Projected 53 and PS per Cowboywire

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
All In: Cowboys projected 53-man roster, depth chart, practice squad
dallas_prjctd_depth_off.jpg

By: K.D. Drummond | May 4, 2016 10:00 am ET

With the conclusion of the NFL draft, the picture of what the Cowboys have moving forward is in focus. By our count, with the undrafted free agent signings on top of the nine draft selections, Dallas is up to 87 players on the roster.

We have yet to see the list of players invited to tryout at this week’s rookie minicamp. Some of the names below will be short-lived, some might stick around and there might just be the next Jeff Heath, Barry Church, Cole Beasley, Dan Bailey or even Tony Romo lurking among the bunch.

Here is CowboysWire’s best guess as to how the current crop will fair over the next several months, as all eyes start to focus on Oxnard and the Cowboys 2016 training camp.

QUARTERBACK (3)
gettyimages-158030944.jpg

(Photo by Joe Robbins/Getty Images)

Obviously Tony Romo and Dak Prescott are making the 53. For now Kellen Moore remains, though there has to be hope a better veteran becomes available as the off-season progresses. The question is whether it’s in time to get them properly acclimated to a system Moore already knows well. Showers could be the practice squad guy, but shouldn’t all available reps be going to Prescott? For now, we will keep Showers, who plays safety and special teams in preseason.

http://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/201...ted-53-man-roster-depth-chart-practice-squad/

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
...so why have they decided that Rico Gathers will be a DE? That's literally the dumbest thing I could think of doing with him

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
...so why have they decided that Rico Gathers will be a DE? That's literally the dumbest thing I could think of doing with him

He has the size, speed and athleticism for it. I'd rather he be a Pro Bowl caliber TE than a so so DE. But I'd love to have a 8-12 sack DE.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
He has the size, speed and athleticism for it. I'd rather he be a Pro Bowl caliber TE than a so so DE. But I'd love to have a 8-12 sack DE.

The learning at DE is just too great imo. The number of pass rush moves needed to be a consistent player there is too much to expect him to learn if he hasn't played football since middle school. At TE, he can *at least* be a decent redzone option just based off his height and athletic ability if he can become a consistent pass catcher. The blocking will take a long time to get better at, but not as long as it takes to learn pass rush moves and when to use which ones.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
The learning at DE is just too great imo. The number of pass rush moves needed to be a consistent player there is too much to expect him to learn if he hasn't played football since middle school. At TE, he can *at least* be a decent redzone option just based off his height and athletic ability if he can become a consistent pass catcher. The blocking will take a long time to get better at, but not as long as it takes to learn pass rush moves and when to use which ones.

I think the cerebral part is much harder at TE. He has to develop hands as well. At DE he can get by with speed for his outside move as he refines his bend, etc. A bull rush and swim move can be learned as well. IDK his skills or natural strength to be able to have an opinion where he fits best. They'll have to make a decision and try to stick to it for the best results.