think the ideal type of WR we need with the departure of TO is a speed wideout, preferably more than just straight line speed as well.

RWilliams, Crayton, Hurd are similar types of receivers, while Austin is a burner, but is largely an unknown.

Ideally, a Deon Branch - type would work for me to complement the rest of our receiving corps.

You mentioned Knox in your post, what other ideas do you have between Rounds 4-7?
I'm glad you asked. See the following link for my draft board, which, by the way, I put together prior to the T.O. cut.

http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147818

Nevertheless, I'm not going to revise it/knee jerk react to T.O.'s cutting thinking we are going to find a viable #2 with the 51st pick overall. Honestly, I don't think we could find a replacement for our #3 with the 51st pick overall, so I'm still guessing we pick up a camp body receiver late in the 2nd day. The options I listed could be groomed into decent #3's if not better.

jday

Reaction score
Woods;2672037 said:
jday, nice post.

Also, keep in mind, Felix Jones is 6-0. He actually is a great receiving option, as well. I'm not saying he will replace T.O., but if the idea is to get your best 11 on the field at all times, having him wide out, with Barber or Choice behind Romo, may be one combination that accomplishes just that. Can you imagine a Trips Bunch including the likes of Roy Williams, Felix Jones, and Miles Austin on one side, with Witten anchoring the other side, and Barber or Choice lined up behind Romo? Or dual TE's with Bennett and Witten as bookends to the line, Felix and Austin split out opposite of Roy Williams and, again, Choice or Barber behind Romo. T.O. or not, the options are endless.

Lastly, one more pro, with T.O. gone, this has to send a message to Roy Williams and Tony Romo. They have got to get there QB/WR connection on point. In fact, it should send a message to all of his other receiving options. There ability to produce just became extremely important. Because there will be no more blaming T.O. for his hands or needing to force him the ball. Winning will be the result of a team effort or the team loses. Not one player on this team, for the exception of Romo, can personally carry this team to victory.

If Romo is to prove he belongs in elite company, this is the season to do it. Otherwise, everyone will say that Romo was made elite by an elite receiver. Rather or not that is true, doesn't matter; that will be the perception that is fed to us by the media and, ultimately, accepted by the majority as fact...and Jerry Jones, lol, will look like an idiot for cutting T.O.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Felix is 5-10, original draft reports claimed 6-0 but they were wrong.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I have no internal conflicts over rented players...ever. I have no internal conflicts over marginal players...ever.

He was a hired gun who couldn't get rid of the squatters.

Woods

Reaction score
jday;2674560 said:
I'm glad you asked. See the following link for my draft board, which, by the way, I put together prior to the T.O. cut.

http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147818

Nevertheless, I'm not going to revise it/knee jerk react to T.O.'s cutting thinking we are going to find a viable #2 with the 51st pick overall. Honestly, I don't think we could find a replacement for our #3 with the 51st pick overall, so I'm still guessing we pick up a camp body receiver late in the 2nd day. The options I listed could be groomed into decent #3's if not better.

Good stuff, thanks.

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
How much of T.O. as a decoy contributed to the success of these players, whom all have never known this offense without T.O.? That, to me, is the only big question. Look at NY without Plaxico. Without Plaxico, teams were able to crowd the box with 8, and it didn't matter if it was Jacobs, Ward, or Dixon running the ball, they were pretty much stuffed at the line.

This was my immediate concern. It's just a matter of "wait and see" I guess.

jday

Reaction score
speedkilz88;2674644 said:
Felix is 5-10, original draft reports claimed 6-0 but they were wrong.
Oh...well, he's still a receiving option.

The point is, despite my obvious concerns, particularly on defense, the remaining team no longer has a crutch or a scapegoat. Tank Johnson will likely follow T.O. and Pacman, so there are no more players that the media can point to as being cancers and the reason this team underperformed. If they fail, it's because the team, the coaches, the owner, and the organization as a whole, failed.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
MONT17;2672190 said:
the days of James Mcknight are here again!

You exaggerate.

Roy "No Hands" Williams could surprise us.
And I am looking for Miles Austin to have a breakout year.
Further, Crayfish has shown flashes of mediocrity, so he will help.

And let us not forget our diamond in the rough, Hurd, who could develop into a threat. (On the other hand, Stanback's time may be up.)

But make no mistake about it: The receiving corps will need a blue chip receiver in the draft. We need someone to groom to be our No. 1 down the road.

jday

Reaction score
GimmeTheBall!;2674930 said:
You exaggerate.

Roy "No Hands" Williams could surprise us.
And I am looking for Miles Austin to have a breakout year.
Further, Crayfish has shown flashes of mediocrity, so he will help.

And let us not forget our diamond in the rough, Hurd, who could develop into a threat. (On the other hand, Stanback's time may be up.)

But make no mistake about it: The receiving corps will need a blue chip receiver in the draft. We need someone to groom to be our No. 1 down the road.
I agreed with you up until you mentioned drafting a WR high. Maybe next year, but our holes on defense suggest we focus on defense 1st. Remember we have lost so far 7 starters from our defense.

Besides, what rookie receiver will be available with the 51st pick overall that could replace either Crayton or Austin? You could argue that there are players who could be developed to be better, but they likely would help us in 09. On defense, on the other hand, there are players who could be available all the way up to the 5th round that could be immediate starter quality.