Question about Fred Smoot

HipHop

Benched
Reaction score
Doesn't he wear #21?

Didn't he play with Deion Sanders his rookie year?

If so, did Fred Smoot change his number? What was it his first year in the league?

I wonder if we signed him, if he'd buy #21 off Julius Jones.

Chicago

Reaction score
JokerJokerDeuce said:
Doesn't he wear #21?

Didn't he play with Deion Sanders his rookie year?

If so, did Fred Smoot change his number? What was it his first year in the league?

I wonder if we signed him, if he'd buy #21 off Julius Jones.
His first year as a second rounder was under Marty 2001. BTW he is good but not that good. The Reds last year replace Bailey and they will do the same with Smoot.

HipHop

Benched
Reaction score
Chicago said:
His first year as a second rounder was under Marty 2001. BTW he is good but not that good. The Reds last year replace Bailey and they will do the same with Smoot.

Oh, thats right.

Fred Smoot played and was mentored by Champ Bailey and Darrel Green.

Champ Bailey played with, and was mentored by Darren Green and Deion Sanders.

So no, Deion and Fred never played together.

Gotcha......

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
JokerJokerDeuce said:
Oh, thats right.

Fred Smoot played and was mentored by Champ Bailey and Darrel Green.

Champ Bailey played with, and was mentored by Darren Green and Deion Sanders.

So no, Deion and Fred never played together.

Gotcha......

Well, you were sorta right initially.

For a brief period of time, the Commanders actually had Darrell Green, Deion Sanders, Champ Bailey and Fred Smoot all on their team, though the quartet never played together in 2001. Deion retired on the eve of the team's training camp that season, which allowed Smoot to take the jersey No. 21 from that point on.

Prior to Deion's retirement, I'm pretty certain Smoot wore 23.

So, no, they never technically played together, but he did have an alternate number for a brief time. There might be some archived photos somewhere on the net with him in that jersey number from mini camps that season or something.

I don't think Jerry would ever allow his 'star' running back to forego his number so a corner could have it, if indeed the signing was made.

Jester33

Reaction score
I would personally like to see us pick him up, unless we can grab baxter from the ravens i don't really see anyone else out there

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Jester33 said:
I would personally like to see us pick him up, unless we can grab baxter from the ravens i don't really see anyone else out there

Parcell's indicated last year that Ken Lucus is one of the best... I tend to agree he may be the top CB available...