PS Game 1 OL Deep Dive

McMicah

Reaction score
Just like last year, I go back after every preseason game and watch every play at least 5x to watch each O Lineman. Here are my observations (TLDR: backup IOL is just fine, backup OT is scary)

Starting 5 were Edoga, Richards, Hoffman, Bass, Waletzko

Great performers:
Guyton - No, I’m not just saying that because he’s a 1st round pick. It was a small sample size of 21 snaps, but he had no bad plays and some really dominant ones. He’s not Tyron Smith (yet), but he played with control, power, and quickness. No mental mistakes either. Get excited! He has excellent push in the run game. My favorite play was Lances big scramble where a guy try an inside move on Guyton and Guyton just decided to wash him toward the right sideline. I think the scouting department might have done it again!

Richards - I do not understand how this guy doesn’t get more love. He was excellent. He played 27 snaps at LG and 6 at LT. He’s good at both, honestly. He’s a better tackle than waletzko and Edoga, and a better guard than Beebe or Bass or Ball (yes, I said that). Watch him in pass pro. He doesn’t really go backwards, just stonewalls guys. He also pretty nasty in run plays. I think he got beat once and didn’t quite get to a reach block on a sweep toss and that was all I could find negative

Good Performers:
Ball
- I moved Josh down from great to good at the last minute because he blew an assignment and got beat badly on one other play…Other than that, he was really good on 38 snaps. He might be the most underrated OL on the team. The difference between him and Asim is that he’s slightly less consistent, but is an absolute bully. Like Asim, he barely moves back in pass pro, but in the run game, holy cow. He pushes guys out more than anyone else on the line. I’ll be shocked if they cut him.

Hoffman - I’ll admit up front last year I was Hoffmans biggest hater, and I still maintain he was awful. Clearly he worked hard this offseason, and has improved a lot. That said, he was good, not great. Truthfully, he looked like a Biadasz clone (you decide if that’s good or bad). I also didn’t see much of a difference between him and Beebe in power or technique, but he definitely wins in being the brain of the OL. My only thing that irks me is that he gets walked back pretty easily by backups in the lap of Lance. Excited and a little nervous to see him this year.

Beebe - Beebe played really well for a rookie. No botched snaps and got some pancakes. He did seem to struggle with stunts and I think just forgot what to do on a couple plays, but he did great in pass and run blocking. He’d be a great C/G flex guy. He does get pushed back in pass pro way more than Asim and Ball. Honestly I noticed almost no drop off between him and Hoffman athletically, just a slight difference in mental side, which I expect from a rookie

‘Meh’ Performers:
Bass - Like Ball, I moved bass down at the last second. He was actually comparable to Beebe and Hoffman, but he anchors against power a little better, and (here’s why he’s ‘meh’) he gets killed by speed rushers more than he should. He had a few bad plays and missed an assignment. He’s also not the most powerful guy in the run game but he’s serviceable.

Shepley - This guy wasn’t bad at all. It was a smaller sample size but I only tallied one really bad play. I have no clue where he came from but he held up ok playing C and G, although I’ll take Beebe over him

Lineman That Make Me Sad:
Edoga
- I don’t even care about the injury. Edoga shouldn’t be on this team. At best he’s a progress stopper for Richards or someone else. He only played one series (6 snaps) but literally every other play I graded as a bad snap. He’s always hurt and isn’t good. I just don’t get it. He reaches and over extends, is slow, gets knocked back quickly against power, is useless pulling…just ugh. I get that we need a swing tackle, but I’d take Bostick over him (and I don’t like Bostick)

Bostick - See? Told ya. To me, Bostick is just a healthy version of Waletzko or Edoga, but I like his upside a tiny bit better cause he plays both sides. He had a BAD 2nd qtr and early 3rd qtr. Really bad. He had 17 snaps at RT and over 35 snaps at LT. He’s wasn’t great at either but seems more comfy on the right side. After 5m into the 3rd, he actually played ok. He gets beat by speed around the corner and gets pushed into the QBs lap way too fast.

Waletzko - Woof. This guy had a rough game. Probably my lowest performer and he only played one position, which is why he scares me more than Bostick. He does sometimes get decent push in the run game but as a pass blocker it’s just holding your breath every play. When he gets beat, it’s immediate. And I noticed multiple times he punches and HE goes backwards like his punch rebounded on him. He was in Lances lap way too fast on lots of plays, and has all the same tendencies I listed for Edoga. I’m also just waiting for him to get hurt like he always does

Pumped about the interior and Guyton, but Houston we have a OT problem

Let me know what you guys thought about OL below

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
If Hoffman is a Biadasz clone then that is very bad news. The fact he gets manhandled and pushed back to the QB lap is the last thing I want to see. Beebe should win the starting spot early in the season. Always have had high expectations from Richards. Guyton will start game one, he may not be Tyron now, but he will be a more aggressive LT. Some nasty ain’t bad.

