Proof that winning isn't the GM's top priority

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you think a GM should step in and tell the head coach what schemes to run you're as clueless as the guy who has destroyed this franchise.
You think any GM is going to sit idly by while the team spirals with his hire, think again. Would the owner of any team not expect his GM to try and help a team circling the drain? And these were unusual circumstances with all of the teams changing coaches.

Do you think Lynch hasn't talked to Shanahan?

And if you recall, this GM stated that the Cowboys would run a 3/4 after Parcells left.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ok, going to make a change at coaching after 10 years and he hires an O HC with a rep for QB's, deserved or not. Did someone develop Favre and Rodgers? I saw Holmgren with Favre... a lot.

The O is ranked #1 and #2 in passing from the previous season and the glaring problem is the defense.

So, he lets the HC hire his friend, with a very questionable and spotty resume and isn't even a DC in his last two jobs but they allow him to change the D scheme to whatever the hell he calls it on that given day, 3/4 hybrid or 4/3 hybrid and they really don't address the D enough in the draft of FA to make a difference after letting the two most effective players walk.

But then the strangest thing happens, the pandemic and no off season so even teams with no coaching changes or system changes will struggle somewhat but they go ahead and let Nolan change the D?

Didn't McC rehire Moore to give consistency and continuity to the O? And the O was by far the strength of the team. The D has more moving parts and a new system with little time to implement it properly.

Under these circumstances, how can they move forward with a systematic change to the D? But they do and in their first test, get gutted in the run game and we have the MLB, and leader of the D, openly asking the DC to dumb it down.

It is obvious to the most casual observer, this isn't working and isn't going to work because they do not have the time to improve it and they're averaging north of 35 and losing the next 2 of 3 games.

Wouldn't you, as the GM if the HC refuses to do so, step in and tell them to go back to what the players know? We'll install a new D next off season because this isn't working. The players are getting mentally beat before they can get physical. Didn't you see that in the last game they played? They were lost.

So when I see about how much this GM wants to win, more than any other I believe is the phrase, this is proof to the contrary. And any GM with his job on the line would have stepped in by now. Long before the 12th game of the season.
Yep. The biggest proof we have that this GM doesn’t want to win bad enough is his insistence on remaining in charge. He’s either an arrogant fool or just incompetent. Winning? That’s merely a hopeful outcome. Not a true commitment.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Uh, there were absolutely people on this site that thought he was a bad hire. Not me, I thought he was a good hire...but I recall a few people saying this was terrible and that he was Garrett all over again.
Yeah I don’t remember that I seem to remember the consensus being “anyone but Garrett”.

nobody

Reaction score
Yeah I don’t remember that I seem to remember the consensus being “anyone but Garrett”.

The majority were "Anyone but Garrett" but there were ones that thought MM was a bad bad call.

bewp7

Reaction score
the real problem is jerry would rather lose but be the one making all the decisions instead of win with some one else doing it and getting the credit

or jerry ego > every thing else with the cowboys including their success

like usual a gm (who have to answer to the owner or president) their goal would just be win. they hire who ever they have to to make sure they have the best chance to win. but jerry wants to win too...but he has to make sure he get all the credit. i think he is scared to hire some one smarter then him or some thing.

idk what u would call that but it is a problem for us fans haha!

Last edited:

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Ok, going to make a change at coaching after 10 years and he hires an O HC with a rep for QB's, deserved or not. Did someone develop Favre and Rodgers? I saw Holmgren with Favre... a lot.

The O is ranked #1 and #2 in passing from the previous season and the glaring problem is the defense.

So, he lets the HC hire his friend, with a very questionable and spotty resume and isn't even a DC in his last two jobs but they allow him to change the D scheme to whatever the hell he calls it on that given day, 3/4 hybrid or 4/3 hybrid and they really don't address the D enough in the draft of FA to make a difference after letting the two most effective players walk.

But then the strangest thing happens, the pandemic and no off season so even teams with no coaching changes or system changes will struggle somewhat but they go ahead and let Nolan change the D?

Didn't McC rehire Moore to give consistency and continuity to the O? And the O was by far the strength of the team. The D has more moving parts and a new system with little time to implement it properly.

Under these circumstances, how can they move forward with a systematic change to the D? But they do and in their first test, get gutted in the run game and we have the MLB, and leader of the D, openly asking the DC to dumb it down.

It is obvious to the most casual observer, this isn't working and isn't going to work because they do not have the time to improve it and they're averaging north of 35 and losing the next 2 of 3 games.

Wouldn't you, as the GM if the HC refuses to do so, step in and tell them to go back to what the players know? We'll install a new D next off season because this isn't working. The players are getting mentally beat before they can get physical. Didn't you see that in the last game they played? They were lost.

So when I see about how much this GM wants to win, more than any other I believe is the phrase, this is proof to the contrary. And any GM with his job on the line would have stepped in by now. Long before the 12th game of the season.
This is old and this is bull****. Jerry wants to win more than any of us. His idea of going about it is just totally backwards from reality.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

Jerry gets emotionally attached to his people and has an ego that makes it hard to accept that he made a bad decision. He won't get fired for making it, so he can take as long as he likes in the hope that he is proven right.

This team is winning nothing with him in charge. Y'all better hope and pray that his son learns from his father's mistakes. I'm not confident that will happen.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You think any GM is going to sit idly by while the team spirals with his hire, think again. Would the owner of any team not expect his GM to try and help a team circling the drain? And these were unusual circumstances with all of the teams changing coaches.

Do you think Lynch hasn't talked to Shanahan?

And if you recall, this GM stated that the Cowboys would run a 3/4 after Parcells left.

Um, Coach Couch...you might have noticed that our GM is one of the worst the sports world has ever seen. So referencing what he did only makes my point for me.

Coaches coach. Any GM on planet Earth that dictates what schemes to run is a bad GM. He's got a puppet for a head coach.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
We can't have it both ways though. We can't say we want Jerry to not meddle but be upset with him because Nolan got hired by McCarthy...........I believe the head coach needs to have the power of what staff he wants to hire. McCarty screwed up. Not Jerry.
Valid point.