Quitting Smoking

dougonthebench

Cowboys Forever
Reaction score
I found out two days ago that my Uncle has been diagnosed with lung cancer.He is still in the early stages and we his family aren't real sure about his outcome.As of Tuesday,I quit smoking.I have only smoked for about 7 or 8 years averaging about a half a pack to a pack and a half a day.(depending on the day and circumstances.I'd like to know how some of you have quit,what you did,and how you handled it.I've been kinda grumpy and aggressive lately,which is not my norm.

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
Jan 1 it will be 3 years since I've smoked. I tried several things, gums, patches and Dr. prescribed RX, but the only thing that worked for me was cold turkey.

After the first 2-4 weeks it will get a little easier then you'll hit another stage after a few months where you won't really think much about them. However, don't think you will never want one again at some point. I will still want one every now and again. Usually if I'm out drinking. Which brings up a good point. In the first month or so I would definitely stay away from bars and drinking all together. That is a sure fire way to start up again.

Also, be sure to exercise regularly. I gained 40 pounds in the first few months after I quit. I have since lost most of it back but not all.

Hoov

Reaction score
i quit many years ago. i smoked from 16-17 to about 22-23. guess i smoked for somewhere around 6 years, marlboro reds, pack a day, more when i was binging on weekend long parties.

Thing was, the nicotene started making me feel sick. According to a doctor i had a mild allergy that was acting up and then got wosre. If i smoked too many a day i would get dizzy and nauseous and get a headache. Then i cut back to half a pack and I felt alright, a few months later that was too much, i just continue to cut back until the only time i smoked was the after dinner cigarette, when i was drinking, and right before bed. This went on for a while until i finally just developed a general distatse for smoking and dropped it.

I know some other people who quit using that type of method, slowly cut back the number per day. Or you can try only smoking a few draws and putting it out.

But if you can handles the stopping cold turkey that would be the best. As far as what to do about the mood swings, i dont really know, but i beleive that will go away after 4-6 weeks.

dougonthebench

Cowboys Forever
Reaction score
funny you mention that,I work in a bar.Jan 13, I'll be sober for 4 years.Smoking has seemed a little harder to quit than alcohol or drugs.I also started working out before I quit.I'm a little underweight.

Hoov

Reaction score
AmarilloCowboyFan said:
Jan 1 it will be 3 years since I've smoked. I tried several things, gums, patches and Dr. prescribed RX, but the only thing that worked for me was cold turkey.

After the first 2-4 weeks it will get a little easier then you'll hit another stage after a few months where you won't really think much about them. However, don't think you will never want one again at some point. I will still want one every now and again. Usually if I'm out drinking. Which brings up a good point. In the first month or so I would definitely stay away from bars and drinking all together. That is a sure fire way to start up again.

Also, be sure to exercise regularly. I gained 40 pounds in the first few months after I quit. I have since lost most of it back but not all.

yeah, something about drinking makes you want one really bad. The exercise is good advice also because as you improve cardiovascularly that tends to offset the desire to smoke.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
I grew up around chain smokers and was around smokers when I was in the military but I have never had the urge to start.

Good luck in quitting and hopefully your uncle will be ok.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
The best of luck to you. I've been trying to quit myself......w/out much luck

jimmy40

Reaction score
djdoug said:
I found out two days ago that my Uncle has been diagnosed with lung cancer.He is still in the early stages and we his family aren't real sure about his outcome.As of Tuesday,I quit smoking.I have only smoked for about 7 or 8 years averaging about a half a pack to a pack and a half a day.(depending on the day and circumstances.I'd like to know how some of you have quit,what you did,and how you handled it.I've been kinda grumpy and aggressive lately,which is not my norm.
I quit smoking 1 1/2 years ago after smoking a pack and a half for 21 years. I used the patch, it worked great for me but you have to want to quit. If you don't want to quit, you most likely won't. I got tired of barfing up half a lung every morning. What a nasty habit. I flat out was ready to quit and the patches kep't me from having any urges at all. I tried quitting cold turkey several times but couldn't handle it. Good luck.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Good luck, Doug.

