Question for all Houston-area fans

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I've read before on message boards that many Cowboys games are not shown in Houston, almost as if it were intentional (jealousy of the Cowboys popularity, desire to establish the Texans, etc). How true is this? About how many games per year are not shown locally in Houston?

And if it's a bad problem, does anyone on the fringes ever try to get the games from somewhere out of market, like (just guessing here) Victoria or somewhere? Or do you pretty much have to get the Ticket or go to a sports bar?

Also, I can't find that there's a radio carrier of the games down there. Do you have a local station that has the games? WOAI in San Antonio is a big powerhouse that will have the games this year, but I wonder if there's something closer.

Thanks for all opinions!

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab said:
I've read before on message boards that many Cowboys games are not shown in Houston, almost as if it were intentional (jealousy of the Cowboys popularity, desire to establish the Texans, etc). How true is this? About how many games per year are not shown locally in Houston?

And if it's a bad problem, does anyone on the fringes ever try to get the games from somewhere out of market, like (just guessing here) Victoria or somewhere? Or do you pretty much have to get the Ticket or go to a sports bar?

Also, I can't find that there's a radio carrier of the games down there. Do you have a local station that has the games? WOAI in San Antonio is a big powerhouse that will have the games this year, but I wonder if there's something closer.

Thanks for all opinions!

If I remember correctly only 1 or 2 games was not shown locally. Before I got the sunday ticket I would go visit relatives in Beaumont which is about 60 miles from Houston to watch the Cowboys. As for radio I listen to a Beaumont Radio station to hear the Cowboys pre-game and post-game as there is no Cowboys games on Houston radio at least not last season

Duane

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
If I remember correctly only 1 or 2 games was not shown locally. Before I got the sunday ticket I would go visit relatives in Beaumont which is about 60 miles from Houston to watch the Cowboys. As for radio I listen to a Beaumont Radio station to hear the Cowboys pre-game and post-game as there is no Cowboys games on Houston radio at least not last season
Dooms is right about everything. I can sometimes get a College Station radio station that plays the games as well as KLVI out of Beaumont.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Chocolate Lab said:
I've read before on message boards that many Cowboys games are not shown in Houston, almost as if it were intentional (jealousy of the Cowboys popularity, desire to establish the Texans, etc). How true is this?bout how many games per year are not shown locally in Houston?
I'd say a max of 4 are not shown and that's because of time conflicts. Since the Texans primarily play at 12 cst and the 'boys play the 3cst games and primetime games, there's not alot of conflicts. Whenever the 'boys have a noon game and the Texans are playing at home, then the game won't be shown. If the Texans are playing an away game, then the game will be shown.
Not that big of a deal to me, cuz I still get to hear it and track it online. I'd rather do that than go to a sports bar. I like football as a whole so I can watch whatever else is on and be just fine.

Thanks for all opinions!
Cowboys games aren't played on the radio in Houston anymore because of the Texans. I've heard that it was an unofficial agreement between Jerry Jones and Bob McNair to establish the Texans market. However, I know that someone on this board did say the game is on some radio station in Beaumont, but I can't remember at this moment.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone. :)

I've done some investigating, and on 560 KLVI's site they are now showing the Texans as a "home team". So I'm guessing they don't have the Cowboys contract anymore. Of course, a lot of this changes from year to year, and probably moreso this year with the switch of the flagship station to the Ticket. For instance, I had to surf hard (and email them for confirmation) to find that WOAI (1200 am) had the games back this year. Which is great, because they're one of the stronger stations around.

It's kind of frustrating, though, because KLUV used to have a website of all the Cowboys radio affiliates in the country -- but they took it down when they lost the contract to the Ticket, and the Ticket hasn't put anything comparable up yet. I even emailed them and the Cowboys themselves about where I could find a list of the Cowboys affiliates, and didn't get any response.

I bet if Jerry knew about this, he'd do something about it immediately. :banghead:

Anyway, back to TV, missing four games would be a lot. :( Unacceptable, actually. :(

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well I just compared the two teams schedules, currently the following games will not be shown in Houston. Barring any sched change that is.

Oct. 1 vs Tennessee
Nov. 19 vs Colts
Dec. 10 vs N.O.
Dec. 31 vs Detroit

TLW47

Reaction score
Woody's Girl has it right. There were a few games that weren't shown last year.

I listen to the games from the Beaumont station which comes in clearly where I live.

