questions for Oregon fans

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
with the change in the PAT for the NFL, something popped into my head.

Why does Oregon always go for 2 after their 1st TD?

I swear, every time I see the score ticker, it is 8-0 Oregon early in the 1st Q. Then after that, they seem to go for 1 for most of the game. So I am wondering why they always go for 2 after the first TD, but then only kick the PAT for the several TDs afterwards?

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Allow me to preface this post. I'm definitely not an Oregon fan. In fact, I ******* hate the Quackers. They've ruined college football uniforms forever. Now that that's off my chest, let's delve into your question as to why they go for two.

This is merely speculation, but a fairly educated speculation. Going for two and executing it puts added pressure on the other team for the entire game knowing they are down at the very minimum, two possessions. Now unless the opposing team goes for two themselves to keep pace, then the momentum will always be in Oregon's favor. It's also easier in a sense to go for the two point conversion after the first touchdown because the opposing defense is still adjusting to the offense and scheme. Lastly, consider it gamesmanship.

Bottom line, it's all about getting the opponent behind the 8 ball early in the game and trying to play catch up. It can take you out of your initial game plan in a hurry.