Probably too late now, but Jason Garrett...

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
needs to (should have) changed the offense when Romo got hurt.

Just cuz Brad Johnson KNOWS this offense doesn't mean he can run it. As soon as Romo got hurt Garrett should have implented more screens, draws, quick slants, and crossing routes into the offense. You want the offense to be efficient? Then call plays that take advantage of what he can do, not plays that expose what he can't do.

A few quick screens to TO might help free him up too. CB playing too close to him? Put him in motion. Run a TE screen with Bennett. Run a reverse with Austin. Run a slant with RW11.

Jason Garrett is a good young coach, but he still has A LOT to learn.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Rack;2384374 said:

Just cuz Brad Johnson KNOWS this offense doesn't mean he can run it. As soon as Romo got hurt Garrett should have implented more screens, draws, quick slants, and crossing routes into the offense. You want the offense to be efficient? Then call plays that take advantage of what he can do, not plays that expose what he can't do.

A few quick screens to TO might help free him up too. CB playing too close to him? Put him in motion. Run a TE screen with Bennett. Run a reverse with Austin. Run a slant with RW11.

I shudder to think that anybody would think that an entire team should (or could) change its gameplan or build it around one player.
The Garrett game plan certainly does not belong to T.O. or Witten or Barber. It is for the entire team.

And btw, Garrett has fine-tuned it for Brad in the short passing game as evidenced the past two games.

Overall, however, the game (what the team does) does not suddenly change for one guy. That is basic.

Zman5

Reaction score
I would like to see a play where we line up Bennett or Curtis in the slot and have him go in motion and at the snap he crack blocks Tuck when he's least expecting it and just knocks him out cold. You do that several times and it should hinder his pass rush every time someone goes in motion on his side.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
GimmeTheBall!;2384393 said:
I shudder to think that anybody would think that an entire team should (or could) change its gameplan or build it around one player.
The Garrett game plan certainly does not belong to T.O. or Witten or Barber. It is for the entire team.

And btw, Garrett has fine-tuned it for Brad in the short passing game as evidenced the past two games.

Overall, however, the game (what the team does) does not suddenly change for one guy. That is basic.

You are absolutely clueless, aren't you?

I shudder to think that you actually believe the complete crap you stew.

Let's see, the Fins have been running the wildcat formation... why don't they do it with Pennington at QB?

Hmmm... did you just get proven wrong? Yes, you did.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
WhoDat;2384410 said:
I'm surprised Jerry missed out on hiring the genius that is Rack. Garrett Shmarrett.

I'm not claiming to be able to do his job. I'm just saying there's some things he could have added to cater to BJ's shortcomings.

He can't throw deep, so why call so many deep routes?

He ran a lot of screens with minnesota and tampa bay. Is it so hard for us to do the same?

AKATheRake

Reaction score
Zman5;2384403 said:
I would like to see a play where we line up Bennett or Curtis in the slot and have him go in motion and at the snap he crack blocks Tuck when he's least expecting it and just knocks him out cold. You do that several times and it should hinder his pass rush every time someone goes in motion on his side.

That's good thinking. I wrote a post earlier indicating a formation that would help Brad immensely. Singleback formation WR bunch. 3 step drop and quick passes. We would bunch T.O, Bennett and Roy Williams on the right side. The 2 WR's cross patterns and the TE runs an L patter out or in.

This formation will accomplish 3 things:

(1) Brad Gets the ball out quick because of the 3 step drop and has quick outlets to pass too. The defense is confused as to what patterns to cover and the directions the WR's and TE are going. It is hard to double team a particular receiver. This formation is exceptionally effective against man as opposed to zone. The Giants play a lot of man.

(2) This will loosen up the defense who will most likely want to line 8 men up in the box to stop the run. This will force the Giants to put smaller quicker players on the field to cover the pass and take an LB out of the box and shifting bodies to 1 side. Since the DE's will be more pass rushing ends (Tuck and Kiwi) as opposed to run stuffers and there will be 1 more DB lkely added instead of a LB we can drive the run. Imagine spreading out the D, our 2 WR's blocking DB's, our TE isolated on a DB blocking and being able to run behind big and Colombo with 1 less LB in support. This of course is without a lead blocker, ie fullback or TE. I like this matchup regardless with Barbers running style.

(3) Create balance since we can pass and run out of it. Balance negates the defenses timing and buys the QB more time to get a pass off. We can keep the same defensive personnel on the field and run at them and bust their wheels throughout the game. Wouldlove to see Tuck in there for all 3 downs. Lets see how quick and effective he is after being runned at and being off time on the pass rush.

