Twitter: ProfootballDoc (Former NFL Head Team Physician): Talks Romo and Herniated Discs

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Guy's a former Head team physician...and speaks only in general terms
-------------------------

David J. Chao, MD ‏@ProFootballDoc 11h

Going to share couple of thoughts from former NFL team physician perspective and someone who has personally had 3 herniated disc surgeries.
Herniated discs are common. Having one does not mean mandatory surgery. Depends on symptoms which can get better #ROMO @dallascowboys
Unless #Romo has progressive neurologic symptoms (numbness, weakness, loss of bowel or bladder function) he will not have immediate surgery.
Herniated disc don't go away but symptoms can improve with treatment, medicine and epidural steroid injections. #Romo
Would be unusual for #Romo to finish game and have symptoms worsen to the point he needs immediate surgery. Likely spasm and pain.
Many NFL players play with herniated disc and delay surgery until after the season. (of course i don't have any direct knowledge of #Romo)
In the #Romo risk/reward equation, playing with a herniated lumbar disc has no increase chance of paralysis, even with a big hit.
To be clear, I am not saying #Romo will play. Just saying despite media reports, i wouldn't give up hope yet @dallascowboys.
It is likely/possible that #Romo didn't just get the herniated disc on Sunday. Speaks to why he still might have a chance with treatment.
To answer why #Romo not on injury report last week: @dallascowboys don't need to report if he doesn't miss practice & no risk to miss game.
All due respect to @ESPNNFL reports, if i were @dallascowboys fan, would hold out hope for Tony Romo based on my previous tweets.#NotDoneYet
I believe Romo had herniated disc before Sunday and that it likely got worse. Key is for good @dallascowboys medical staff to calm symptoms.
I don't doubt reports that #Romo has herniated disc and needs surgery. I doubt he needs it right now. NFL players have finished season first
To say #Romo is definitely done for season is premature. Even if he doesn't play Sunday, season could go longer. (Don't laugh)

Amos Magliocco ‏@amosmagliocco 11h
@ProFootballDoc Star-Telegram's @MacEngelProf speculates Romo had herniated disc before the season: http://******/1jCxEIs The "cyst."
@amosmagliocco @MacEngelProf Thanks. I have no idea if cyst is related to herniated disc. Depends on location. Just making general comments.

Mac Engel ‏@MacEngelProf 11h
It was an injury. I ain't buyin that cyst stuff RT @ProFootballDoc @amosmagliocco No idea if cyst is related to herniated disc.
David J. Chao, MD ‏@ProFootballDoc 10h
@MacEngelProf @amosmagliocco Neither am I buying it. I don't know where cyst was and where this herniated disc is. Do you?

Brandon Hagarty ‏@bhagarty13 11h
@ProFootballDoc @JasonWitten DAL is keeping most of the details quiet. It looked like he injured his leg after he did a spin move.
David J. Chao, MD ‏@ProFootballDoc 11h
@bhagarty13 @JasonWitten Weakness from pain and spasm (recoverable) or weakness from progressive nerve issue (surgery)? I don't know which.

Tim Cowlishaw ‏@TimCowlishaw 1h
Having known others with herniated discs what @ProFootballDoc has to say about Romo having chance to play makes a lot of sense.
David J. Chao, MD ‏@ProFootballDoc 1h
@TimCowlishaw If Romo issues a result of spasm from disc, he has a chance. If direct nerve compression and progresive neurologic loss, out.

Last edited:

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
So there still is some hope. Just a question right now on the extent of the injury. Thanks for the post WG!

DavidS

Reaction score
These are the opinions from a Former NFL Team Physician with 17 years of sideline experience

N7stbaX.png

dyzLU7G.png

OCuIlYV.png

bTBKLoW.png

2uMbBeY.png

l2d4cmS.png

e2xeHc7.png

foofighters

Reaction score
Christmas miracles can happen!! Yay!

No matter what you feel about Romo, if he is anywhere near healthwise to where he's been, he gives us the best chance at winning.

Gadfly22

Reaction score
I appreciate the medical insight. But I think we really need to uncover the truth about Romo's injury: it's really a herniated hamstring. Isn't it?

rbr651

Reaction score
Loss of bowel and bladder or complete loss of feeling in his leg really would require immediate surgery. The cyst could of easily been a synovial cyst, I also had one removed last year. As far as the part about the steroid injections, they are absolutely worth less. I've worked in the Air Force for the past 18 years, fighter aircraft maintenance, and herniations are quite common in what I do. I've had maybe 12-15 injections myself, and seen it done to dozens of others without positive results. Pro athlete or not, if he's having nerve issues, I would say it's unlikely that he's ever 100% again. The neck is one thing, the lumbar region is a whole other ballgame.