Proud, Shocked, Devastated, Bewildered

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Proud:

Of a defense that showed up and played better than it had in a long time. We feared Seattle would march up and down the field. Changes were made in some schemes...coverage was much better...forced punts and turnovers, allowed 2 fg's in first half and 1 td drive through most of the game.

Offense played well against a very good front 7...Romo struggled early but so did last year's SB QB. Engineered key final drive and lead at the half...stretched that lead to 7 points, letting us all breath a little late. JJ ran the ball well, made some moves and broke some arm tackles.

Shocked:

Terry Glenn, of all people. Dropped a key first down pass early. Then the PLAY...we had a 7 point lead, perfect call and perfect pass to get out of shadow of end zone...he stumbled, bumbled, and then fumbled...that was the key play of the game that lead to a 9 point swing for Seattle. IMO, the biggest play of the game. Even Barber dropped a pass on perfectly set up play with wall of blockers in front of him on third down...wow.

Devastated:

Romo played solid down the stretch, giving us a chance to win in the 2nd half...Witten is great, but he never seems to be able to fall forward when he needs to...The botched hold on the FG :banghead: ...there's just nothing else to say about it...devastated as a fan, but this was a young QB's first time in a playoff game, a closely fought game, against a perennial probowl QB, last year's SB QB, and Romo outplayed him the entire game from the QB position...that people would call for him to be replaced as QB for botching the hold on a FG is just emotional irrationality.

Bewildered:

Clearly, a hard fought, winnable game, turned on the Glenn fumble and the Romo drop, but...........................I'm bewildered by a few things.
Big play in first half that led to a FG: Ware misses the WR off the line and he beats Roy for a big gainer...why do we have a LB and Roy on a WR?
First TD to TE, Roy stands his ground too long hoping QB will throw the slant and he'll be there, meanwhile letting his man beat him outside and score an easy TD. Final TD: Brady, who actually showed up and made some plays in this game, is covering the TE on a long pass play all the way to the goal line with only Roy to help. YEs Roy seems to be in the right spot for some INT's from time to time, but anyone who still wants to argue that he is good in coverage is crazy...he can't even cover the TE. We never saw Seattle throw towards WAtkins--they had a plan. TNew can't be perfect, but again this week, he had one horrible series that lead to their first TD.

I'm also bewildered that our probowl punter is so good when taking the snap and so horrible on the free kick. The last time we had a safety, he shanked the free kick out of bounds very short...I mentioned that to my friend, and he hits a short and low punt this time too. Weird.

This is a loss that will be very hard to get over, only because we managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory...however, by what we'd seen in the past month against every opponent, I am very proud that our guys competed tonight...they flew around, never gave up, and were hitting all game....we also managed to get fairly good pressure on the QB, and we ran some blitzes that came through clean, even though some guys missed tackles. Hard loss to swallow, but the best effort we'd had in awhile and I prefer this over embarrassing ourselves with no defense as in previous weeks.

Props: Julius Jones who ran hard...and don't forget his timely play to be alert and cover that early fumble by Romo that could have been disasterous.

Props also to Miles Austin...an electrifying kick return that, unfortunately, will now be forgotten easily.

Props: Carpenter made me a believer tonight...his best game all year in a pressure situation...clearly, he's a player.

Well, boys, ......... Bring on FA and the Draft, and let's get after it again next year... Anything that doesn't kill you will only make you stronger.

StevenOtero

Reaction score
wayne_motley;1295173 said:
Proud:

Of a defense that showed up and played better than it had in a long time. We feared Seattle would march up and down the field. Changes were made in some schemes...coverage was much better...forced punts and turnovers, allowed 2 fg's in first half and 1 td drive through most of the game.

Offense played well against a very good front 7...Romo struggled early but so did last year's SB QB. Engineered key final drive and lead at the half...stretched that lead to 7 points, letting us all breath a little late. JJ ran the ball well, made some moves and broke some arm tackles.

Shocked:

Terry Glenn, of all people. Dropped a key first down pass early. Then the PLAY...we had a 7 point lead, perfect call and perfect pass to get out of shadow of end zone...he stumbled, bumbled, and then fumbled...that was the key play of the game that lead to a 9 point swing for Seattle. IMO, the biggest play of the game.

