Probably too late now, but Jason Garrett...

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
superpunk;2384646 said:
lol @ theebs post...so money.

But, the screen is such a powerful play. Used well, it can work wonders ona defense. It doesn't even have to go to Owens - we've got three big, powerful receivers in Williams Owens and Austin. Watching other teams (the pats and steelers are prominent in my memory) they run that bubble screen with 3 WRs on one side of the field beautifully. One steps back while the other two head upfield and engage - it's magic - and there are very few corners who can handle it.

With Sparano we used the WR screen effectively, although we would almost always use it with a WR iso'd on one side of the field, rather than have a convoy.

As something that could help Johnson, who obviously can't run this offense the way Romo can, things like that would be invaluable, and would get the ball into our playmakers hands - something that hasn't happened for two weeks.

I agree wr screens are a good play. I do think this week the line of scrimmage is going to be awful crowded and I would love to see them throw that screen to austin. If austin could get the ball in his hands and get some space he can provide a huge spark.

It is tough to throw wr screens when the corners are on the line bumping though, but I have seen the giants play one corner up and one off.

I just dont think williams, crayton or owens are suited for that. Williams I think needs to be used on the sideline this week. I would imagine the giants will leave alot of space outside the hash marks and down the field like tampa did and williams can correct a poor throw pretty quickly.

I actually have a positive outlook this week on johnson. I think he is going to trust him self to let it go this week when he thinks its there. Hopefully that wont lead to easy interceptions though.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Dallas does not run screens to the running backs that well. They get one to work every now and then, but are very inconsistent. That is with Romo at QB. It is not going to automatically get better with Johnson at QB.

A wide receiver screen may work better, but most times it seems they are pressing TO, so the corner will always be around the ball on a WR screen.

The offense has been changed to suit Brad. He also has performed poorly. Some of it is rust and timing. Some of it isn't. Garrett can probably tweak a few things, but wholesale changes would not have helped.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
AKATheRake;2384426 said:
That's good thinking. I wrote a post earlier indicating a formation that would help Brad immensely. Singleback formation WR bunch. 3 step drop and quick passes. We would bunch T.O, Bennett and Roy Williams on the right side. The 2 WR's cross patterns and the TE runs an L patter out or in.
I like the bunch 3 WRs Idea. Their are a million things you could do with TO and this receiving core to get them opened and it seems like Garrett just wants the deep stuff which takes way too long to accomplish, and with this OLINE giving us time for 1 read maybe 1 1/2 reads, we need quick strike plays.