Question about Comp Pick calculation formula

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Continues to amaze me how people think comp picks mean much at all.

The highest any pick could possibly be is at the end of the third round.

The highest one they ever got was for Byron Jones and turned it into Nashon Wright.

Take a look at what they have done in the third round in the last handful of years overall and tell me there’s something to be excited about.
Comp picks mean a lot more now than they used to.
Because you can trade them. Which even goes into planning for the future. Teams know they will get comp picks and may be more apt to trade away a 4th or 5th round pick. As they take a calculated risk of getting a future comp pick.

They used to not be able to be traded. Can’t remember when they started that. 4 years ago or so.

Chasing6

Reaction score

The highest one they ever got was for Byron Jones and turned it into Nashon Wright.

Take a look at what they have done in the third round in the last handful of years overall and tell me there’s something to be excited about.
It amazes me how much GM Jethro values them.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
It amazes me how much GM Jethro values them.
It's Cap Boy really.

He doesn't have to negotiate with draft picks; the guidelines and structure of the contract is written by the league.

Stephen gets to sit on the other side of the table and hand them a fancy, official Dallas Cowboys pen to sign the contract, but he doesn't have to do any actual work. And those mean old agents can't mop the floors with him like Todd France does.

Chasing6

Reaction score
It's Cap Boy really.

He doesn't have to negotiate with draft picks; the guidelines and structure of the contract is written by the league.

Stephen gets to sit on the other side of the table and hand them a fancy, official Dallas Cowboys pen to sign the contract, but he doesn't have to do any actual work. And those mean old agents can't mop the floors with him like Todd France does.
If GM Jeruh had a back up plan, he could have let Dak walk or traded him back then.

Ironic how we are pretty much in the same situation, and NO, Trance is not a back up plan.

Bellichick always had a QB, that he was developing behind Brady. When Brady resigned he traded the back up and started to develop a new one.

Developing a replacement for when contracts are expiring is the key. Real GM's understand this.

In addition, any agent negotiating with GM Jethro knows, they have no back up plan and they know they will not replace them by spending big in free agency. Dare GM Jethro to try and replace him in the draft picking at 24 or with Trance when we have 10 starting holes open.

We have an incompetent GM running the most financially successful NFL Franchise.

Creeper

Reaction score

I agree, to get a 3rd round comp pic, which is really a fourth round pick you have to lose a top tier free agent to another team. Chances are slim you will draft a comparable player in the late 3rd round.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I agree, to get a 3rd round comp pic, which is really a fourth round pick you have to lose a top tier free agent to another team. Chances are slim you will draft a comparable player in the late 3rd round.
That is why if you have no interest in resigning them they should be traded the year before.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Currently for those that are click challenged at this moment. :laugh:

We could have 3 - 5ths, and a 6th round for comp picks. No other NFCE team has any so far.
If Tyron meets some incentives, that could go to a 4th.

We are currently the comp picks champs on our division. But it does not make us better. :muttley:
:hammer: ....when your throwing picks @ guys like Ridgeway....what do you expect? You could hear it in the voices of the guys doing the draft...they had no clue who to go after....and they follow the draft just as close...if not closer than the bozos in charge.

Blue&Silver

Reaction score
I know that the comp pick formula isn't a well documented obvious thing, but in general, how does it work for the Tyron Smith contract? It's a base value of $6.5M with a ton of incentives mostly tied to playing time. Is only the base factored in when they determine the comp pick equivalent next year? Or if he starts every game and makes the bulk of closer to $20M is that then used? Could make a big difference in the round of the comp pick.

Any historical examples of this variance that can be referenced?
Those 3 potential 5th round comp picks next year = Championship!!!
That's if you don't sign any free agents yourself.