Question, if Commanders are restructing contracts well into 2011 & 12, why cant we?

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
SkinsandTerps said:
First off the Commanders could easily find room for maybe 2 of those guys that were worth the money this past season.

Then why didn't they??

Why do you keep talking about Robert Royal ?

Because the Skins are widely reported to want to re-sign him... and that will cost them some of their cap room, obviously...

If I'd read that the Skins didn't care if he hit the free agent highway or not, I wouldn't be factoring him into the equation...

Give them 10M fine with me. More than enough to sign whomever they want or shall I say need.

Let's just say that the Skins have a few more needs than you seem to think they do:

1-- They need a 2nd WR to complement Santana Moss, badly... ideally, this should be a bigger, possession-type WR, but there doesn't seem to be any of them in this free agent class... the closest to that description would be David Givens of the Pats, and the Skins don't seem to be showing any interest in him...

Another intriguing option, a guy I'd like to see the Boys make a move for, would be Eric Moulds of the Bills... yeah, he's like a 10 year vet, which is REALLY old for a WR, but I think he's got another 2 or 3 years of productive play in him...

2-- As I've touched on earlier, they need 2, maybe 3, new DBs... one of these could come in the draft, of course... the loss of Bowens and Harris will hurt more than you guys seem to be willing to admit...

3) They need a quality pass-rushing DE, and apparently, they feel like then need a DT as well (given their stated interest in Maake Kemoeatu)...

4) They need at least 2 quality backups for their offensive line... I like their starting five, but they don't have ANYBODY worth a hammered crap after those 5... I mean, nobody...

Yeah, Corey Raymer wasn't much, but with him on the way out the door, your top backup at center is Lennie Friedman, all 285 pounds of him... I'd like it if you guys were forced to play him a lot, but I'll bet you Gibbs wouldn't...

If you don't believe me, just think about how their offense went totally in the toilet when the injuries started coming on the OL late in the season (starting with Randy Thomas breaking his leg against the Cowboys in game 14, then his replacement got hurt too)... two injuries, and suddenly the Skins were averaging 3.9 yards per play, and less than 230 yards per game over their last 3 games (the regular season finale and the 2 playoff games)...

5) They need a kicker, and a punter...

6) They seem to think they need a backup QB (why, I don't know, but they're reportedly interested in Todd Collins)...

7) They have been leaked to at least 3 free agent TEs, which suggests that they might not bring Royal back after all...

I don't see them needing additional help at RB, and I don't recall reading that they've shown much interest in any LBs, but that means they could really stand to add 10, maybe 12 new contributors to the roster...

Good luck getting that done with no first round draft pick, 5 picks overall (actually, probably 6, once they trade Patrick Ramsey), and 10 million in cap room... clearly, the Skins won't have sufficient resources to address all of their most pressing needs...

Meanwhile, I think it quite likely that the Cowboys will be able to address most if not all of their most pressing needs, in some cases with multiple options, draft AND free agency... I'm talkin' about FS, ROT, C, WR, OLB, K... after that, it would be nice, but not critical, if they could find a good lead-blocking FB, a replacement for Dan Campbell at blocking TE (though Brett Pierce or Sean Ryan might prove to be adequate there if given the chance), perhaps a massive run-stuffing NT...

With 22.6 million in cap room, and the ability to create more by restructuring Larry Allen's deal, AND a first round draft pick, I feel confident that they CAN address most all of their most pressing needs...

In fact, right now my biggest worry is that they'll get stupid, and sign TO... that'll leave a bad taste in my mouth, no matter how well they do with the rest of free agency, I wouldn't piss on that sumb***h if he was on fire...

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
SkinsandTerps said:
silverbear we have already been through our insult matches. I am beginning to think you may drink on the job. haha.

Naw, over time I've just come to see you as something other than a troll... I'm a Golden Rule kind of Bear, I insult trolls (who by their actions are insulting me), but when I run across somebody who seems to want to talk football, I try to respond in kind...

If I misjudged you in the past, well, let's just say that I'm not proud of having done so...

Now, there was a time when I was a drinkin' man, a Jack Daniels kind of guy, but that all ended when I was diagnosed with diabetes... been a teetotaler for 5-6 months now, LOL...