Putting an end to the Dez debate

menolian

Reaction score
Long time lurker and occasional poster - but there are a few things that get spewed on this board that I finally want to get off my chest to get to the bottom of understanding football better.(first of maybe a few things if I get time)

Dez had become a liability that had to go for multiple reasons.
When you look at the seattle game - it was the fumble that made this the most apparent.
Over the course of playing football for 20 years with a myriad of coaches Dez couldn't be trusted with ball security 101. Starting even before high school players and coaches break down film on players and figure out tendencies. Kris Richard figured this out and I'm betting that even the cowboys coaches knew this too.
Dez refuses to carry the ball high and tight, and refuses to place the ball in his outside arm over his dominant arm. I'm guessing that's the real reason you rarely see him on the right or going across the middle.( vs route tree issues)
Seattle knew that when you get him in a position to fight for yards that all you have to do is hold him up and he'll hold that ball out with his left hand for you to just walk in and punch it away. ( and guess who arrived on the coaching staff before we jettisoned Dez )

This leads to 1 of 3 conclusions either
1) No one has ever taught him ball security 101 - despite that fact that on hard knocks all of us remember - high and tight Martellus, despite the fact that Zeke doesn't have this problem, despite the fact that they were using balls in TC that whistled when you held them right. I'm guessing that it isnt on coaching.

2) Dez is stupid and cant remember what he was taught for the last 20 years
or
3) Dez is selfish and lets his 'passion' blind him of the right way to do things.

Obviously he gives lip service to not being selfish in that he'd rather win than gets yards and TD's but at the end of the day not doing what is continually taught is the right way to do things will cost you in the end and when the one thing he is able to do right ( jump balls ) becomes the only thing that the coaching staff can trust. Well then it's time to go.
Btw my son learned this about football the hard way at 10 yo - its a shame that we still have players that dont get it at 27.

ArtClink

Reaction score
I concurr with your analysis. Dez's stats the past 3 seasons speak for themselves. Dez is a bad teammate, a distraction, and is unteachable. He carries the ball like a middle school kid. His "passion" is a euphamism for a**hole.

The geat Michael Irvin and the original 88 Drew Pearson were much better receivers and much better teammates. They were passionate players who channeled their passion in a team-focused way.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Long time lurker and occasional poster - but there are a few things that get spewed on this board that I finally want to get off my chest to get to the bottom of understanding football better.(first of maybe a few things if I get time)

When you look at the seattle game - it was the fumble that made this the most apparent.
Over the course of playing football for 20 years with a myriad of coaches Dez couldn't be trusted with ball security 101. Starting even before high school players and coaches break down film on players and figure out tendencies. Kris Richard figured this out and I'm betting that even the cowboys coaches knew this too.
Dez refuses to carry the ball high and tight, and refuses to place the ball in his outside arm over his dominant arm. I'm guessing that's the real reason you rarely see him on the right or going across the middle.( vs route tree issues)
Seattle knew that when you get him in a position to fight for yards that all you have to do is hold him up and he'll hold that ball out with his left hand for you to just walk in and punch it away. ( and guess who arrived on the coaching staff before we jettisoned Dez )

1) No one has ever taught him ball security 101 - despite that fact that on hard knocks all of us remember - high and tight Martellus, despite the fact that Zeke doesn't have this problem, despite the fact that they were using balls in TC that whistled when you held them right. I'm guessing that it isnt on coaching.

or
3) Dez is selfish and lets his 'passion' blind him of the right way to do things.

Obviously he gives lip service to not being selfish in that he'd rather win than gets yards and TD's but at the end of the day not doing what is continually taught is the right way to do things will cost you in the end and when the one thing he is able to do right ( jump balls ) becomes the only thing that the coaching staff can trust. Well then it's time to go.
Btw my son learned this about football the hard way at 10 yo - its a shame that we still have players that dont get it at 27.
Good post. Stay a lurker.

Jipper

Reaction score
I was a Dez supporter through it all....but after his actions I'm done with him and glad he's gone.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

or

4. Dez is gone. Let's all move on

Last edited:

Jipper

Reaction score
Dez as a brown....well at least he's been playing as one for a bot

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I concurr with your analysis. Dez's stats the past 3 seasons speak for themselves. Dez is a bad teammate, a distraction, and is unteachable. He carries the ball like a middle school kid. His "passion" is a euphamism for a**hole.

The geat Michael Irvin and the original 88 Drew Pearson were much better receivers and much better teammates. They were passionate players who channeled their passion in a team-focused way.
Except for that scissor stabbing in the neck thing that happened to happen in the locker room.
Other than that...

Kevinicus

Reaction score
This is silly. Dez had one fumble in 2017. He had 3 total for 2014-2017. That's 3 in 4 years.

He did have problems earlier in his career, but not lately.

And then mentioning Zeke who virtually no fumbles in college and hasn't had the best ball security since entering the NFL.

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
I personally loved the passion Dez brought to the game. The rest of it...well, just didn't work at times.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
He's just "passionate",it's not Dez's fault Dak is scared to throw it "up" to him.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
I like Dez, despite what It looks like from another threat I'm posting in. I like T.O. too and appreciate what each player has brought here, the good memories and such. But when Dez or T.O does something I don't agree with, I got no problem with pointing it out. And it was time for Dez to go. It might of been different if Romo was still here since Romo knew how to use and deal with him. But to put it simply, Dez hasn't been a #1 in 3 years. When people stop double covering you and double covering other players, then you're not a #1 in this league, and I do remember it being mentioned by the commentators before that someone else got the double coverage.