I kind of know what you're going through. A week ago I saw my doctor and he says I have acid reflux disease (GERD). It's strange cuz I never had problems like this before then all the sudden it hits me all at once.

So now I can't eat pretty much everything I like to eat.

No more caffeinated drinks
Chocolate
Peppermint
Onions
fried food
tomato sauce (so no pizza or spaghetti)
etc...

The good news is I've been needing to drop some weight for a long time. I've been working out for 2 months and have only lost 5 lbs, mainly cuz of my diet. Now I'll be forced to eat better so the weight should come off pretty easy now. :D

It does suck having a stomach ache (cramps) 24/7 (for over a month now), but it's starting to feel a little better. At least I don't have an overwhelming feeling of having to throwup anymore. Not often anyway.

ROMOSAPIEN9

Proud Grandpa
Reaction score
The same with quitting any addiction. It's all about forming new habits. Maybe oversimplified, but the truth nonetheless.

My mom quit smoking after 30+years. One of the things that the program that she was using said to do.....put all the butts of all the cigs that you smoke in a clear glass jar. Keep it out in the open and visible. Somehow that is supposed to remind you how disgusting it is, and help you with your resolve.

Like I said, my mom quit after 30+years. She hasn't touched one in over 10 years since.

Hope this helps!

dougonthebench

Cowboys Forever
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the ways yall have posted,I'm doing better.When I was battling my addictions,I learned to get things out in the open,and to listen to how others have dealt with their problems,and find my own way(usuing your help)to solve my problem.My hardest time to "quit"seemed to be at work,but that went all right last night.I didnt touch a cigarette at all last night.I've also quit carrying a lighter,so I'm not tempted to "bum" a smoke.Once again,Thank You!

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
I smoked about a pack or more a day for 7-8 years and finally quit, so believe me, it's possible. In the end, it's all about willpower, but here are some helpful tips to get you going. I've posted these before when the obligatory stop smoking thread pops up, and other guys who have quit agreed with 'em. These are all things that helped me quit.

-- Stop hanging around your smoking friends, at least for a month or two.
-- Either clean out the house, or move to another one. Expensive, I know, but you'd be surprised how easy it is to not want to smoke up a house when it's new and doesn't smell and look like an ashtray.
-- If you have smoking family or roommates, you're in deep kaka. Try and figure out how you can convince them to stop with you or leave the house because they're going to make it very hard for you.
-- Aerobic exercise, aerobic exercise and more aerobic exercise. Your lungs will let you know how terrible a habit it is. It will also help with the weight you're about to gain. Expect anywhere from 10-20 pounds if you're not exercising.
-- Brag to your friends and family that you're quitting. Peer pressure works. You won't want to let them down and will have a hard time facing them after smoking.
-- Think of family who have died from smoking. Think of diseases such as strokes and other horrible afflictions that are greatly enhanced for smokers. Think of death and disfigurement as much as possible to try and motivate you. LOL It can also be quitting for your wife or young child. Whatever motivates you. You need some big motivators to keep you going in the tough times.
-- Don't drink for a while and avoid bars at all costs! Alcohol = smoking.
-- Try to abandon habits that cause smoking. Or replace the smoking with something else. I know I would smoke like a chimney after dinner, on the computer at home, and other times.
-- Find other addictions to replace nicotine. Doctors will tell you this is unhealthy but it helps to increase your caffeine dependence or another mild drug temporarily. Not only does it give you another mental crutch, but it helps keep your energy going because you will feel tired for a while.

After you get through the first month, it's much easier. I still get urges to this day and I haven't touched a smoke in about 2 years. I get them at the weirdest times, but it's nothing compared to what it was like the first month.

Good luck and I hope you clear those lungs out! :starspin