Dallas needs to make some quick decisions so the OL can begin to develop some cohesion and confidence.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Hoffman is our starting center. Guyton is our starting OLT. We don't need to go any deeper than that.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I refuse to rate OL until we get a OL coach. It won't be long, maybe game 3. Unless Jerry's going for a top 5 slot in the draft, then it maybe a looong season.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I still think we have great depth. Any other year guys like Guyton and Beebe would be shoo-ins to start. I see both of them starting sometime this year with Hoffman putting up the most resistance. If Steele repeats his last year, even his job might be in jeopardy with Guyton and Richards growing quickly, And yes, Richards does look like most improved player like we were reading, along with Bell at safety. Great problem to have.

McMicah

Reaction score
If Hoffman is a Biadasz clone then that is very bad news. The fact he gets manhandled and pushed back to the QB lap is the last thing I want to see. Beebe should win the starting spot early in the season. Always have had high expectations from Richards. Guyton will start game one, he may not be Tyron now, but he will be a more aggressive LT. Some nasty ain’t bad.

Dallas needs to make some quick decisions so the OL can begin to develop some cohesion and confidence.
I think if they have confidence that Beebe can be a consistent snapper and be the brains of the O Line, then I’d agree he could probably start over Hoffman. However, I do wonder if they see Beebe as the heir for Martin when he leaves. I think if Beebe makes a leap similar to Hoffman in year 2, he will be way better than Hoffman

McMicah

Reaction score
I still think we have great depth. Any other year guys like Guyton and Beebe would be shoo-ins to start. I see both of them starting sometime this year with Hoffman putting up the most resistance. If Steele repeats his last year, even his job might be in jeopardy with Guyton and Richards growing quickly, And yes, Richards does look like most improved player like we were reading, along with Bell at safety. Great problem to have.
I honestly thought Asim was good last year. Better than Edoga at least. I’m still very worried about OT depth

Jfconrow

Reaction score
It sounds like we can get excited for Richards and Beebe. Maybe Richards is the swing OT and backup OG. Also I think Beebe should stick to OG.

Creeper

Reaction score
Until yesterday I thought the Cowboys should just play their 5 best offensive linemen regardless of who they are or where they were drafted. Today, I am singing a different tune. This team is going nowhere in 2024. Start the young guys and let them develop, or not. Start Guyton at LT. I think he is already as good as Egoda, and Edoga got hurt again yesterday which is what he seems to do every season. Your LG is Tyler Smith. Start Beebe at C if he can correct any snapping problems he has by week 1. Or Hoffman, I don't think it matters that much. I do think Beebe has more upside in the long run though. Martin is your RG (Bass was a disappointment yesterday). And Steele is the RT.

For me, Bass, Waletzko, Ball, Richards, and the others are battling for backup positions. I like Richards, and we'll see if Waltezko and Ball can make it out of camp without getting injured.

Overall, I don't think the OL looked especially good yesterday. They struggled with the Rams backup DL. By the way, the Rams backup DL looked way better than the Cowboys. Some teams know how to find DL. The Cowboys are not one of those teams.

McMicah

Reaction score
Until yesterday I thought the Cowboys should just play their 5 best offensive linemen regardless of who they are or where they were drafted. Today, I am singing a different tune. This team is going nowhere in 2024. Start the young guys and let them develop, or not. Start Guyton at LT. I think he is already as good as Egoda, and Edoga got hurt again yesterday which is what he seems to do every season. Your LG is Tyler Smith. Start Beebe at C if he can correct any snapping problems he has by week 1. Or Hoffman, I don't think it matters that much. I do think Beebe has more upside in the long run though. Martin is your RG (Bass was a disappointment yesterday). And Steele is the RT.

For me, Bass, Waletzko, Ball, Richards, and the others are battling for backup positions. I like Richards, and we'll see if Waltezko and Ball can make it out of camp without getting injured.

Overall, I don't think the OL looked especially good yesterday. They struggled with the Rams backup DL. By the way, the Rams backup DL looked way better than the Cowboys. Some teams know how to find DL. The Cowboys are not one of those teams.
I’m there with you. If I were playing this group on Madden, here’s my starters and backups

Starters:
Guyton, Smith, Beebe, Martin, Steele

Backups:
Richards, Bass, Hoffman, Ball, Bostick(yikes on Bostick)

JohnsKey19

Reaction score

Im not as high on Hoffman as others but I guess he'll do until Beebe is ready. He's your typical try-hard guy. Not much power. I haven't watched him enough to see what/how he does on the 2nd level.

I'm really impressed with Guyton's ability to move so easily for a huge OT. And it seems he's cleaned up the hand technique issues folks mentioned pre-draft.

Sydla

Reaction score
Guyton being able to lock down LT would be great for the OL. Because if he couldn't/can't, Edoga is so bad IMO that they may have later considered moving Tyler Smith outside.

