"Best Defense in the NFC" - Stewart circa Aug.

followthestar

Reaction score
We should all remember our DC suggesting before the season that we had a chance to be the best defense in the NFC. Can we actually climb to the top as a defensive unit? We actually might...

Let's take a quick rundown of a few players who should give us a extra defensive boost in the second half of the season:

Greg Ellis is according to him only playing at 75-80 percent. He seems on track to be playing closer to 90 percent going into the playoffs. Just his veteran presence on the field is a major factor in big games.

Terrance Newman is also at about 80 percent and should be back to about 90 percent for the playoffs. I still admire his run support - he's a very good tackler. As a punt returner he can also influence a game.

Jason Hatcher is coming into his own, and if making plays gets him more playing time, he'll have Spears' job by season's end. Maybe Spears hasn't worked out, but Hatcher is proving to be a pass-rushing force in his own right.

Tank Johnson will be a welcome addition to the DT rotation. He may have some initial rust, but again by season's end his play should be back to its normal level of destructiveness.

Anthony Henry is almost ready to take the field again, and though he may be limited at first, he should be ready to start again in a couple more weeks. Again, he'll be good to go just about the time the regular season ends, back to 90 percent or so hopefully.

I could add (I think I will...) that the defensive unit as a whole is mastering this new scheme with each game it plays, or that players like Spencer and Reeves are gaining valuable experience also, or that simply having a good offense makes their jobs easier. But the point is, this defense has every chance to be the best in the NFC when the rankings are all in. We should continue to get better each week...

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
We have the No. 1-ranked defense in the NFC right now.

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
But can we keep that title after facing the offensive juggernaut that is the Washington Commanders not once, but twice before the season is out?

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
dallasfaniac;1738669 said:
But can we keep that title after facing the offensive juggernaut that is the Washington Commanders not once, but twice before the season is out?

"offensice juggernaut" and "washington redkins" in the same sentence....

wassa matta wit chu man :lmao:

Wolfpack

Reaction score

Hey...they could really light us up with 20-30 3yrd curls per game.

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
Have you even see any of the Commanders games?

They are far from being an offensive juggernaut.

Their offense is well, very offensive, impotent, shooting blanks...Campbell sucks, their running game sucks, their patched up O-Line sucks, their WRs can't catch the ball, no TD by any of their WR thus far...Did I mentioned their offense sucks?

mwj473

Reaction score
03EBZ06;1738725 said:
Have you even see any of the Commanders games?

They are far from being an offensive juggernaut.

Their offense is well, very offensive, impotent, shooting blanks...Campbell sucks, their running game sucks, their patched up O-Line sucks, their WRs can't catch the ball, no TD by any of their WR thus far...Did I mentioned their offense sucks?

Your sarcasm meter may be broken. I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic about the Commander offense, everyone knows they are horrible.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Assuming everyone injured gets healthy AND assuming no one else gets hurt, you may have a point. We just have to hope for no injuries for the Cowboys.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
lane;1738817 said:
the number one offense too!

That's really more why the D is so well ranked. We don't get the sort of QB pressure we need to and the injuries at CB have hurt us, as has the spotty play at safety.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
abersonc;1738847 said:
That's really more why the D is so well ranked. We don't get the sort of QB pressure we need to and the injuries at CB have hurt us, as has the spotty play at safety.
I think it's more impressive to have a highly ranked defense when you have such a prolific offense, because opponents are forced to the air much more often.

And I don't get the "QB pressure" comment because we're 10th in sacks, and I'd bet we're ranked if you included pressures.

Facin'Fools

King Of McCordsville
Reaction score
AdamJT13;1738662 said:

They do that ranking on yards allowed....not a lot to fall back on.....

JPM

Reaction score
zrinkill;1738834 said:
Edunce is gonna avoid this thread.

It's got facts.

Billy Bullocks;1738859 said:
d00d JAQUE REEVES HALL OF FAME 20?? !!!!!
He's the fastest guy on the team....

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
AdamJT13;1738662 said:

That is pretty stunning considering out performances against the Gints and the Pats.