Question for any kickers or kicking experts...

yimyammer

Reaction score
I've always wondered why a kicker like Nick Folk who can kick a 50+ yard field goal that has to have a lot of height in order to clear the line and the goal posts cant just boot a line drive on kick-offs that would go out of the endzone.

Am I underestimating the length strength required to shoot a line drive kick-off out of the end zone?

If not, why don't kickers just line drive the kick-offs about 10 to 20 feet in the air so it goes right out of the end zone giving the other team a touch back every time?

Wouldn't we prefer to always force opposing teams to start at the 20 versus the risk of a longer return when there isn't a touch back?

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
A 50 yard field goal would be kicked from about the opponent's 33 yard line. A kickoff is from your own 35. That's a difference of 32 yards.

dozin_theknick

Reaction score
Good question and something I have wondered. If Folk can kick say a 55 yd FG with some loft, could he pound a linedrive from the 40 60+ yds? It must be close but the risk of giving the returner a chance at a return would be bad. If he had a chance to return it the coverage would barely be past the 50.

yimyammer

Reaction score
LeonDixson;2443579 said:
A 50 yard field goal would be kicked from about the opponent's 33 yard line. A kickoff is from your own 35. That's a difference of 32 yards.

Makes sense, but isn't he kicking within the 5 to 10 yard line on kick-offs already with a lot of loft so coverage has a chance to get down field?

Seems like it could go another 15 or 20 yards if he wasn't trying to get a lot of hang time. Then again, it's not rocket science so if I have thought of it, there must be a good reason why its not being done.

I'd just love to hear what Nick Folk would say about this question.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
LeonDixson;2443579 said:

The 33 yard line would be the line of scrimage. The actual kick would be from about the 40 yard line (where the holder is). The goalposts are at the back of the endzone, which adds another 10 yards to the kick making it a 50-yarder. In order to clear the crossbar, which is 10-feet high would require a kick of at least 65 yards if you look at where the ball would land if there were nothing to stop it. Considering most of Folk's kicks clear with room to spare, he is kicking the ball an equivalent of over 70 yards.

Yimyammer has a good point in asking why Folk can kick 50+ yard FGs (which would travel about 70 yards) but can't put a kickoff past the 10 which is only 55 yards from the tee.

Considering our pitiful kickoff coverage units, he should just kick it out of the endzone every time and give it to them on the 20.

yimyammer

Reaction score
THUMPER;2443611 said:
The 33 yard line would be the line of scrimage. The actual kick would be from about the 40 yard line (where the holder is). The goalposts are at the back of the endzone, which adds another 10 yards to the kick making it a 50-yarder. In order to clear the crossbar, which is 10-feet high would require a kick of at least 65 yards if you look at where the ball would land if there were nothing to stop it. Considering most of Folk's kicks clear with room to spare, he is kicking the ball an equivalent of over 70 yards.

Yimyammer has a good point in asking why Folk can kick 50+ yard FGs (which would travel about 70 yards) but can't put a kickoff past the 10 which is only 55 yards from the tee.

Considering our pitiful kickoff coverage units, he should just kick it out of the endzone every time and give it to them on the 20.

That brings up another thought, in college they either used to use a tee or still use a tee on field goals. Regardless of what the current circumstances are, I always heard the tee gave the kicker additional distance.

In the pros, they use a tee on kick offs but not on field goals.

If its true that tees help a kicker have greater distance, it just gives the kickoff that more of a chance to make it out of the end zone on a line drive.

I'm not saying I'm right or that it can be done, I'm merely curious why it can't or isn't being done

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
lane;2443612 said:
no tee on field goals.

I didn't consider that but wouldn't that make it harder to get distance on FGs?

I'm not a kicker so I don't know. Let's ask Hostile! :D

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
THUMPER;2443611 said:

You are correct on where the ball would be kicked from. My bad. However, I just don't think you can risk kicking a ball with so little loft because if it doesn't go out of the end zone, the ball will get there so quickly the returner would have a ton of room to run.

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
THUMPER;2443621 said:
I didn't consider that but wouldn't that make it harder to get distance on FGs?

I'm not a kicker so I don't know. Let's ask Hostile! :D

geez louise.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Because kick-offs and FG have different kicking motions. KO's you want to give your coverage team a chance, on FG you are kicking more of a line drive just not low enough to get blocked. The holder also has some influence on a FG with the angle the ball is placed at.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Physics... Seriously...

Loft allows the ball to carry its momentum generating more distance.

Even kickers that do put it to and through the endzone dont line drive it. With your logic, they could line drive it into the stands so why not?

zeroburrito

Reaction score
i think what he means is folk is better at kicking long fg's than other guys that don't have problems kicking off themselves.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
zeroburrito;2443801 said:
i think what he means is folk is better at kicking long fg's than other guys that don't have problems kicking off themselves.

That math was already pointed out though. Its about a 30 yard difference. I think most young kickers have the leg for a 50 yard FG, they just dont have the accuracy. Where as very few have the leg to put it into and/or through the endzone.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
from my understanding Bruce Read wants Folk to kick it high instead of far because of coverage... ideally he would like both but that isn't as easily done as some believe it is.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
THUMPER;2443611 said:

A 50-yard field goal doesn't usually go 70 yards. Most of them would go less than 10 yards past end zone before hitting the ground. That's maybe 60 yards in the air. Some might go longer, but most of them would not.

And kickoffs are from the 30, not the 35. Folk consistently kicks at least to the 8-yard line (a 62-yard kickoff), usually farther, and has had a number of them go 70-plus yards (to the end zone or into it).