But with Guyton being able to handle LT, Tyler stays at LG and with Martin at RG, Hoffman is in a great situation to succeed between those two. Then you just worry about Steele at RT and hope last year was just a throw away year as he came back from his knee injury.

jblaze2004

Reaction score
Just like last year, I go back after every preseason game and watch every play at least 5x to watch each O Lineman. Here are my observations (TLDR: backup IOL is just fine, backup OT is scary)

Starting 5 were Edoga, Richards, Hoffman, Bass, Waletzko

Great performers:
Guyton - No, I’m not just saying that because he’s a 1st round pick. It was a small sample size of 21 snaps, but he had no bad plays and some really dominant ones. He’s not Tyron Smith (yet), but he played with control, power, and quickness. No mental mistakes either. Get excited! He has excellent push in the run game. My favorite play was Lances big scramble where a guy try an inside move on Guyton and Guyton just decided to wash him toward the right sideline. I think the scouting department might have done it again!

Richards - I do not understand how this guy doesn’t get more love. He was excellent. He played 27 snaps at LG and 6 at LT. He’s good at both, honestly. He’s a better tackle than waletzko and Edoga, and a better guard than Beebe or Bass or Ball (yes, I said that). Watch him in pass pro. He doesn’t really go backwards, just stonewalls guys. He also pretty nasty in run plays. I think he got beat once and didn’t quite get to a reach block on a sweep toss and that was all I could find negative

Good Performers:
Ball
- I moved Josh down from great to good at the last minute because he blew an assignment and got beat badly on one other play…Other than that, he was really good on 38 snaps. He might be the most underrated OL on the team. The difference between him and Asim is that he’s slightly less consistent, but is an absolute bully. Like Asim, he barely moves back in pass pro, but in the run game, holy cow. He pushes guys out more than anyone else on the line. I’ll be shocked if they cut him.

Hoffman - I’ll admit up front last year I was Hoffmans biggest hater, and I still maintain he was awful. Clearly he worked hard this offseason, and has improved a lot. That said, he was good, not great. Truthfully, he looked like a Biadasz clone (you decide if that’s good or bad). I also didn’t see much of a difference between him and Beebe in power or technique, but he definitely wins in being the brain of the OL. My only thing that irks me is that he gets walked back pretty easily by backups in the lap of Lance. Excited and a little nervous to see him this year.

Beebe - Beebe played really well for a rookie. No botched snaps and got some pancakes. He did seem to struggle with stunts and I think just forgot what to do on a couple plays, but he did great in pass and run blocking. He’d be a great C/G flex guy. He does get pushed back in pass pro way more than Asim and Ball. Honestly I noticed almost no drop off between him and Hoffman athletically, just a slight difference in mental side, which I expect from a rookie

‘Meh’ Performers:
Bass - Like Ball, I moved bass down at the last second. He was actually comparable to Beebe and Hoffman, but he anchors against power a little better, and (here’s why he’s ‘meh’) he gets killed by speed rushers more than he should. He had a few bad plays and missed an assignment. He’s also not the most powerful guy in the run game but he’s serviceable.

Shepley - This guy wasn’t bad at all. It was a smaller sample size but I only tallied one really bad play. I have no clue where he came from but he held up ok playing C and G, although I’ll take Beebe over him

Lineman That Make Me Sad:
Edoga
- I don’t even care about the injury. Edoga shouldn’t be on this team. At best he’s a progress stopper for Richards or someone else. He only played one series (6 snaps) but literally every other play I graded as a bad snap. He’s always hurt and isn’t good. I just don’t get it. He reaches and over extends, is slow, gets knocked back quickly against power, is useless pulling…just ugh. I get that we need a swing tackle, but I’d take Bostick over him (and I don’t like Bostick)

Bostick - See? Told ya. To me, Bostick is just a healthy version of Waletzko or Edoga, but I like his upside a tiny bit better cause he plays both sides. He had a BAD 2nd qtr and early 3rd qtr. Really bad. He had 17 snaps at RT and over 35 snaps at LT. He’s wasn’t great at either but seems more comfy on the right side. After 5m into the 3rd, he actually played ok. He gets beat by speed around the corner and gets pushed into the QBs lap way too fast.

Waletzko - Woof. This guy had a rough game. Probably my lowest performer and he only played one position, which is why he scares me more than Bostick. He does sometimes get decent push in the run game but as a pass blocker it’s just holding your breath every play. When he gets beat, it’s immediate. And I noticed multiple times he punches and HE goes backwards like his punch rebounded on him. He was in Lances lap way too fast on lots of plays, and has all the same tendencies I listed for Edoga. I’m also just waiting for him to get hurt like he always does

Pumped about the interior and Guyton, but Houston we have a OT problem

Let me know what you guys thought about OL below
I don't see how Edoga is playing over Richards either. Maybe he practices better or because he is a vet? But Edoga sucks.

McMicah

Reaction score
I refuse to rate OL until we get a OL coach. It won't be long, maybe game 3. Unless Jerry's going for a top 5 slot in the draft, then it maybe a looong season.
Do you really believe they will fire him?

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd hate to give up on Bass this early. Let's hope for improvement

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
I’m there with you. If I were playing this group on Madden, here’s my starters and backups

Starters:
Guyton, Smith, Beebe, Martin, Steele

Backups:
Richards, Bass, Hoffman, Ball, Bostick(yikes on Bostick)
Nope Bostick is not , maybe the draft pick Nathan or waiver wire. ( Chuma is not going anywhere , unfortuately)