Quarterbacks, NFL reality

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Patrick Mahomes. you have a great coach great team around you . You look great, now he doesn’t. And he doesn’t look so great. I don’t care who the quarterback in this league is. Including Tom Brady. If you don’t have the supporting cast , you’re just don’t look the same. Prescott was brilliant his rookie season. Then had a significant drop off. Due to turmoil in the team. And now he’s back on top again. He’s the same guy he’s the same quarterback. The reality is you’re only as good as your supporting cast. Yes quarterbacks do improve. The longer in the league the easier it is to read a defense. But that’s not the point.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Prescott is not an elite quarterback. He can’t carry a team. All of a sudden oh this is the best I’ve ever seen him play. I guess I was wrong. That’s what I’m reading from many people. I’m saying he was always capable.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Some of that is true but Dak is miles ahead of where he was just two years ago, particularly with reading defenses and letting go of the ball, HUGE difference.
I think I address that, but you’re right

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Dak was brilliant his rookie season because nobody expected him. But once teams (especially good defenses) started pressuring him, he wasn't doing as well. Over the years he learned and improved, and showed flashes of excellence. In the past two seasons those flashes have turned into consistency, and Dak is now (IMO) a top 5 QB.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Dak was brilliant his rookie season because nobody expected him. But once teams (especially good defenses) started pressuring him, he wasn't doing as well. Over the years he learned and improved, and showed flashes of excellence. In the past two seasons those flashes have turned into consistency, and Dak is now (IMO) a top 5 QB.
I just don’t buy into that. Film propaganda. The only reason why they started pressuring him. And the bad decisions. Was a bad team

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I just don’t buy into that. Film propaganda. The only reason why they started pressuring him. And the bad decisions. Was a bad team
Just think, we don't even know if he's hit his ceiling. He's shown improvement every season, by and large, and he may still continue to improve. He shows no signs of being satisfied with his play, and as long as he doesn't get complacent, he might just become one of the best ever.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
I think it was more of a combination of bad play and bad coaching. Take the Atlanta game for instance. Chaz Green was not a good player and the coaching staff didn't provide him with any help. We can now look back and see how the coaches never tried to up grade weak players, like Heath. And we can also see the misuse of players like Chido. Plus if you look at the play calling, running china routes and stick routes 80 percent of the time, doesn't make for an efficient offense.

I believe Dak had a minor sophomore slump and the coaches panicked and started playing the blame game. I say that because the team they originally fielded for the 2018 season was a mess.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I'm now convinced, what sets Dak apart from all other QBs, is what's between his ears........QB IQ, toughness, leadership.

Flamma

Reaction score
Prescott is not an elite quarterback. He can’t carry a team. All of a sudden oh this is the best I’ve ever seen him play. I guess I was wrong. That’s what I’m reading from many people. I’m saying he was always capable.

Apparently so. But sometimes it's hard to tell for the reason's you've mentioned.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I'm now convinced, what sets Dak apart from all other QBs, is what's between his ears........QB IQ, toughness, leadership.
I totally agree. That’s what I’ve been saying all along. His mental toughness the camaraderie. That alone is the main reason I like him

Flamma

Reaction score
I totally agree. That’s what I’ve been saying all along. His mental toughness the camaraderie. That alone is the main reason I like him

The dude had everything going for him. His ability as a passer was in question due to circumstances around him. We simply didn't know. But make no mistake, he has improved since his rookie season. That's just through experience. But all QBs don't crap gold even when the situation is good around them. They do much better, yes, but Dak is killing it with the weapons around him. I never expected this. But it is a combination of things. Coaching, QB, gameplan, and the team around you all coming together. Oh yeah, you need a decent OL.

sean10mm

Reaction score
Dak is technically/mentally so much better than where he started. He makes decisions so much faster and his ball placement is spot on. It's less improvisation/guessing and more "I actually know exactly what to do in this situation" every snap.

You can argue he was propped up by the rest of the roster more his rookie season, and then you have a kind of muddled middle period where the roster got worse while he improved more slowly. But now he's a guy who has a 115 passer rating on the season, which almost nobody ever does no matter how good the supporting cast is.