As a funny aside if you listen to the Texan fans you'd get just the opposite opinion.

They'd tell you that they show too many Cowboys games over the Texans and how Cowboys fans have it so good in this area.

Not true but there are plenty of complaints about how the Chronicle covers the Cowboys and particularly that John McLain is a homer for the Cowboys.

They haven't quite figured out that it is a supply and demand market. If people didn't want to read about the Cowboys the Houston paper wouldn't cover them. Pretty simple right?

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
I got a question, living in Prarie View do you think i'd get the cowboy games, or Houston games locally?

KingTuna

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab said:

Thanks for all opinions!

I have researched this and there will be 5 games NOT shown in houston this year unless you have Sunday ticket or land in a sports bar that does.

The Texans play at the same time and Cowboys will be blacked out.

I have posted them below:

Sun 10/1 @ Tennessee
Sun 11/5 @ Washington
Sun 11/19 INDIANAPOLIS
Sun 12/10 NEW ORLEANS
Sun 12/31 DETROIT

:starspin

onetrickpony

Reaction score
Duane said:
Dooms is right about everything. I can sometimes get a College Station radio station that plays the games as well as KLVI out of Beaumont.

KLVI has signed to broadcast the Texans this season. I hope some else steps up for the Cowboys.

jimmy40

Reaction score
dargonking999 said:
I got a question, living in Prarie View do you think i'd get the cowboy games, or Houston games locally?
In College Station (Cox Cable) I believe we got every game for both teams last year.

calico

Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:
Well I just compared the two teams schedules, currently the following games will not be shown in Houston. Barring any sched change that is.

Oct. 1 vs Tennessee
Nov. 19 vs Colts
Dec. 10 vs N.O.
Dec. 31 vs Detroit

Holy ****, I never thought of this before...I just moved to Houston last week and not going to be able to see every Cowboys game is going to kill me.

Last time I lived in Houston, all the Cowboys games were shown because they did not have a team.

I am going to have to figure something out here because not seeing the Colts game against Dallas will bug me the most.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
calico said:
Holy ****, I never thought of this before...I just moved to Houston last week and not going to be able to see every Cowboys game is going to kill me.

Last time I lived in Houston, all the Cowboys games were shown because they did not have a team.

I am going to have to figure something out here because not seeing the Colts game against Dallas will bug me the most.

Unless you get the Sunday Ticket your only other option will be sports bars. During the pre-season I to go to SRO's to watch Cowboy games.

KingTuna

Reaction score
dargonking999 said:

Houston games...I used to live in Waller so I can vouch for that.

KingTuna

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
Unless you get the Sunday Ticket your only other option will be sports bars. During the pre-season I to go to SRO's to watch Cowboy games.

Me too!! Which location??? I usually go to the one off 290@610 in
northwest mall.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
KingTuna said:
I have researched this and there will be 5 games NOT shown in houston this year unless you have Sunday ticket or land in a sports bar that does.

The Texans play at the same time and Cowboys will be blacked out.

I have posted them below:

Sun 10/1 @ Tennessee
Sun 11/5 @ Washington
Sun 11/19 INDIANAPOLIS
Sun 12/10 NEW ORLEANS
Sun 12/31 DETROIT

:starspin
The @Washington game is okay, Houston is playing @NYG so there isn't a conflict. The NFL usually moves some of the Cowboys games to later times those things may change on these games. Some games can be changed to Sunday night this year too I believe.

If you live north of Houston, you might be able to pick up KYLE 28 out of Bryan/College Station, but it is a very weak signal. I think they are boosting thier HDTV signal too, but I haven't been able to pick it up yet.

HugeTexanFan

Reaction score
:star: Why would you want to be a Cowboy fan when you have the Texans in Houston? I actually moved to Houston from Dallas and it is much better I like the color the Logo and the coolest fans you can ever meet very down to earth and are not clickish.... Dude you gotta be a Texan fan to know..:starspin

Go Texans Go..

twa

Reaction score
HugeTexanFan;1265187 said:
:star: Why would you want to be a Cowboy fan when you have the Texans in Houston? I actually moved to Houston from Dallas and it is much better I like the color the Logo and the coolest fans you can ever meet very down to earth and are not clickish.... Dude you gotta be a Texan fan to know..:starspin

Go Texans Go..

You are a sick individual :D
Some of us in the Houston area have been cowboy fans since they were formed.