Quincy Carter...The Final Word

jman

Reaction score
According to Mort, Quincy Carter filed his retirement papers on September 1st. If he choses to un-retire, he may face up to a one year suspension for violation of the NFL's substance abuse policy.

Thank you, and good night.

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
I understand he had issues with drugs, but he also had talent. I don't see why he would retire. I mean, clean up, face the suspension, and keep playing. Even if it's only as a backup somewhere, it doesn't make sense to give up.

Rude

Reaction score
Ozzu said:
I understand he had issues with drugs, but he also had talent. I don't see why he would retire. I mean, clean up, face the suspension, and keep playing. Even if it's only as a backup somewhere, it doesn't make sense to give up.

Agreed, how can someone walk away from this sport (million dollar salary) due to drugs and etc. I always rooted for Carter, but thats a horrible move.

jman

Reaction score
Ozzu said:

Maybe he just can't handle the pressure. If that is the case he has done what is best of him.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
One of his major faults is never accepting that he had a problem. This if true further solidifies it.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Nors said:
One of his major faults is never accepting that he had a problem. This if true further solidifies it.

How is that? If he retires, perhaps it indicates that he is taking responsibility for his faults. I don't think it indicates either. Looks like just the realization that his career is over.

He had his chances and failed. I am disappointed that he failed at his first chance because that was with the Cowboys. I liked the Cowboys taking a chance at him. I just wish they would have done it with a 4th round pick instead of a 2nd and let him play a year behind Tony Banks. Turns out he wasn't worth the risk. It doesn't help in the way the Cowboys handled him his rookie and second season.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Per Mort

Quincy Carter update

The last time Testaverde replaced a young quarterback was in the summer of 2004 when he took over for Quincy Carter with the Dallas Cowboys.

Carter ended up with the Jets and was thrust into action when Chad Pennington was injured. But Carter vanished in January, leaving the team to once again seek treatment for what sources said were chemical dependence and a form of depression, possibly bipolar disorder.

Carter hasn't been in circulation this year and wasn't on the Jets' minds when Pennington and Jay Fiedler were injured two weeks ago -- for logical reasons.

Carter is in a Ricky Williams-type situation. Sources say he submitted his retirement papers to the league office on Sept. 1. If he tried to unretire during a 12-month period, he would be slapped with credit for a "positive" test under the league's substance-abuse policy. In Carter's case, that would constitute a fourth positive and a minimum one-year suspension.

Carter did have his grievance hearing this week against the Cowboys, claiming he was wrongfully terminated in 2004. The Cowboys said it was for performance reasons only. Carter is arguing that it was based solely on the team's knowledge that he had suffered setbacks in the drug program -- a transaction that would violate the current labor agreement.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=mortensen_chris&id=2182503

jman

Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:
Per Mort

Quincy Carter update

The last time Testaverde replaced a young quarterback was in the summer of 2004 when he took over for Quincy Carter with the Dallas Cowboys.

Carter ended up with the Jets and was thrust into action when Chad Pennington was injured. But Carter vanished in January, leaving the team to once again seek treatment for what sources said were chemical dependence and a form of depression, possibly bipolar disorder.

Carter hasn't been in circulation this year and wasn't on the Jets' minds when Pennington and Jay Fiedler were injured two weeks ago -- for logical reasons.

Carter is in a Ricky Williams-type situation. Sources say he submitted his retirement papers to the league office on Sept. 1. If he tried to unretire during a 12-month period, he would be slapped with credit for a "positive" test under the league's substance-abuse policy. In Carter's case, that would constitute a fourth positive and a minimum one-year suspension.

Carter did have his grievance hearing this week against the Cowboys, claiming he was wrongfully terminated in 2004. The Cowboys said it was for performance reasons only. Carter is arguing that it was based solely on the team's knowledge that he had suffered setbacks in the drug program -- a transaction that would violate the current labor agreement.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=mortensen_chris&id=2182503

Thank for the update...I was thinking I was the only one that had heard about that.