Protests/riots against Buccs owner

csirl

Reaction score
I see an EPL fixture was postponed today as Mancester Utd fans held a violent protest against Joel Glazer. Stormed the stadium.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Glazers don't get it. The English are far more fierce in their support of clubs. You don't buy your way in and then try to mess with the century old traditions and rivalries. If an EPL owner tried to move a team like we see routinely in the NFL, he would have to have private security 24/7 for the rest of his life. Those teams are all about tradition and part of the fabric of the areas they represent. The Glazers were already super unpopular for buying the team as outsiders and then saddling them with the debt used to purchase the team. To then go and take part in destroying UEFA and Champions League was just stupid. They read the room very wrong.

joseephuss

Reaction score
What I find strange about all of this Superleague stuff is that it is presented as if it just happened suddenly without any warning. This was talked about for quite a bit of time and I guess many fans and media just didn't take it seriously or forgot about it. Then when the teams finally did make their move, the fans woke up and were "Oh, you were serious about this!"

csirl

Reaction score
What I find strange about all of this Superleague stuff is that it is presented as if it just happened suddenly without any warning. This was talked about for quite a bit of time and I guess many fans and media just didn't take it seriously or forgot about it. Then when the teams finally did make their move, the fans woke up and were "Oh, you were serious about this!"

Fully agree. This has been talked about for years.

I found it interesting is how it was portrayed in the UK media. It's clear that media influencers in the UK decided to take a stance against it. When the news first broke, it was portrayed as if the teams were joining a European Superleague at the expense of the Premier League, when in reality none were leaving the PL and it was at the expense of the UEFA Champions League. Then when this became clear, the UK media went xenophobic - really attacking American and other non-British owners and making them out to be evil.

You have to wonder that if the media influencers had tapped into the Brexit mentality and portrayed it as English clubs and their friends sticking it to the Europeans (UEFA) would this have worked out differently?

The big irony was Man Utd fans rioting. Uniteds successful years were built on abandoning local Manchester fans and appealing to property developers and banking tycoons. It became a status symbol to get a private helicopter to Old Trafford, eat prawn sandwiches and drink champagne and leave without even knowing or caring who won the match.