Pro Football Network Top 100 (7 Cowboy players)

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I'm saying we really didn't have 8 (Tyron) of the top 100 players last year. So, we really weren't as good as this list would have us believe.

Certainly other teams will try to attack weaknesses.
Arguments can be made against any list. I just don't think team success has that much to do with whether several players are among the best at their positions. That can only take you so far. Team success reflects how good your roster is overall, among other things.

I mean, we also had multiple players make All-Pro last year (a better gauge than rankings IMO), including three offensive linemen, but that doesn't mean our offensive line was the best in the league because the other two spots were shaky and we used a run scheme that wasn't best suited for our starting back.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Our problem isn't the 7%, it's what the front office puts around that 7%. NFL is a team game, so if the team has weaknesses that can be exploited, it's tough to win, especially in the playoffs when you are facing other teams with several top players but also better players around them.

For example, if you have strong ends (which this rankings says we do) but are weak at tackle, where do you think other playoff teams are going to attack? They are going to attack the weak links. That forces you to have to adjust what you are doing to protect the weak links and leaves you more vulnerable overall.
Well said.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Arguments can be made against any list. I just don't think team success has that much to do with whether several players are among the best at their positions. That can only take you so far. Team success reflects how good your roster is overall, among other things.

I mean, we also had multiple players make All-Pro last year (a better gauge than rankings IMO), including three offensive linemen, but that doesn't mean our offensive line was the best in the league because the other two spots were shaky and we used a run scheme that wasn't best suited for our starting back.
To a large extent, I agree with what you are saying. Just looking at it from a numbers perspective though, having more than league average should give you a significant advantage. Given league parity and 32 teams, you would say that 3 per team is a reasonable average. Indeed 10 teams had 3 representatives. Another 13 had 2 or fewer with three of those teams having zero. So, having more than 3 puts you ahead of 23 teams. Having 8 put us only behind the 9ers. Having 8 against a team with three like the Packers, should be a huge advantage. Our results don't bear that out which lends further credence to questioning how many of our players should really be on this list. I bet a list that had more teams around 3 and no team with more than 6 would probably be a more accurate list.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
I understand what you are saying but in theory all of them should have an impact on those two things.
  • True....but Micha as a DE is not a run stopper.
  • Lawrence is a DE is a very good run stopper. But that just represents one edge.
  • Lamb/Dak....does their impact on the passing game allow us to run in the inclimate weather you find as you player deeper into January? I would argue no, because the passing game become less of a threat as the weather gets colder.
  • Does Travon help you stop the run, I would argue no.
  • Martin is definitely a plus in the run game
Lastly, there were no DTs, RBs or interior LBs on that list. So in conclusion, we don't have pieces that help you run and stop the run once you've already played 17 - 18 games

McKDaddy

Reaction score
  • True....but Micha as a DE is not a run stopper.
  • Lawrence is a DE is a very good run stopper. But that just represents one edge.
  • Lamb/Dak....does their impact on the passing game allow us to run in the inclimate weather you find as you player deeper into January? I would argue no, because the passing game become less of a threat as the weather gets colder.
  • Does Travon help you stop the run, I would argue no.
  • Martin is definitely a plus in the run game
Lastly, there were no DTs, RBs or interior LBs on that list. So in conclusion, we don't have pieces that help you run and stop the run once you've already played 17 - 18 games
I agree those are our weaknesses and nice job of breaking it down. My take on a couple would be slightly different though.
Other teams passing games remain a threat that creates some room for the run game, why can't ours against better teams?
Bland is really good in run support & Diggs can .... but sometimes doesn't.
Martin is no longer a plus in the run game.