QB McNair will return for Titans this season

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As if there was any doubt...
---------

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Tennessee Titans quarterback Steve McNair, whose injury-plagued 2004 season left him considering retirement, says he feels good again and plans to return for his 11th season.

McNair hurt his chest last September and wound up missing eight games. In December, McNair had surgery to graft a sliver of bone from his right hip onto his sternum to strengthen it. Doctors have been monitoring his recovery with periodic tests, and he was cleared to throw within the past 10 days.

"I am excited about coming back to play this season. I feel good physically. My sternum is healing," McNair said Friday in a statement.

"I am in good shape, haven't had any problems throwing and expect to participate in some of the minicamps. I am looking forward to the season, being a leader for the younger guys and getting back to winning football games."

McNair had his worst season as a pro in 2004, a stark contrast to 2003 -- when he led the Titans to the playoffs and was NFL co-MVP with Colts quarterback Peyton Manning.

He first hurt his sternum in 2000 and re-injured his chest in the third game last season. He was in the hospital for two days, and hurt himself again Nov. 28 in a loss to the Houston Texans. He didn't play in the Titans' final five games.

The pain made breathing difficult. McNair said after the Texans game that he was tired of being unable to play with his son, and he would talk with his family about whether he should keep playing football.

McNair is the winningest quarterback in franchise history with 72 wins, two more than Warren Moon had with the Houston Oilers. McNair leads all NFL quarterbacks in yards rushing (3,300) and touchdowns rushing (35) since the start of the 1995 season.

He also led the franchise to its only Super Bowl in 2000 and two AFC championship appearances.

His decision was welcomed by the Titans, who had been confident McNair would be back -- especially after the quarterback reworked his contract in February to a salary cap-friendly deal.

"I think it's a stabilizing force within the organization, and of course, I think he feels good about his ability to take things over and see if we can't get this thing headed back in the right direction," general manager Floyd Reese told The Associated Press.

He is one of only five NFL quarterbacks with at least 20,000 yards passing and 3,000 yards rushing. And McNair has made playing through pain a hallmark of his career -- the Titans have a page in their media guide listing his numerous injuries.

McNair, the No. 3 pick overall in 1995, will be playing with a very different team this year.

The Titans, who went 5-11 last season, released six players in February in their attempt to slash about $28 million because of salary cap concerns. They also have a new offensive coordinator, Norm Chow, who was hired from Southern California.

Reese said having McNair back will give the Titans a chance to win every week.

"It doesn't mean that you are going to win every week, but you certainly go out there with your chances improved by 200 percent knowing that you've got a quarterback of that caliber under the center," he said.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2032977&num=0