" I was wrong about Mike Jenkins and Dave Campo " thread.....

newlander

Reaction score
wow was I wrong: the kid is the real deal. I called him gutless after the Giants game last year: I was wrong : dead wrong. But there are some folks in here who were wrong about another Cowboy too: Dave Campo. Say what you want, but he has coached these guys UP and they're covering and laying lumber like they haven't in YEARS. I have always thought Campo is a VERY good secondary coach and DEf. Coordinator and went on record when he was rehired here. The lil' guy can coach. When wade is gone: probably next year, he'll be the frontrunner for the D.Coordinator job opposite Red as coach I would think...

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
I was one of few saying Mike Jenkins was going to be fine last year when everyone else wanted to cut him after the Giants game.

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
Dude was getting a lot of flak even into the second game.

It only took a Scandrick scorching for people to say "well I guess Jenkins isn't that bad..."

And who could forget "oh well the coaching staff will start Jenkins because of where he was drafted even though Scandrick is the better player"

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I always thought Campo coached DBs to make sure you make the tackle instead of playing the ball? That would mean that Jenkins ignored Campo...just saying.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Future;3066725 said:
I always thought Campo coached DBs to make sure you make the tackle instead of playing the ball? That would mean that Jenkins ignored Campo...just saying.

No he teaches proper technique which is why Jimmy Johnson hired him when he was with the Hurricanes then came to Dallas with Jimmy and was brought back to Dallas. Guys getting beat have a difficult time looking back for the ball, when you are in proper position it becomes much easier to look back at the ball. Dave Campo is a very good secondary coach and has done a good job with both Jenkins and Scandrick

utrunner07

Reaction score
casmith07;3066693 said:
I was one of few saying Mike Jenkins was going to be fine last year when everyone else wanted to cut him after the Giants game.

I guess I was the other then. There were very few of us.

Gaede

Reaction score
I was so pissed after last year, I didn't have any faith in him

Now, when the other team is driving and I'm hoping and praying someone will make a play, Jenkins is one of the three guys I believe that will actually step up (along with Ware and Ratliff). What a turnaround. Unlike the other DBs we've had for so long, Jenkins actually makes plays.

Achozen

Sounds From The Lair
Reaction score
I still don't like the way Campo has our DB's playing so far off.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
utrunner07;3066798 said:
I guess I was the other then. There were very few of us.

It always amazes me how fast people dump on rookies. It's like they don't understand how hard it is to make the transition from college to the NFL.

I guess the fact that some players do stand out immediately makes us impatient when ours don't.

Of course, a lot of people here quickly abandon ship any time any one of our players has a bad game or a couple of bad games ... and some dump on them when they have a good game.

The Jenkins-Scandrick reversal has been kind of fun to watch, although I hope it doesn't mean people are down on Scandrick. Phillips admitted that having him play outside corner when he had spent most of his time concentrating on the slot was affecting his play. ... It appears to me that we struck it rich at that position last year and both of these players are great additions to the team (although I'm sure they'll continue to get ripped and be considered worthless every time they give up a big play ... just think how this board would feel about Jenkins if Ware had not hit McNabb's arm on that one play.)

JBond

Reaction score
187beatdown;3066703 said:
Dude was getting a lot of flak even into the second game.

It only took a Scandrick scorching for people to say "well I guess Jenkins isn't that bad..."

And who could forget "oh well the coaching staff will start Jenkins because of where he was drafted even though Scandrick is the better player"

Biggest coaching mistake this year. It probably cost us the game.

JBond

Reaction score
Achozen;3066882 said:
I still don't like the way Campo has our DB's playing so far off.

:confused:

We have played more man than this year than the last 3 combined. We are jamming WR's on a regular basis. You don't do it every play, just like you don't blitz every play.

reddyuta

Reaction score
i am still not sure about campo.Jenkins is the man though.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
JBond;3066905 said:

We have played more man than this year than the last 3 combined. We are jamming WR's on a regular basis. You don't do it every play, just like you don't blitz every play.

I agree. Dallas is running a lot of different defensive coverages out there and the CB are not always going to be pressing at the line of scrimmage.

Achozen

Sounds From The Lair
Reaction score
JBond;3066905 said:

I'm not saying you gotta press every play, but giving THAT much of a cushion really makes it easy for the offense.

JBond

Reaction score
Achozen;3066931 said:
I'm not saying you gotta press every play, but giving THAT much of a cushion really makes it easy for the offense.

Did you see the replay when Ware hit Mcflabs arm? That should have been a TD. That is why you don't play tight man all the time against a quick strike team like the Eagles. Just my opinion.

Everlastingxxx

All Star
Reaction score
I was one that thought Scan was the better player...he had a great training camp but Jenkins has impressed me every week. I didn’t need week 8 to say i was wrong...i saw it at week 3 that this guy was a great player. Credit to the coaches for seeing he had more upside. Why i get paid to design and not coach.