Pure BPA draft

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
The team isn’t trying to win this year anyway so no point drafting for need. Just get the best guys.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
The team isn’t trying to win this year anyway so no point drafting for need. Just get the best guys.
The best guys is subjective. Teams often place players in tiers when there's not much separating them. So one tier might have one guy clearly above the rest while another tier has five players pretty much equal. If we're choosing from five players where the scouts don't feel there's a discernible difference, then there's nothing wrong with drafting one who also fills a need.

I think this is often where Dallas ends up at because of where it is usually drafting. Tyler Smith met a need, but he also may have been in a tier of players there rated about the same. Same with Mazi Smith last year.

Wanting them to go strictly BPA would mean if they have a numerical order, then you pick the top numbered player available. But if that player is a QB (for instance) and he's on the same tier as a OT, taking the OT better fits a need and you get a player with no real defense in grade. (Of course, if we've determined that we're not going to extend Dak, taking the QB would be the right move.)

morasp

Reaction score
I plan on doing a BPA mock after the pro days and the NFL.com rankings get updated. As of today the first round groupings would be like this with each player in a grouping being equal and precedence given to bigger need.

Year 1 Starter
6.86 Malik Nabers
6.83 Marvin Harrison Jr.
6.74 Rome Odunze
6.74 Caleb Williams
6.73 Jayden Daniels
6.73 Jared Verse
6.71 Brock Bowers
6.71 JC Latham
6.70 Chop Robinson
6.70 Dallas Turner

Boom/Bust Potential