"For God's Sake, Please Stop the Aid!" - Kenyan Economist Sounds off

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
mickgreen58;1521096 said:
I thought this was a pretty interesting and atypical read.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/spiegel/0,1518,363663,00.html

I remember reading that last year...

Mr. Shikwati lays out excellent points, but unfortunately it falls on deaf ears it seems...

The problem is three-fold:

1) Many of these charities that collect aid for Africa (and other countries and causes) have an ulterior motive. That being financing their OWN organization and lifestyle at the expense of funds given. These "administrative" costs can typically run higher than 60% of the money taken in.

2) Many times "do-gooders" know more than the person they are trying to help. In other words, "I realize you don't THINK you need this money, but you really do. Now take it". Mr. Shikwati points out that the money is then pilfered by corrupt government and organizations. Why in the world would corrupt governments want to feed the hungry when it is a cash cow for them?

3) As Mr. Shikwati points out, we are teaching these people to be beggars while he says they need to be self-sufficient. I agree.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Hey, take it to the political board. Just kidding. That place is dead. I opened it up the other day and bats flew out of my screen.