QBs at the combine...

dr_hefley

Reaction score
I had a chance to watch the QBs and WRs at the combine on NFL Network. I was more or less unimpressed with the receivers. Everybody was dropping balls.

I paid attention to the QBs, mostly to see if Cutler was worthy of the hype. I thought he was OK, but during the drills I came across someone I was completely unfamiliar with; Ingle Martin of Furman. He's 6'3, 224, and ran the 40 in 4.6 seconds. He had the highest ball velocity (61 mph) of anyone in his group. I think Cutlers was 58 mph. His throws looked natural, while some of the others in his group looked stiff.

I researched him a little and here's what I found out. He was highly recruited out of high school, top 12 QB in the nation. Went to Florida to play for Spurrier, and then Spurrier left. He was replaced by Leak after a loss to Tennessee because Leak was Zooks guy and highly regarded as well.

He took his demotion in stride, then transferred to Furman. His rationale was two-fold; one was the drop to 1-aa so he wouldn't have to sit out a year and the other was the fact that Furman was a world class university, on level with Ivy League schools with respect to academics.

Throughout his career, he's averaged a 91.4 QB rating, and a 61 % completion percentage. I'm not advocating drafting him, but he did impress me. He seems smart, athletic and talented. More importantly, he may be overlooked during the draft. Maybe the kind of QB Parcells (or whoever) could develop. He doesn't strike me as the gunslinger that Romo is. I just wondered if anybody had seen him play or knew more about him.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
dr_hefley said:
My bad, mods. Shoulda posted this in the draft zone. Please move it there.
ur ok. it's the offseason...

but depending on how much play you get on the main forum, we'll move it over there so it can get some action from the draft zone gurus... :)

boysfanindc

Reaction score
How could you not be impressed with Cutler? He did all the drills and lifting and did them very very well.

What is not to like, 5 years from now he will be viewed as the best QB from this draft.

EveryoneElse

Reaction score
I was also impressed with Martin. I really like his motion and accuracy. He has a nice deep ball also.

2 things I took from the workout.

Cutler reminds me a lot of Buffalo's young cocky QB. I think Cutler is WAY overrated, imo he's solid but not great.

Brodey Croyle reminds me a lot of Joey Harrington. I don't know where he's thought to be drfated, but I see a lot of Joey Harrington in Croyle.....garbage.

Ingle Martin is my favorite QB in this draft. Not the most talented, but If you can draft him in the late rounds he could be a steel down the road.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
boysfanindc said:
How could you not be impressed with Cutler? He did all the drills and lifting and did them very very well.

What is not to like, 5 years from now he will be viewed as the best QB from this draft.

I didn't think his performance was all that impressive either. He missed a lot of balls. His strength was impressive but the rest was just OK I thought. I agree with the original poster. Martin threw the ball well. Deep in routes, out patterns, sidelines, everything was thrown pretty well I thought. Even when asked to throw the balls off target in the WRs over the shoulder, adjust excercise, he threw it just like you were supposed to. Off target, which I thought was slightly amusing as well.

BTW, Jacobs threw the ball well also. Throws from behind his ear but it was accurate.

EveryoneElse

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
Even when asked to throw the balls off target in the WRs over the shoulder, adjust excercise, he threw it just like you were supposed to. Off target, which I thought was slightly amusing as well.

Thats what turned me off a bit about Cutler. When doing the over the shoulder drill, he would not throw the ball off target. It was like he was making a statement. He threw the ball right to the WR everytime. Cutler seems like a cocky guy. I don't think he's a cut above Martin or many of the other QBs at the combine actually.

Ingle Martin has some good skills he's working with. I would love for him to go undrafted and sign with us.

boysfanindc

Reaction score
If you are talking about comparative value as to where they are drafted, that is one thing.

But I am not sure how you can say Cutler did not impress.

ESPN -

As expected, Cutler shined during his four days in Indianapolis. The only quarterback to voluntarily bench press at the combine in the last two years, Cutler put up the standard 225-pound bar 23 times. He ran the 40-yard dash in 4.78 seconds and wowed the NFL brass in attendance with his strong arm and accuracy during the passing drills Sunday. Cutler's interviews have also impressed several interested teams, including the New Orleans Saints, who currently own the draft's second overall pick.

Furman QB Ingle Martin, who began his career at Florida as a punter and reserve quarterback, registered the strongest arm strength (61 peak mph) of the quarterback group, which is measured on a JUGS machine. Cutler recorded the second strongest, just 1 mph behind Martin.

dr_hefley

Reaction score
I said I thought Cutler was OK; not magnificient. In my mind, for what it's worth, he didn't seem to be too much ahead of some of the other QBs. Who knows, maybe I'm wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.

I wouldn't be looking at him to draft since that's impossible. I just thought that Martin had a pretty comparable set of skills and might be had much cheaper.