Projected starters and where we have upgraded

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
That’s a fair prediction and I know we're all hoping for that. But unless he’s not like most rookie WRs, he’s going to need to some time to develop. Young receivers in this league need some time. I believe he’s a great pick, but I don’t think he’s going to immediately light it up.
Doesn’t have to immediately light up. Did Cobb light up last year. He didn’t. 800 yards a 4 tds is nothing for lamb. TDS he will beat for sure.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Lol I could say the same for you. We will see whose defensive line is better once the season begins. I’m banking on Dallas

Tell a non-Cowboys fan, that knows football well, that Dallas has a better DL than the Eagles and they'll laugh in your face.

Hell their backup DT, Malik Jackson, would be our best DT on the roster.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tell a non-Cowboys fan, that knows football well, that Dallas has a better DL than the Eagles and they'll laugh in your face.

It’s hard sometimes to take off the fan glasses and see things more objectively. We fans too often see what we want or wish to see. Which is why many rabid fans of all teams think the refs screw their team every week, lol. They never see the same bad calls made against the other team because they aren’t looking for it.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
It’s hard sometimes to take off the fan glasses and see things more objectively. We fans too often see what we want or wish to see. Which is why many rabid fans of all teams think the refs screw their team every week, lol. They never see the same bad calls made against the other team because they aren’t looking for it.
It is hard at times I must admit, but it just happens too often.

Every 5th rounder we draft is better than a solid starter on another team.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I guess you're confused, players being active/inactive doesn't impact depth, nsither does development from players. Zero.

Here's an easy way to look at it.

2019 WR depth: Tavon, Smith, Wilson, Brown, Bryant, JVJ
2020 WR depth: Smith, Wilson, Bryant, Brown, JVJ

Each depth WR simply was moved one spot on the depth chart.

Hope that helps, have a good weekend.

You got the order on our depth wrong.

2019 WR depth: Tavon, Wilson, Bryant: Inactive Smith: PS JVJ, Brown
(was Brown even on the PS, or IR? I thought IR.)

Who is active matters. Having Smith *inactive* against the Jets, with Cobb out and Gallup and Cooper going into the game injured, probably lost us that game and a playoff birth. The mighty Tavon was the only healthy WR with any experience left in the game. Could have used another one.

We don't know what 2020 WR depth will look like to start the season, so we don't know the depth we'll have. Smith active with the NPCs, or Tavon active with the NPCs? I'll take Smith.

Hope this helps.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
You got the order on our depth wrong.

2019 WR depth: Tavon, Wilson, Bryant: Inactive Smith: PS JVJ, Brown
(was Brown even on the PS, or IR? I thought IR.)

Who is active matters. Having Smith *inactive* against the Jets, with Cobb out and Gallup and Cooper going into the game injured, probably lost us that game and a playoff birth. The mighty Tavon was the only healthy WR with any experience left in the game. Could have used another one.

We don't know what 2020 WR depth will look like to start the season, so we don't know the depth we'll have. Smith active with the NPCs, or Tavon active with the NPCs? I'll take Smith.

Hope this helps.

I can lead a horse to water. Whatever.

75boyz

Reaction score
3WR as our base is expected. I expect that Jarwin gives up a bunch of snaps on 1st and 2nd down to Pollard, maybe the FB, but is there on 3rd down.

I expect McGovern will give Williams a run for LG, with Williams still not full speed after his knee surgery.

Jarwin > Witten
Pollard2020 > Pollard 2019
Lamb > Cobb
Cobb was very good the back half of 2019, a disaster the front half. Maybe after the disaster, teams worried about him less. Lamb should get more respect than Cobb, and be a much bigger threat with the ball in his hands. Tough row to hoe for defenses to deal with Cooper, Gallup, Zeke, and Lamb. Gotta think he starts the season as the 4th threat on the field, and that's too low for a guy considered a Top 10 talent.
And wow, life should be a breeze for Jarwin as the 5th threat on the field.

Defense
Better: Dix, Poe, maybe McCoy
Best 1T depth since ever.

LVE2020 >> LVE2019 if his neck holds up.
He was never healthy all last year. Vertigo and then out with the neck.

