QUESTIONS: Post your questions for rookie DE Jason Hatcher

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hi all,

In partnership with the Grambling Fan Forum, Rookie DE Jason Hatcher has graciously accepted requests to answer questions from his fans. He has already begun to answer questions from Grambling fans, see his responses below.

You are welcome to submit any questions in this thread and I will submit them all to the admin of the Grambling Fan Forum for Jason Hatcher to respond.

Q: What made attend Grambling?
A: I attended Grambling, because of tha history, and to have a opportunity to play for a coach like Doug Williams, the Super Bowl MVP.

Q: What were you doing while the draft was going on?
A: I was sitting in front of the television at my draft party for 8 hours.

Q: What was your feeling when you arrived at training camp?
A: I felt nervous and sort of lost, until I got in the swing of things.

Q: What was your favorite football team(s) growing up?
A: The Dallas Cowboys and Green Bay Packers

Q: Do you keep up with your former teammates at Grambling?
A: Yes I keep up with my teammates, I'm constantly calling and asking how the team doing. I really love my teammates.

Q: Is it true you hung up on Cowboys owner Jerry Jones...explain how?
Hatcher wrote:
A: yes it true I hung up on jerry. When I recieved the call I got so excited that my face hit the hang up button, and hung up in his face.

Q: What other NFL teams were interested in you?
A:Kansas City, New England, New Orleans, just to name a few. I dont want to brag. ha ha

Q: What was the highlight of your college career?
A:Winning my first ever championship.

Q: Is it true you could have come back to Grambling for another year?
A: Yes it's true.

Q: What has changed since you've signed with the Cowboys?
A: My bank account, the size of my house, pretty much everything but me, I'm still Jason Hatcher

Q: How did it feel to sack Tavaris Jackson, a player whom you've played against in college?
A: It felt good, because I was going into that game really wanting to sack him, and when I sacked him I told him that he was use to me sacking him anyway.

Q: How are your kids adjusting to their new surroundings?
A:They are adjusting to it well, they really like Dallas.

Q:What was your best game as a college player?
A:I would have to say the Washington State game.

Q: Do you think you will get much playing time this year?
A:Yes

Q:I read somewhere that you said that you were under-coached at Grambling, please explain.
A:They mis-quoted me on that, I would never say anything like that about my coaches.

Q: Did you choose #97 or was it chosen for you?
A: It was chosen for me.

Q: Did you feel that you accompished all that you could at Grambling?
A: yes

Q: Do you think that you would have been drafted higher if you played your senior year at Grambling?
A: Probably not, because I came out in a defensive draft, who knows next years draft may be for the offense.

Q: Do you prefer playing Tight End or Defensive End?
A: Defensive end

Q: If you had to tell someone who didn't know anything about Grambling what would you say?
A: Its the only place where everybody is somebody.

Q:What kind of car did you drive in college?
A: 1989 Lincoln town car

Q: What kind do you drive now?
A: 2007 Cadillac Escalade

Q:How long is your contract for?
A: 4 years

Q: What do you do for fun?
A: I like to spend time with my kids.

Q: Do you have any hobbies?
A: fishing, hunting, and playing madden

Q: What was your major in college?
A: Sports Management

Q: If you didn't attend Grambling what college would you have liked to have attended?
A: LSU or La Tech

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Looking at the measureables between you and the first overall pick Mario Williams by the Houston Texans you seem to have all the same tools he does.

How would you compare yourself to him?

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Jason Hatcher, it is reported that you are the next great Leon Lett or Richard Seymour by comparision to players in NFL.
My question is this, what are your true size dimensions, I have read that your anywhere from 6-5 to 6-6, speed in the 40 ranging from 4.84. to 4.92, with weight size of 288 to 280, and that your losing weight because your not eating the right kind of foods.

So, what are your true size dimensions and speed.
I as a Dallas Cowboy fan since 1966, I am really excited to have you aboard, and hope you help make our defensive line the greatest, even better than Doomsday ! or Doomsday !! with such players like George Andrie, Bob Lily, Jethro Pugh, or Ed Too Tall Jones, Randy White, John Dutton, & Harvey Martin.

Finally, what do you think are your best assets being a defensive linemen, your run blocking or your pass rushing?

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've heard (read) that you're pretty good on passing rushing, but not as strong in run defense. What are some of the things the coaches have you working to improve?

brucem78

Benched
Reaction score
Jason, Congratulations on a great preseason. I found myself watching your pass rush every time you were on the field. Great Job. My question is, What current or former NFL player do you think you are most like now, and who do you try to emulate?

Cowboy Junkie

leonargized
Reaction score
Could you please explain the difference between a preseason game and your first regular season game and after all was said and done , how well were you prepared for it?

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
Would you be opposed to playing some Linebacker if the situation arose and how do you think you would handle that position?

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
Hello Jason. Do you feel the Cowboys defense is an aggressive, attacking defense, and why? Is a lot of the defense still under wraps? We've seen some great individual efforts, like yours, but overall I can't get a handle on how agressive Mr. Zimmer wants to be.

TheEnigma

Anomaly
Reaction score
Jason, this question isn't about you necessarily, but about one of your teammates. When Greg Ellis was making the switch to OLB at the beginning of Training Camp, it seemed like everyone was really rooting for him. His being elected defensive captain. Would you care to shed some light on the situation.

TheEnigma

Anomaly
Reaction score
Also, who would you say are the primary leaders fn the defense, by being vocal or by example?

JonCJG

Reaction score
How much weight and strength do you lose over the course of a season.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Jason, what are some of the important things you learned over the mincamps-training camp-preseason period that will help you be a successful player in the NFL?

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
You get hazed at all during training camp?

Who do you see as the leader of the defensive line?

What vet has helped you the most making the transition from Grambling to the Dallas Cowboys?

GTaylor

Gif Dude
Reaction score
Q: If you didn't attend Grambling what college would you have liked to have attended?
A: LSU or La Tech
Don't care for the LSU part but I did the La Tech love.

Q: If you had to tell someone who didn't know anything about Grambling what would you say?
A: Its the only place where everybody is somebody.
I would have answered that it's one of few schools where the parking lot has plates from all 50 states, couldn't believe how far people drove to attend school there.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Have you ever watched game film of DEs like Reggie White, Bruce Smith, or Charles Haley?

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
Hostile said:
Have you ever watched game film of DEs like Reggie White, Bruce Smith, or Charles Haley?

For some odd reason your post just took me back to the movie "Airplane". Did you ever see a grown man naked, Billy? :D

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
LeonDixson said:
For some odd reason your post just took me back to the movie "Airplane". Did you ever see a grown man naked, Billy? :D
"What's your vector Victor?"

"Over, Over."

"Roger."

"Huh?"

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
how does it feel to know that you made it from a smaller university into the NFL? Also what was the first thing you bought with your first paycheck?

baj1dallas

Reaction score
You can practice all sorts of moves, train your speed and power, but when you're in a game situation, what one aspect is most likely to let you beat your man and get to the QB?