Devastated:

Romo played solid down the stretch, giving us a chance to win in the 2nd half...Witten is great, but he never seems to be able to fall forward when he needs to...The botched hold on the FG :banghead: ...there's just nothing else to say about it...devastated as a fan, but this was a young QB's first time in a playoff game, a closely fought game, against a perennial probowl QB, last year's SB QB, and Romo outplayed him the entire game from the QB position...that people would call for him to be replaced as QB for botching the hold on a FG is just emotional irrationality.

Bewildered:

Clearly, a hard fought, winnable game, turned on the Glenn fumble and the Romo drop, but...........................I'm bewildered by a few things.
Big play in first half that led to a FG: Ware misses the WR off the line and he beats Roy for a big gainer...why do we have a LB and Roy on a WR?
First TD to TE, Roy stands his ground too long hoping QB will throw the slant and he'll be there, meanwhile letting his man beat him outside and score an easy TD. Final TD: Brady, who actually showed up and made some plays in this game, is covering the TE on a long pass play all the way to the goal line with only Roy to help. YEs Roy seems to be in the right spot for some INT's from time to time, but anyone who still wants to argue that he is good in coverage is crazy...he can't even cover the TE. We never saw Seattle throw towards WAtkins--they had a plan. TNew can't be perfect, but again this week, he had one horrible series that lead to their first TD.

I'm also bewildered that our probowl punter is so good when taking the snap and so horrible on the free kick. The last time we had a safety, he shanked the free kick out of bounds very short...I mentioned that to my friend, and he hits a short and low punt this time too. Weird.

This is a loss that will be very hard to get over, only because we managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory...however, by what we'd seen in the past month against every opponent, I am very proud that our guys competed tonight...they flew around, never gave up, and were hitting all game....we also managed to get fairly good pressure on the QB, and we ran some blitzes that came through clean, even though some guys missed tackles. Hard loss to swallow, but the best effort we'd had in awhile and I prefer this over embarrassing ourselves with no defense as in previous weeks.

Props: Julius Jones who ran hard...and don't forget his timely play to be alert and cover that early fumble by Romo that could have been disasterous.

Props also to Miles Austin...an electrifying kick return that, unfortunately, will now be forgotten easily.

Props: Carpenter made me a believer tonight...his best game all year in a pressure situation...clearly, he's a player.

Well, boys, ......... Bring on FA and the Draft, and let's get after it again next year... Anything that doesn't kill you will only make you stronger.
Once again I have to use the :hammer:

LucaBrasi

Sleeps with the fishes
Reaction score
great post.

I feel bad for Tony Romo. He choked there at the end, but man at least he cares. Sometimes, most times, I feel like I care more than the players, but I don't think that's the case with Romo. Hopefully he'll bounce back and make this just a footnote to his career.

cowboyz

Reaction score
yup good post, but you forget to give props to demarcus ware who made a number of plays, created great pressure. and blew up the 1st and goal run.

the reason why bradie james was covering is because they were running cover 2. the mlb is supposed to cover the middle.

hasselbeck explained it. they used the outside wr to keep the safeties, and exploited bradie down the middle with the te.

it's why cover 2 teams usualy have a fast mlb like cato june, derrick brooks, etc. it also hopes that you get a pass rush, which was completely nonexistent.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Great post Wayne.

Bring on the FA, DRaft, changes....and let come what may.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Excellent post, Wayne. I'm even more befuddled by why we went to a 3 man pass rush on Seattle's last TD. And why we appeared to be in our base D on 1st and 10 from the 2 after Romo dropped the snap.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Can't say I'm proud of anything, sitting there watching the game I was pointing out all of our problems, and we were doing the same things again.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
cowboyz;1295324 said:
the reason why bradie james was covering is because they were running cover 2. the mlb is supposed to cover the middle.

hasselbeck explained it. they used the outside wr to keep the safeties, and exploited bradie down the middle with the te.

I'm not going to argue whether that's the scheme or not, but even if it is, the cover 2 means there are 2 safeties playing halves and they are still supposed to be deeper than the deepest.

There's no way a MLB, any MLB, is going to run with a good TE 40-50 yards. The TE was the deepest guy in the pattern...the TE was catching some balls for significant yardage and had already scored once...there's no way, imo, that Roy shouldn't have been there in time to make the play and no way I would expect our MLB, even if it was still Dat, to cover the TE that far downfield....but again, we had the game won despite Seattle's TD's.:bang2:

newlander

Reaction score
Very nice post Wayne, captures my feeling quite well. Lets get the interior line rebuilt on both sides of the ball. The people in here who want to replace Romo, J.Jones, R.Williams, etc....really don't know a thing about the game. They are all very effective with better players in front of them in the trenches.