Question for our resident capologists in regards to the cap

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I understand contracts may work differently in the NFL than other leagues.....but can someone explain to me what's the point of carrying over salary cap space? If you're 10 million under the salary cap...why wouldn't you spend that 10 million on one year deals? What am I missing?

Flamma

Reaction score
I understand contracts may work differently in the NFL than other leagues.....but can someone explain to me what's the point of carrying over salary cap space? If you're 10 million under the salary cap...why wouldn't you spend that 10 million on one year deals? What am I missing?
The point is to have extra cap space the next year. It might be more useful than spending it on some bum for 1 year.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The point is to have extra cap space the next year. It might be more useful than spending it on some bum for 1 year.
Ok i'm glad you responded this way because its going over my head. So if I sign a "bum" to a 1 year deal this year....why is that relevant to next year's salary cap? I'm not on the hook for him since he's only on a one year deal....what am I missing?

J12B

Reaction score
Teams often carry over unused cap space to the next season. By not spending the $10 million this year, they can add it to their cap space for the following year, providing more flexibility for future signings, extensions, and managing dead cap hits.

Also, during the season, teams need cap space to sign replacement players in case of injuries or to make trades. Keeping some cap room available makes sure they can react to circumstances they couldn't see coming without needing to cut other players or restructure contracts.

Flamma

Reaction score
Ok i'm glad you responded this way because its going over my head. So if I sign a "bum" to a 1 year deal this year....why is that relevant to next year's salary cap? I'm not on the hook for him since he's only on a one year deal....what am I missing?
If the cap is 200 million and you carry over 10M, your cap is now 210 million. J12B explained it pretty well.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Teams often carry over unused cap space to the next season. By not spending the $10 million this year, they can add it to their cap space for the following year, providing more flexibility for future signings, extensions, and managing dead cap hits.

Also, during the season, teams need cap space to sign replacement players in case of injuries or to make trades. Keeping some cap room available makes sure they can react to circumstances they couldn't see coming without needing to cut other players or restructure contracts.
If the cap is 200 million and you carry over 10M, your cap is now 210 million. J12B explained it pretty well.

Ohhhhh I see. So it increases your actual salary cap. I thoguht every team had the same salary cap so if that's the case I can see the perks of doing it then. I still don't agree with it but there's an actual perk to doing that. Never knew that or seen that explained. Thanks for that.

And I get the idea of keeping some space but I mean 10 million is excessive.

irishline

Reaction score
Right now the Cowboys are $12.4 million under the cap (according to overthecap). If they do not spend any of it, they would have all $12.4 million to spend next year in addition to the cap.

Now lets say next year the cap is $200 million (made up I know). If they Cowboys spend none of the above mentioned money, they actually could spend $212.4 million next season. If they sign a "bum" to a $1 million dollar contract this season, the available cap space (for this year would drop to $11.4 million, that also means the carryover drops and the team would have $211.4 million to spend next year ($1 million less because of the "bum"'s salary this year).

Edit: See a couple beat me to it with good answers.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Right now the Cowboys are $12.4 million under the cap (according to overthecap). If they do not spend any of it, they would have all $12.4 million to spend next year in addition to the cap.

Now lets say next year the cap is $200 million (made up I know). If they Cowboys spend none of the above mentioned money, they actually could spend $212.4 million next season. If they sign a "bum" to a $1 million dollar contract this season, the available cap space (for this year would drop to $11.4 million, that also means the carryover drops and the team would have $211.4 million to spend next year ($1 million less because of the "bum"'s salary this year).

Edit: See a couple beat me to it with good answers.
Yeah you explained well. I didn't know you increased your actual salary cap room....

Flamma

Reaction score
Ohhhhh I see. So it increases your actual salary cap. I thoguht every team had the same salary cap so if that's the case I can see the perks of doing it then. I still don't agree with it but there's an actual perk to doing that. Never knew that or seen that explained. Thanks for that.

And I get the idea of keeping some space but I mean 10 million is excessive.
There were a few years there when the Browns had over 50M in space because the team was so bad. But I don't know how much they carried over. I think there is also a salary floor you can't go below, but I don't know what that is. But theoretically you can carry over a lot and splurge for one year. Then just keep pushing money forward.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
There were a few years there when the Browns had over 50M in space because the team was so bad. But I don't know how much they carried over. I think there is also a salary floor you can't go below, but I don't know what that is. But theoretically you can carry over a lot and splurge for one year. Then just keep pushing money forward.
Yeah 50 million seems excessive I thought you get fined for not spending a certain amount of the cap? I'd imagine the Cowboys are cutting it close with what the floor is.

Flamma

Reaction score
Yeah 50 million seems excessive I thought you get fined for not spending a certain amount of the cap? I'd imagine the Cowboys are cutting it close with what the floor is.
The Cowboys are nowhere near the floor. They had practically maxed out the cap before getting Gallup money.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Per the CBA, teams must send 85% of the salary cap over a running 4 year period on player compensation.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Your paychecks equal to 50k a month buddy, but you have that mortgage to pay, school loans, bills etc. Do you want to spend all your money in that month, or is it best to save some for next month so you're not struggling??

You're so rich my man!!! Lol

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Like others have said, there's a salary floor as well. I want to say it's 90% per year. So you can roll over some cap space, but not a lot.

The NFLPA wants to make sure that salary cap dollars keep circulating to their players, which is just good union bargaining.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
You're a smart person to decipher through all the ummm uhhh uhhhh ummm ummm uhhhhhhhh lol

Flamma

Reaction score
Per the CBA, teams must send 85% of the salary cap over a running 4 year period on player compensation.
Yes. And the NFL as a whole has to spend 95% of the cap over that time frame. If a team doesn't do it, they have to pay the players they had over those 4 years. But I don't believe this has ever been enforced.

J12B

Reaction score
Yes. And the NFL as a whole has to spend 95% of the cap over that time frame. If a team doesn't do it, they have to pay the players they had over those 4 years. But I don't believe this has ever been enforced.
Probably hasn't been enforced because it's never needed to be enforced.

Guarantee the Players Union keeps a close eye on this.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Your paychecks equal to 50k a month buddy, but you have that mortgage to pay, school loans, bills etc. Do you want to spend all your money in that month, or is it best to save some for next month so you're not struggling??

You're so rich my man!!! Lol
The disconnect was when people keep saying "carry over" I thought there was a set salary cap. I didn't know some teams can have a different salary cap then others.