We need to see these types of formations this game and I haven't seen Garret impliment any of that. This benefits Brad, MBIII, T.O and RW. Bennet doesn't have to stay in to block as much which isn'this strong suit at this point in his career.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Rack;2384374 said:

:hammer: X a ba-jillion. Hello.............earth to Garrett............

NOT too late. 8 games left. Now would be perfect.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
I think Garrett should strap up and go out and play I think he would fair better than Brad.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2384432 said:
I think Garrett should strap up and go out and play I think he would fair better than Brad.

I agree. Best idea I heard all week. He can call the plays while playing. Hahahaha! Most importantly Brad isn't in.

Everlastingxxx

All Star
Reaction score
Rack;2384374 said:

I have thought the same exact thing. Garrett has shown zero flexability and creativity. If he doesnt adjust the offense for Brad this week, we could be shutout. I think i lost alot of faith in him after the Skins game where Felix didnt get a single carry. Does make you realize Garrett has alot to learn.

Havoc

Benched
Reaction score
Rack;2384374 said:

Agreed, and why does he even have to LEARN that..seems like common freaking sense to me. I have been calling for more screens for two years and even more so since Brad Johnson came in. Sometimes I think Garrett is either stupid or just stubborn.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Rack;2384374 said:

I agree with what you are saying but I really don't think he could add any more draw plays to the equation. As is, nearly every single run is a delayed handoff of some sort.

superpunk

Reaction score
The WR screen has all but disappeared from our playbook since Sparano's departure.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
here is what I think if Garrett: If you give him a top 5 QB, a top 5 OL, a top 5 TE, a top 5 WR, a top 10 RB.......he looks likes a genius. Remove just one.....and I do mean just one, (witness when TO went down last year, witness Romo going down this year)...he looks like a guy that should still be a QB coach.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
GimmeTheBall!;2384393 said:

Wow. 9 out of 10 coaches ADMIT to changing game plans for backup QB or different QB thats brought it.

The Game Plan DOESNT belong to the PLAYMAKERS(TO/Witt/MB)... really?? Wowx2. Yeah, why pay them for making plays?

But after reading your post... I think they are all lying. :rolleyes:

I can admit to learning ALOT from members on this board.

I dont think you can or have... at all.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Rack;2384374 said:

IS this a serious post?

Draws? The only running plays we have been using our draws and leads. Since the day kosier went down we have not run outside the tackles on any sweeps or toss's with the guards pulling. He is the guard that does that and not having him has hampered the running plays being called.

Screens to owens? Do you watch the games? Owens can not break a tackle to save his life. For the 3 seasons since owens has been here they have tried time and time again to get him the ball on that quick screen and he has been tackled instantly everytime. Just like sunday.

And this past sunday there were wr open all over the place, it had nothing to do with garrett's playcalling but instead it was the qb's inability to read the play fast enough and get the ball out.

People are bagging on Garrett and johnsons arm and neither are the problem. The problem is Brad Johnson holds the ball to long because he cant read the defense fast enough and by the time he knows where to go with the ball he is either late and winds up with the throw looking horrible or he has to dump it to barber because his windows opened and closed before he got rid of the ball.

This happened repeatedly sunday. He was late to owens about 4 times and extremely late to williams twice. He was even late to barber with barber running a little wheel route.

TO me this tells me two things. Brad Johnson is rusty and is not seeing the field well yet and when you are late with your reads pressure will end up in your face and then you have to hurry a throw, because you are late with it.

I saw nothing wrong with the playcalling the last two weeks. Especially last week. People forget that romos two best abilities are his intelligence and rapid ability to see the field and then his bruce lee like quick release to get the ball into tight spots.

This is why I dont mind johnson going this week and actually prefer it. If he can improve in seeing the field then he will be able to distribute the ball more effectively. There will be guys open sunday again, with the quality of wr we have they will be open, the issue this week is will johnson be able to remain calm in the pocket while getting hit and fitting the ball into tight spots.

It will be evident early on if he is seeing the field, because if he isnt this week the giants might have a record sack day that makes their game against the eagles look like small potatoes.

But by all means, I love these magic route theories. They are highly entertaining.

superpunk

Reaction score
lol @ theebs post...so money.

But, the screen is such a powerful play. Used well, it can work wonders ona defense. It doesn't even have to go to Owens - we've got three big, powerful receivers in Williams Owens and Austin. Watching other teams (the pats and steelers are prominent in my memory) they run that bubble screen with 3 WRs on one side of the field beautifully. One steps back while the other two head upfield and engage - it's magic - and there are very few corners who can handle it.

With Sparano we used the WR screen effectively, although we would almost always use it with a WR iso'd on one side of the field, rather than have a convoy.

As something that could help Johnson, who obviously can't run this offense the way Romo can, things like that would be invaluable, and would get the ball into our playmakers hands - something that hasn't happened for two weeks.