Projected Cuts

Leadbelly

Reaction score
Good overviews from Spotrac and OverTheCap of who might get the axe for assorted reasons.

http://www.spotrac.com/research/nfl/first-look-potential-2017-roster-bubble-players-621/

http://overthecap.com

If we look to fill spots with cuts instead of free agents this year, we could conceivably get a full complement of fairly high comp picks in '18. T Will, Carr, Leary, Claiborne, T McClain, Church, and others will sign for high enough contracts to pick up mid-round picks.

Some names that stuck out...

WR
Torrey Smith -- Still young deep threat and has had no QB the last two years. Undervalued.
Brandon Marshall -- A season removed from a 1,500 15TD year.
Eric Decker -- Injured shoulder in game 3 and never returned. Season removed from 12 TD year.

TE
Jason Witten -- I was surprised to see him but saves us $7,4mil. Probably a team friendly extension.
Jimmy Graham -- In case Witten moves on. Some injury issues in Seattle.

OT
Sebastian Vollmer -- About half the cost of Free for similar ability. Somewhat injury prone.

DL
Haloti Ngata -- Would be perfect at 1tech in a rotation that keeps him fresh.
Clay Matthews -- Unlikely cut but high cap number. Could easily be a 10+ sack guy in a rotation.
Connor Barwin -- Hasn't fit with new D and they have other options at DE.
Pernell McPhee -- Kind of an Alvin Harper. Never met expectations and doesn't fit as OLB in 34.
Elvis Dumervil -- Definitely on the decline but could fill a niche in rotation as a savvy vet.

CB
Kyle Fuller -- Nagging knee and fell out with head coach. Still on rookie deal. Probably trade.
Darrelle Revis -- Average CB paid like a star. If he wants to sign cheap, incentive-laden deal.
Vontae Davis -- Turns 29. Not a great year but a solid guy to get by with for a year.
Dom Rodgers-Cromartie -- Not sure what he does in the 14 other games but shows up vs us.
Davon House -- Year removed from solid season but imploded this year and was benched early.

BoysWin

Reaction score
Good overviews from Spotrac and OverTheCap of who might get the axe for assorted reasons.

http://www.spotrac.com/research/nfl/first-look-potential-2017-roster-bubble-players-621/

If we look to fill spots with cuts instead of free agents this year, we could conceivably get a full complement of fairly high comp picks in '18. T Will, Carr, Leary, Claiborne, T McClain, Church, and others will sign for high enough contracts to pick up mid-round picks.

WR
Torrey Smith -- Still young deep threat and has had no QB the last two years. Undervalued.
Eric Decker -- Injured shoulder in game 3 and never returned. Season removed from 12 TD year.

TE
Jason Witten -- I was surprised to see him but saves us $7,4mil. Probably a team friendly extension.

OT
Sebastian Vollmer -- About half the cost of Free for similar ability. Somewhat injury prone.

DL
Clay Matthews -- Unlikely cut but high cap number. Could easily be a 10+ sack guy in a rotation.
Pernell McPhee -- Kind of an Alvin Harper. Never met expectations and doesn't fit as OLB in 34.
Elvis Dumervil -- Definitely on the decline but could fill a niche in rotation as a savvy vet.

CB
Kyle Fuller -- Nagging knee and fell out with head coach. Still on rookie deal. Probably trade.
Darrelle Revis -- Average CB paid like a star. If he wants to sign cheap, incentive-laden deal.
Vontae Davis -- Turns 29. Not a great year but a solid guy to get by with for a year.
Dom Rodgers-Cromartie -- Not sure what he does in the 14 other games but shows up vs us.
Davon House -- Year removed from solid season but imploded this year and was benched early.

All in on Eric Decker if signed to an incentive contract - how many games played similar to Sean Lee.......

Verdict

Reaction score
Any of the 3 receivers listed would be an upgrade over Williams and Butler. Probably more expensive, but an upgrade.

Star Guard_31

Reaction score

WR

TE

OT

DL

CB

Be careful...I suggested Torrey Smith in another thread and got flamed for 3 pages.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Be careful...I suggested Torrey Smith in another thread and got flamed for 3 pages.
What were the negatives about Smith?

