Question on the Challenge

Paniolo22

Hawaiian Cowboy
Reaction score
How in the hell did we go from 3rd and 20 to first and ten? I know the challenge reversed the play, and Parcells got a 15 yard penalty, but unsportmanlike conduct is not an automatic first down, so what happend?

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Unsportsmanlike conduct is an automatic first down, and it was called that way. (Al Michaels said it was third-and-5, but he was wrong.)

Parcells was stupid for throwing the challenge flag, and I'm sure he would admit that. He could have called timeout if he wanted to give the officials time to review it. Sure, it would have cost us a timeout, but it would have forced New Orleans into third-and-20 from outside of field-goal range. Throwing the challenge flag gave the Saints an automatic first down, even though the replay review went in our favor.

Paniolo22

Hawaiian Cowboy
Reaction score
AdamJT13;1225167 said:
Unsportsmanlike conduct is an automatic first down, and it was called that way. (Al Michaels said it was third-and-5, but he was wrong.)

Parcells was stupid for throwing the challenge flag, and I'm sure he would admit that. He could have called timeout if he wanted to give the officials time to review it. Sure, it would have cost us a timeout, but it would have forced New Orleans into third-and-20 from outside of field-goal range. Throwing the challenge flag gave the Saints an automatic first down, even though the replay review went in our favor.

Ok, that's what I figured. I also wondered out loud why didn't they just call a damn time out? While we're at it, why did Ware get called for a delay penalty on the supposed false start? Because he rocked forward? BS call to me.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
That stupidity by Parcells cost us serious momentum. Now saying they wouldn't have scored, but you never know.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Paniolo22;1225171 said:
While we're at it, why did Ware get called for a delay penalty on the supposed false start? Because he rocked forward? BS call to me.

If you make an abrupt movement and an offensive lineman flinches, it's a delay of game penalty on the defense for making him jump --

(n) Defensive player(s) aligned in a stationary position within one yard of the line of scrimmage cannot make quick and abrupt actions that are not part of normal defensive player movement in an obvious attempt to cause an offensive player(s) to foul (false start).

The problem with that is that it seems to happen quite often, but it gets called only once in a great while. They'll usually call it a false start on the offense.

Paniolo22

Hawaiian Cowboy
Reaction score
AdamJT13;1225237 said:
If you make an abrupt movement and an offensive lineman flinches, it's a delay of game penalty on the defense for making him jump --

(n) Defensive player(s) aligned in a stationary position within one yard of the line of scrimmage cannot make quick and abrupt actions that are not part of normal defensive player movement in an obvious attempt to cause an offensive player(s) to foul (false start).

The problem with that is that it seems to happen quite often, but it gets called only once in a great while. They'll usually call it a false start on the offense.

Thanks Adam. Looked minor to me, being that he barely crossed the neutral zone if at all, plus the move didn't appear abrupt at all on the replay.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Paniolo22;1225255 said:
Thanks Adam. Looked minor to me, being that he barely crossed the neutral zone if at all, plus the move didn't appear abrupt at all on the replay.

You don't have to cross into the neutral zone at all.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Isn't this the second time that Parcells has done this? I kinda remember him doing the same thing once before.