Could use some young LB stepping up. Hope they use Lee at WLB when they go 3 LB. LVE at MLB is just better. Like him better there, like Jaylon better on the edge.

Losing Byron is a big knock, but the DB depth is spread around is pretty good. Young guys getting better, adding Diggs and Dix. I prefer balance in the secondary over one really good guy and holes.

Jaylon? Don't know. He looked ever more feeble as the season wore on. If that was a passing thing, and he's more like 2018, he's much better. If the decline continues, he's much worse.

Lawrence gave us 0.5 sacks in the last 8 games. His overall season numbers were down too. And that was with a legitimate pass rush threat opposite him, and getting almost as much double teaming as he did. Will Lawrence be that 0.5 guy, or back to a double digit sack guy? I'm more hopeful he'll bounce back than Jaylon.

Nice, balanced writeup. Honest and not all rose colored glasses. Great read.

75boyz

Reaction score

Definite extreme bias found here. What's as equally interesting to me is the posts totally touting the Garrett blame narrative as rationalized for the full explanation of last year's losses.
If there is a season, I'm curious to how fan reaction might be if a slow start to the season occurs since the first 3 opponents are supposed to be better than last year's first 3.

Bares watching. Wonder if the pitchforks would come out early.
Gosh forbid a full sub .500 season occurs.

Can't wait. Gonna be fun to read the comments. :)

Techsass

Reaction score
I'm a lot more objective in my thoughts than in my posts, at least when it come to the Cowboys. I also enjoy wearing my fan glasses a lot, so don't you dare try to ruin my referee conspiracy theories.

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

okay let’s do a position by position breakdown of the defensive lines. You will clearly see who the winner is. And get that nonsense out of here, Malik Jackson is NOT better then McCoy

bodi

Reaction score
First-Team Offense

QB Dak Prescott

RB Ezekiel Elliott

TE Blake Jarwin

WR Amari Cooper

WR Michael Gallup

WR CeeDee Lamb

LT Tyron Smith

LG Connor Williams

C Joe Looney

RG Zack Martin

RT Wyatt Miller

where La'el Collins

Wyatt Miller

On December 24, 2019, he was signed by the Dallas Cowboys from the Cincinnati Bengals' practice squad, to take the roster spot of the injured Xavier Su'a-Filo.[5] He was declared inactive in the season finale against the Washington Commanders.\

Offensive line
Starters: Tyron Smith, Connor Williams, Joe Looney, Zack Martin, La’el Collins

Backups: Mitch Hyatt, Brandon Knight, Connor McGovern, Adam Redmond

Longshots: Wyatt Miller, Cody Wichmann, Marcus Henry

Cowboys LG Connor Williams (knee) will be limited during the early part of training camp.
Williams is is nine months into his ACL recovery. The Cowboys will give Connor McGovern first-team reps until he returns.

SOURCE: Dallas Morning News
Aug 14, 2020, 6:47 PM ET

DuncanIso

Reaction score

Jon Machota posted what appears to be our projected starters at the beginning of the season. Looks like we have several upgrades. Like the addition of Everson Griffin is certainly an upgrade. Will Cedee Lamb be an upgrade over Cobb? Probably in a year, but not at first.

Anyway, it’s a very good looking set of starters.

IMO:
Definite Upgrade: DT, DE (additions of Poe, McCoy and Griffin)
Possible Upgrade: TE, Slot receiver (Lamb), S (Clinton-Dix)
Probable Downgrade: C (Hopefully not for long)

Anyway, looking at the starters this year, where have we upgraded and where have we possibly downgraded in your estimation?

this is the D nick package.

SLee is the 3rd LB.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I think Looney is an above average run blocker. Very good in fact. But...he is below average as a pass blocker and this is where I have concern for the long term C situation. Looney is a really good backup to have for our line. Can play multiple positions. But as a starter, I think he gets exposed.

last I checked, Looney is playing one a one year deal.

he’s also 30 soon.

being UFA, if he has a decent season, he’s probably gone this Spring.

he’s made some good $$$ playing football.