"I think I can potentially be a Pro Bowler... and a Hall of Famer"

Hypnotoad

Reaction score
I dont blame the kid for saying that, but i:bang2:when the media snickered/laughed at him though.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Hypnotoad;3928416 said:
I dont blame the kid for saying that, but i:bang2:when the media snickered/laughed at him though.
Dude, the "media" was Galloway and Steve Dennis.

Two of the biggest morons reporting on our team. My craps know more about football that Steve Dennis.

Reaction score
ThreeSportStar80;3928340 said:
I like what he said... "with hard work I believe I can be a pro bowler and hall of famer." I don't see anything wrong with that.

That's the key-"with hard work". I've listened to a few interviews with this kid & that seems to be his central theme-working hard. I have no problem with what he said at all.

You just look at the guy & he is all lean muscle. His hard work shows in the way he looks & plays. People need to give the kid a break. He's only 20. With his incredible skill-set, & long lean body, the sky's the limit for him. Plus, he plays with a mean streak.

Reaction score
Cogan;3928498 said:
That's the key-"with hard work". I've listened to a few interviews with this kid & that seems to be his central theme-working hard. I have no problem with what he said at all.

You just look at the guy & he is all lean muscle. His hard work shows in the way he looks & plays. People need to give the kid a break. He's only 20. With his incredible skill-set, & long lean body, the sky's the limit for him. Plus, he plays with a mean streak.

I'm loving the selection honestly... I think he's going to be a terrific player for years to come. Again only 20 years old!!!

Go Big D!

Destination End Zone
Reaction score
I didn't mind him saying that. I like the goals he has set for himself.
What I found annoying was the behavior of the Dallas media during the call.

They were asking him what he thought about coming to the Cowboys who haven't been any good for a long time now. And somebody asked something to the effect of what he thought about working for Garrett and somebody made the snide comment of "Trouble". And they were getting snarking and laughing because Smith kept asking them to repeat their questions(it was obviously loud in NY). I was really embarrassed that they were representing this team in any sort of way.

Go Big D!

Destination End Zone
Reaction score
Hypnotoad;3928416 said:

Me too. Totally disgusted by them.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
He said he "potentially" be a Pro Bowler and...man i'm not even wasting time debating this one. There is absolutely nothing wrong with what he said. Confidence is a problem now?

elcowboi

Reaction score
After he talked about being a probowler and Hall of Famer he said this: “I’m willing to take the challenge for myself and willing to work hard for it,” Smith said.

I already like this kid.

bsheeern

Reaction score
newlander;3928223 said:
When Jrat and Dware start pummeling him into the ground he'll think twice. For this to be the FIRST thing the kid says after getting drafted is....disappointing. Sounds 20 years old alright. Sure hope he doesn't play like it.
WRONG......... Pay attention

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Hostile;3928328 said:
Emmitt didn't sound cocky saying that? Koolaid my ***. Stop drinking urine.
I was gonna write something similar to that, thanks for sparing me the typing motion.

tupperware

A Plastic Container
Reaction score
Blast From The Past;3928795 said:
Glad he didn't say "I am gonna take Jerry's money and be a bust!"
bobby-carpenter-59-nfl.jpg

burmafrd

Reaction score
newlander is one that never liked smith so figure the source

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Yeah-what a loser....doesn't he know humility is what makes a great player great? He should have said something like this:

"I believe that’s something that’s got to be earned but I’m looking forward to the opportunity,” Carpenter said. “My dad said he always valued hard work and that’s something that I’m going to bring to the table every day. If there’s anything that has been questioned, hopefully I can answer that as well.”

-Bobby Carpenter 2006

newlander

Reaction score
burmafrd;3928834 said:
newlander is one that never liked smith so figure the source

.........last time we drafted on 'potential' was a couple years ago. Y'all remember the infamous 'special teams' draft? Hey, the kid might be the next Jackie Slater, or he might be the next Alex Barron. It's a crap shoot. The statement was over the top IMO. Galloway was a jag for laughing at the kid. But to all act like this kid is a slam dunk is ridiculous. Time will tell.

Primetime42

Reaction score
newlander;3928851 said:
.........last time we drafted on 'potential' was a couple years ago. Y'all remember the infamous 'special teams' draft? Hey, the kid might be the next Jackie Slater, or he might be the next Alex Barron. It's a crap shoot. The statement was over the top IMO. Galloway was a jag for laughing at the kid. But to all act like this kid is a slam dunk is ridiculous. Time will tell.
Every draft pick is made on potential brah.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;3928236 said:
Ratliff was not doing much pummeling last year and that type of competition in practice is only going to make that dream of his more of a reality.

I do not care if he thinks he is good as long as he does not think he does not need to work hard to stay at the top.

Humility is overrated.
This.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
As long as he understand what it takes to achive his goals I have no issue with him placing a high expectation on himself. Beats the hell out of guys saying they are just happy to get drafted