His stats at SF obviously don't match his contract, but they have QB problems there.

Carson

Reaction score

His stats at SF obviously don't match his contract, but they have QB problems there.

0 consistency at QB. He will be 29, so his speed isn't what it used to be.

Star Guard_31

Reaction score

From my perspective, none. He is a very good #2 who didn't live up to the #1 money. He's the "right kinda guy", has better deep speed than Williams, and (minus his time in S.F.) has significantly outproduced Williams.

Others on this board feigned not knowing he was still in the league, stated he would never play another season after this year, etc. To me it showed while there's deep Dallas knowledge here, many of the more tenured and respected posters here lack a leaguewide appreciation for football that extends past the Cowboys.

haleyrules

Reaction score

WR

TE

OT

DL

CB
Nice post. Good work!

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Cowboys cuts

Free saves 5m
Hanna saves 1.5m
Wilber saves 1.25m
AMorris saves 1.67m

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cowboys cuts

Free saves 5m
Hanna saves 1.5m
Wilber saves 1.25m
AMorris saves 1.67m

Green filled in well for Smith for those few games. So if he is healthy, I have no issues cutting Free, drafting an OT, and let them compete for RT. Save the cap room. Or even bring in a FA to compete.

Hanna, I would keep at that contract, they can save 1.5 elsewhere I think. His run blocking is needed, though he and Swaim are coming off of injuries, but both should be ready and at 100%.

Wilber, I'm not even sure why they extended him. Other than ST's, he brings nothing. I been waiting for them to replace him for the past 3 years.

Morris, yes he can go, other than the 1st game, he only had a few decent runs in the next 15 games. Though he was inactive for the latter parts too. However, it would cost as much to probably replace him with a vet RB, and drafting a backup. No draft that RB to repalce Dunbar. Bring back McFadden as backup RB.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Green filled in well for Smith for those few games. So if he is healthy, I have no issues cutting Free, drafting an OT, and let them compete for RT. Save the cap room. Or even bring in a FA to compete.

Hanna, I would keep at that contract, they can save 1.5 elsewhere I think. His run blocking is needed, though he and Swaim are coming off of injuries, but both should be ready and at 100%.

Wilber, I'm not even sure why they extended him. Other than ST's, he brings nothing. I been waiting for them to replace him for the past 3 years.

Morris, yes he can go, other than the 1st game, he only had a few decent runs in the next 15 games. Though he was inactive for the latter parts too. However, it would cost as much to probably replace him with a vet RB, and drafting a backup. No draft that RB to repalce Dunbar. Bring back McFadden as backup RB.
We don't need to spend 3m on a blocking TE....they are found everywhere

Witten, Swaim, Gathers, Draft and we are golden

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Cowboys cuts

Free saves 5m
Hanna saves 1.5m
Wilber saves 1.25m
AMorris saves 1.67m

I'm not sure I'd make any of these cuts besides Morris. I want to upgrade from Free, but Green has shown that we can't depend on him. If we are able to land a guy that can start at RT when Green ultimately gets hurt, sure, but I wouldn't rush.

I'd look else where to save $1.5 million than Hanna. When Swaim went down, there was a difference in our ability to run out of 2 TE sets, so I really want to keep Hanna and Swaim.

Wilber only makes $1.75 million and considering we will likely lose Gahckar and Wilcox who are core special team players, it would be unwise to release Wilber for such a small amount of savings. Now if we resign Gachkar for $1.5 million, sure, otherwise I'd keep him.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
We don't need to spend 3m on a blocking TE....they are found everywhere

Witten, Swaim, Gathers, Draft and we are golden

Yes blocking TEs can be found, but we never added one when Swaim went down, because two dimensional TEs can not be found easily. I'm not saying he's great, but both Swaim and Hanna are capable of catching bootlegs and turning them up field for large gains. Unless a really good TE falls in our lap, I'd rather use the draft pick else where and I'm not sure if the cap savings of $1.5 will be worth it when we factor in the cost of his replacement.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I'm going to out on a limb and guess this was a veiled reference to that thread that wanted to trade Romo for Torrey Smith straight up a while back.