Quicksand

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Last night reminded me of a scene from the movie The Replacements.

Yes Yes I know it was based on the Skins during the strike season but it still reminds me of a scene from that movie.

The team is having a meeting and the Coach asks the players what they are afraid of.

The QB says "Quicksand"

When a player asks what that means the QB says...

"You're playing and you think everything is going fine. Then one thing goes wrong. And then another. And another. You try to fight back, but the harder you fight, the deeper you sink. Until you can't move... you can't breathe... because you're in over your head. Like quicksand. "

That is exactly what I was thinking last night.

We started out so well on Offense and Defense and then everything turns around and after that no matter what we do it does not turn out right.

We had one extremely lucky moment with the TO touchdown, we had some decent play on kick returns, but other than that Quicksand.

Of course other terms or phrases can be used to describe it such as Murphy's Law, Born under a bad sign, a beat down, taking behind the wood shed and so on.

But I think Quicksand summed it up.

Maybe it was time for us to come back down to earth, and not just the players but the coaches and the fans.

I think almost everyone was nibbling at that proverbial cheese.

This needs to be a point where it is time to figure out if we are going to get out of the quicksand or if we are going to keep on struggling until we disappear.

In other words we failed this test vs the saints, but it does not mean we can not make it up and go on to win the next game.

The NEXT game than Playoffs, not superbowl. I think too many people (players, coaches and fans) have been talking or saying superbowl before we even have made the playoffs.

This should bring everyone back down to earth, this should be a humbling exp that says, don't worry about games weeks down the road, just worry about the next game.

Part of me would love to be a fly on the wall at Valley Ranch this week.

I would love to see how humble everyone is now, when they go back and see the game film and see almost every area of the team (including coaches) were terrible. I want to see the looks on the faces when they show a missed tackle, a blown assignment, a terrible play call and so on.

Each of those players and coaches need to keep that in their minds as well. They need to buckle down, quit talking about the superbowl or playoffs and worry about each team they are getting ready to face.

No more eating the cheese and that goes for the head coach.

So...either grab a branch or vine and get out of the quicksand...or keep struggling and get consumed by the quicksand.

We will all see what happens.

superpunk

Reaction score
Nice post, and +10 for Born under a bad sign reference.

Throw it out and move on. Assigning blame after a game like that is pointless. Everything went wrong.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ManicDepressiveMan;1225477 said:
Quicksand was proven to be a myth on "Mythbusters".

Thanks for that tidbit of information that really does not mean much to this thread.

Everyone knows what the analogy is about.

Thanks again.