"Greenhouse" the new "Newhouse"

Armbender

Reaction score
eery....They are kinda built the same if I remember correctly seeing him on Thursday.

Armbender

Reaction score
Armbender;4052461 said:
eery....They are kinda built the same if I remember correctly seeing him on Thursday.

Greenhouse Moving From LB To Fullback
Posted by nickeatman at 8/16/2011 2:19 PM CDT on dallascowboys.com

The Cowboys are obviously looking for more answers at the fullback, making another position switch on Tuesday to accommodate the position.

Linebacker Isaiah Greenhouse, who is stuck in the middle of a crowded middle linebacker spot, is expected to switch over to fullback for Tuesday’s practice.

It’s not the first time in camp the Cowboys have added a player to fullback, having moved tight end Jason Pociask just a few days into camp at San Antonio.

That now makes four fullbacks on the roster, along with last year’s starter Chris Gronkowski and seventh-round pick Shaun Chapas.

Actually, history suggests this could be a good thing for Greenhouse. The Cowboys have had some success with training camp switches from linebacker to fullback. In 1999, the club moved Robert Thomas to the offense and he became a three-year starter, even leading the way for Emmitt Smith’s NFL record-breaking run in 2002.

The Cowboys also moved Oliver Hoyte from linebacker to fullback in 2006 and he became a starter in the offense.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Armbender;4052472 said:
The Cowboys have had some success with training camp switches from linebacker to fullback. In 1999, the club moved Robert Thomas to the offense and he became a three-year starter

Becoming a average starter by default makes Thomas a success story?

JakeCamp12

Reaction score
big dog cowboy;4052494 said:
Becoming a average starter by default makes Thomas a success story?

Yeah becoming a starter on some of the worst Cowboys teams ever is not that much of a success story...

JoeCorrado

Reaction score
JakeCamp12;4052503 said:
Yeah becoming a starter on some of the worst Cowboys teams ever is not that much of a success story...

Taken from HIS perspective, it must have been a huge success story. :cool:

Are we that down on the "native" fullbacks on the roster, or are we that high on the potential shown by a conversion?

Aye, THAT is the question.

Wolfpack

Reaction score
I dont think you are happy with your options when you are at FOUR fullbacks on a roster and half of them dont really play full back.

ddh33

Reaction score
I like them seeing what someone can do.

At this moment, isn't Martin Rucker better than any FB on the roster? And if so, shouldn't the team let Phillips handle a lot of the FB work while keeping someone else on the practice squad in the event of trouble?

Woods

Reaction score
ddh33;4052593 said:

At this moment, isn't Martin Rucker better than any FB on the roster? And if so, shouldn't the team let Phillips handle a lot of the FB work while keeping someone else on the practice squad in the event of trouble?

That's what I hope we do.

Stick on of the young FBs on the PS. Let Phillips be the H-Back/FB, and let's keep Rucker.

burmafrd

Reaction score
so one attempt more than 10 years ago had some success. How often have they tried it since? And have failed.

Stautner

Reaction score
ddh33;4052593 said:

I'm not sure there is enough information to make that statement.

Woods;4052609 said:
That's what I hope we do.

Stick on of the young FBs on the PS. Let Phillips be the H-Back/FB, and let's keep Rucker.

Gronk can't go to the PS, so if it is determined he is our best FB that wont be an option.

Frankly I don't like the idea of someone being a psuedo FB/TE - I prefer a guy at FB who has the mentality of a FB and focuses on that role. If we were using a FB only in short yardage situations it would be different, but to use a FB in normal formations all over the field is different. To me it is a secific role for a guy who learns that specific role.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I wonder why they didn't like Hynoski over Chapas? Hynoski has been making a lot of noise in Giants camp.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Armbender;4052461 said:

Say WHAT???!?

Newhouse was 5-10, 209 pounds (maybe 60 pounds of it in his thighs), Greenhouse is 6-2, 248...

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
Couple of things to consider:

Greenhouse made a heck of a ST play against Denver...
there was no movement when our current FB's engaged their players and sometimes they just crumbled to the ground like broken glass after contact...

I think they are looking for some one who will deliver a shot and actually move the guy.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
From Wiki:

He was tough to bring down, "like trying to tackle a fire hydrant," at 5'10" and 209 pounds, with arguably the largest thighs in the NFL (44" in circumference), Newhouse plowed his way through 4,784 rushing yards, 956 receiving yards and 31 touchdowns during his notable career.

Armbender

Reaction score
silverbear;4052823 said:
Say WHAT???!?

Newhouse was 5-10, 209 pounds (maybe 60 pounds of it in his thighs), Greenhouse is 6-2, 248...

He seemed bigger than that...shows how big athletes are getting. A 5'10 209 would be considered small for a halfback nowadays.