QB David Johnson - Tulsa

Silverstar

Reaction score
The main thing I like about Johnson, is the 52 TD's he got in 32 games played. 48 passing and another 4 rushing. He's was a shotgun QB, but I think he's worth signing as a UDFA.

Early years

Johnson attended Southridge High School in Beaverton, Oregon. During his senior year in 2003, he completed 110 of 181 attempts for 1,640 yards and 15touchdowns. He also rushed for 375 yards and four touchdowns. As a college prospect, he was overshadowed by Erik Ainge of nearby Glencoe High School, who eventually went on to play as a starting quarterback at Tennessee. As such, he was not recruited by any Division I schools, and thus began a campaign to promote himself as a prospect. The only school that showed an interest was the University of Tulsa. He was contacted by their recruiting coordinator, Matt Wells, who eventually offered Johnson a scholarship.

College career

Johnson redshirted his freshman year in 2004. He then spent his first three years of eligibility as Tulsa's back-up behind Paul Smith, with whom he roomed for two years. With one remaining year of eligibility, Johnson had to compete with anticipated recruit and Bakersfield junior college transfer Jacob Bower for the starting job.

In 2008, he was named the starting quarterback. That season, he led the Golden Hurricane to an 11–3 record. After his performance against New Mexico, in which he completed 24 of 39 passes for 469 yards and six touchdowns, he was named a Conference USA Co-Offensive Player of the Week. It was the first time that a C-USA quarterback had ever thrown for six touchdowns in two games in the same season. Tulsa's three losses in 2008 came in a close contest against Arkansas, a blowout against Houston, and a close but error-filled Conference USA Championship Game against East Carolina. In the 2009 GMAC Bowl, Johnson engineered a rout, 45–13, against Ball State, which had finished the regular season with an undefeated 12–0 record.

In his final season, Johnson recorded 4,059 passing yards, 46 touchdowns, and 18 interceptions (five of which were in the C-USA title game), and finished as the second-most efficient quarterback in the nation, behind Heisman Trophy winner, Sam Bradford.
He was voted an All-Conference USA honorable mention player, and the Sporting News named him the Conference USA Offensive MVP. Johnson was also named a semi-finalist for the Draddy Award and the Davey O'Brien Award. The New York Times, The News & Observer, and CBS Sports named Johnson as a Heisman Trophy contender.

Former Tulsa starter Paul Smith was one of seven quarterbacks in NCAA history to surpass the 5,000 passing yards benchmark. Johnson said of his predecessor, "I was always learning from him. I didn't feel any pressure. He's the one who's been on my side this whole season, just telling me to go out and break all his [records]." In contrast with Smith's mobile-quarterback style, Johnson is a traditional pocket-passing quarterback. Tulsa head coach Todd Graham said of Johnson, "We'd like to have a guy who can run, but we've adapted to Dave's style with more drop-back passes instead of naked [bootlegs]."Johnson himself said that "Our expectation is score every time we have the ball."

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=57079&draftyear=2009&genpos=QB

College statistics

Tulsa Passing
Season GP Rating Cmp Att % Yds Lng TD Int
2005...5 119.81 28 41 68.3 236 40 1 1
2006...5 195.86 9 14 64.3 180 59 1 0
2007...8 108.80 4 8 50.0 56 36 0 0

2008...14 178.69 258 400 64.5 4,059 97 46 18 ... :eek:

Totals 32 186.395 321 441 72.8 4,531 97 48 19

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
he's a Romo type Qb, live arm, seems to have a good head on his shoulders, competitive