Prospect Top 5s: QB

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Wanted to do a quick top 5 for each position group as we enter in earnest draft season.

Starting with QB.

1. Trevor Lawrence --- I am lower on TL than most but he's still easily the best QB prospect in this draft and it's top overall value given the value of a QB. Trevor was arguably the most poised and polished freshman we've seen in a decade plus. But there are legit questions about whether or not he really improved and if some ACC seasons held back his play versus top competition(this gets asked everywhere but the SEC so it is what it is). I think the comp is DeShaun Watson. Long, lean with elite straight-line speed. Could eat some sacks and came out of the same collegiate system. I am not a massive fan of guys over 6'4" at QB. May seem a weird thing but I prefer more compact throwing motions and smaller targets areas for defenders. TL is build a lot like Carson Wentz

2. Justin Fields --- I think Fields overall athletic package is eerily reminiscent to Josh Allen. He doesn't always see the best read right away and he may need a couple seasons to get comfortable in an NFL offense but he is tough as nails and will battle day 1. He's not as scheme diverse as TL but he may actually be more moldable if a team selects him with a vision. Fields has a thicker build and can stand up to NFL hits. But he may take a lot of hits early if he can't read tricky NFL defenses. OC/player combo will be important.

3. Zach Wilson --- Wilson is rocketing up boards and looks 100% locked in as pick 2. I wouldn't make that move but understand why others might. The big question for Wilson is have you ever beaten a good team? And I just don't know the answer is really yes. He's beaten some OK teams and he has probably performed about as you'd expect with the talent around him being less than stellar. But I don't see Aaron Rodgers or Patrick Mahomes as some people try to suggest. I think Wilson is far more Baker Mayfield than either of the other 2. Lots of fire and plus arm talent with a similar size and athletic profile

4. Trey Lance --- Full disclosure. this is based off about 30 minutes of study. I am not a guy with elite connections for Trey film.

But to me Trey is the prototype size and athleticism. He's 6'4" and 230. Build as solid as Dak and with a lot of the same characteristics. He obviously has level of play concerns and we don't know how he will handle NFL Xs and Os but his potential is there to be a Pro Bowl QB.

5. Davis Mills. --- I like Davis just a bit better than Mac Jones. Davis hasn't played a ton of football but offers an intriguing talent base. I am a fan of Stanford guys in general for the pro style offense and the academic requirements. If you asked me to name a guy in round 2 or 3 that could be a near term NFL starter that tops out around 18-20th best QB this would be guy. I think he's got a little better arm talent and athletic profile than Mac Jones.