Video: Punter Chris Jones saves touchdown

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Didn't look for youtube version...

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000275185/Punter-saves-touchdown

FWST Spin:

Chris Jones made a nice play on Vikings returner Marcus Sherels in the first quarter.

“I think he probably expected me to break down and shuffle,” Jones said. “We kind of closed on each other so fast that it was kind of one of those go-for-it [deals] and it worked out.”

Jones received some complimentary words from his teammates, saying: “That was a legit tackle. It’s good to know I can lay a lick every now and then.”

Read more here:
http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.com/cowboys/2013/11/cowboys-punter-chris-jones-lays-a-lick.html

pancakeman

Reaction score
Jones had a good game. Earlier in the season I was pretty iffy about his performance.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jones had a good game. Earlier in the season I was pretty iffy about his performance.

It was a great hit.
I had higher hopes for Jones than he's delivered on yet. He's ok, but it's a position that can benefit from legitimate competition in camp next year.

basstapp

Reaction score
I think he had 3 punts land at the 10 yard line. I don't think he is the best punter in the league, but he doesn't lose us ball games which is what really matters.

Doomsay

Reaction score
Let me just say this, if I had to create a list of all things wrong with this team, he'd be at the bottom.

Big time tackle by him.

I agree, after having an iffy / variable kicking squad a few years ago, these no-name guys seem really reliable.

Jones seemed to have a little anger in that tackle, the whole bar was yelling and clapping.

Plankton

Reaction score
I think he had 3 punts land at the 10 yard line. I don't think he is the best punter in the league, but he doesn't lose us ball games which is what really matters.

He does very well at having punts downed/fair caught inside the 20.

The punt coverage, though, has been terrible. The Cowboys are allowing over 14 yards per return. Some of that is bad directional punting, but a lot of it is poor discipline by the cover guys on returns.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Jones is a beast! 3rd in the NFL in Punts Inside the 20. He doesn't have a strong leg but he's not asked to boom kicks as far as possible in this scheme. It's more about getting hang time and directional kicking so the coverage unit can get down the field (ex: Think Jeff Feagles instead of McBriar).

Plus, he seems to have good chemistry with Bailey on FGs

KB1122

Reaction score
He's apparently a better tackler than he is a punter.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Jones is a beast! 3rd in the NFL in Punts Inside the 20. He doesn't have a strong leg but he's not asked to boom kicks as far as possible in this scheme. It's more about getting hang time and directional kicking so the coverage unit can get down the field (ex: Think Jeff Feagles instead of McBriar).

Plus, he seems to have good chemistry with Bailey on FGs

Yea I mean I think we all want the guy who can boom a 60 yarder after seeing McBriar but this type of kicking has been much more beneficial for our special teams unit. I can't complain about anyone on special teams right now. The organization spent some time on it and got it right.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Whats not in the story is he had a notification from the NFL for a drug test after the game. :p