"Best Defense in the NFC" - Stewart circa Aug.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
I think there some different definitions for the word "best" in terms of how it is measured.

I've always felt that in this era, the best defense is the one that causes the most turn overs, short fields, and game changing plays.

This team had some great yardage against stats when Zimmer was the coordinator...even finished first...but to my way of thinking, those were never great defenses.

BehindEnemyLinez

Optimist Prime
Reaction score
I think this defense has enough talent, when healthy, to meet Stewart's lofty expectations. These next few games will be telling as they should show us if they're ready to take that next step and begin to dominate opponents instead of doing just enough to eke out a victory. I expect them to hold teams to under 20pts/gm the rest of the season (I don't think that's too much to ask) and the Romo Empire should be able to handle the rest!

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
Juke99;1739285 said:
I think there some different definitions for the word "best" in terms of how it is measured.

I've always felt that in this era, the best defense is the one that causes the most turn overs, short fields, and game changing plays.

This team had some great yardage against stats when Zimmer was the coordinator...even finished first...but to my way of thinking, those were never great defenses.

I agree, you can't overlook the other stats. Like these:

Passing D
Dallas is 2nd NFC in QB rating allowed. 2nd in Ints. Tied for 3rd in completion percent. Tied for 3rd in yards per attempt. 3rd in yards allowed. 6th in sacks.

Rushing D
Dallas is 2nd NFC in rushing yards. Tied 2nd for AVG per rush. 4th in TD allowed (3 TDs, 3 Teams allowed 2)

I didn't have much time to do this because I am at work, but basically, when you look at the stats, Dallas is pretty much always near the top in every meaningful category in the NFC. Overall, Dallas has a pretty good defense. They might be lower than some teams in some categories, but those same teams are terrible at other areas. Dallas hasn't cause many fumbles in the rushing game. Why? Because teams have rushed fewer times against Dallas than any other team in the NFC.

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
Facin'Fools;1738994 said:
They do that ranking on yards allowed....not a lot to fall back on.....

Thanks. Needed a reality check on this. However small it is.

I do think we can get better on both sides of the ball.

Two areas we could get better in ar Ball control - and the clock.
Turnovers - only +1 right now.

Offensively I would like Julias to step it up a bit.
Then get Crayton and Fasano into the mix more. Hopefully Gleen gets better soon.

Defensivly - Ellis gets it together to get the rest of the D line moving.
Henry and Newman get to 100% and we develop a real good cover corner for the third receiver. Then start taking away the ball from everyone.

pugilist

Stick N Move
Reaction score
dallasfaniac;1738669 said:
But can we keep that title after facing the offensive juggernaut that is the Washington Commanders not once, but twice before the season is out?

are you serious?

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
dwarecwby311;1739536 said:
are you serious?

Note to self, remember to put [/sarcasm off] at the end of sarcastic posts because too many people get confused by obvious sarcastic posts. How would they know for sure without a clue, when the Washington Commanders are statistically within the bottom 5 on offense?

Edit: [/sarcasm off]

pugilist

Stick N Move
Reaction score
dallasfaniac;1739552 said:
Note to self, remember to put [/sarcasm off] at the end of sarcastic posts because too many people get confused by obvious sarcastic posts. How would they know for sure without a clue, when the Washington Commanders are statistically within the bottom 5 on offense?

Edit: [/sarcasm off]

or you could just put /sarcasm

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
dwarecwby311;1739559 said:
or you could just put /sarcasm

True, but I wouldn't want posters thinking that I was then turning sarcasm on, they might not know what the / signified. :D

Zman5

Reaction score
dallasfaniac;1738669 said:
But can we keep that title after facing the offensive juggernaut that is the Washington Commanders not once, but twice before the season is out?

Don't you mean offensive numb nut?