"Ironhead" Heyward Dead at 39

irvin88

Reaction score
Former NFL fullback Craig "Ironhead" Heyward, who played 11 seasons in the league with five different franchises, died here Saturday after a seven-year battle with a recurring brain tumor.

Heyward, who retired from the league following the 1998 season, was 39.

Given the severity and aggressiveness of Heyward's tumor, known as a chordoma, and the inability of surgeons to completely remove it during two operations, his death was not unexpected. Heyward also suffered a stroke a few years ago that left him partially paralyzed.

But friends who had visited recently with Heyward, including one-time NFL quarterback Bobby Hebert, a former teammate in both New Orleans and Atlanta, certainly did not expect his death to come so quickly.

Hebert told ESPN.com two weeks ago that he was apprised that the tumor had wrapped itself around Heyward's brain, that further surgical attempts were not planned, and that the once-mighty fullback would likely survive another three to five years.

"The one thing he's still got and that hasn't changed a bit," Hebert said at the time, "is that devilish sense of humor of his. Hopefully, that will keep him going for a while."

In a statement released by the University of Pittsburgh, coach Dave Wannstedt, who helped direct Heyward to the school and also coached him with the Chicago Bears, said: "I will always remember him as a tremendous player who had an irrepressible attitude on and off the field. We spoke just a few weeks ago and I was struck by the typical upbeat 'Ironhead' attitude he displayed despite his health. The thoughts and prayers of the entire Pitt family are with Craig's loved ones during this time of sorrow."

Heyward departed Pitt as an underclassman to enter the NFL draft and was the first-round selection of the New Orleans Saints in 1988. He played from 1988-92 for the Saints and then had stints with Chicago (1993), Atlanta (1994-96), St. Louis (1997) and Indianapolis (1998).

In 149 games, Heyward registered 1,031 carries for 4,301 yards and 30 touchdowns. He also posted 177 receptions for 1,559 yards and four touchdowns. His finest season came with the Falcons in 1995, when he rushed for 1,083 yards and six touchdowns and earned his lone Pro Bowl berth.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com.

wxcpo

Reaction score
Truly sad. My thoughts and prayers are with his family as they go through a most difficult time.

RIP Ironhead.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
The year after I got hurt and was out of football we played the University of Pittsburgh and I got to see Craig Heyward up close. He was gigantic and he moved so well for a big man. It was truly fun to watch him. What a crushing blocker.

I can't remember his brother's name but he was also on the Panthers and they called him Steelhead. He was big too, but not as big as Ironhead and nowhere near as good a runner or blocker.

I admired his game very much.

R.I.P. Ironhead.

Nav22

Reaction score
I'll remember him everytime I get Zest-fully clean. RIP Ironhead.

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
Life is so precious and fragile. If you are reading this, count your blessing because tomorrow it might all be gone.

RIP Ironhead, we remember you well.

diehard2294

America's Team
Reaction score
damn shame, I remember in 83 he was on I believe Passaic high school, he played in the state championship game at the meadowlands before us. He was a soph and he looked like Hershel Walker,just a beast running people over. We all said glad we didn't have to face him today. Rest in peace big guy:(

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Hostile said:
The year after I got hurt and was out of football we played the University of Pittsburgh and I got to see Craig Heyward up close. He was gigantic and he moved so well for a big man. It was truly fun to watch him. What a crushing blocker.

I can't remember his brother's name but he was also on the Panthers and they called him Steelhead. He was big too, but not as big as Ironhead and nowhere near as good a runner or blocker.

I admired his game very much.

R.I.P. Ironhead.

Ironhead is from NJ. He is 2 years older than me. I watched him DISMANTLE my highschool team single handedly. He played for Passaic and they beat Bloomfield I believe 32-0 that day. The most amazing play I have ever seen, was not any of the easy 4 TD's he scored followed by 4 2pt conversions. We had a guy on our team, who was to us a "Big-time" player. Tyrone Taylor was his name he supposedly was a 4.4 speedster at about 180lbs. Well Bloomfield had the ball at our own 35 or 40, Tyrone runs an out and turns it up field making the DB fall down, Our QB sees him and hits him in stride at the 35 of the opponent! The CROWD WAS ON THEIR FEET GOING NUTS! No one is gonna catch TYRONE!!!.......wrong. Here comes what looks like a 5-10-265lb fire hydrant from friggen no where, to run our HERO down at about the 15 and I believe cause a fumble too. It was the sickest play I have ever seen in person. You could have heard a pin drop in the stadium. That is when I realized the difference in a future PRO and just a guy who was a pretty good athlete! RIP dude and thanks for the memory.

By the way his brother was Nate!

Big D

Reaction score
t1_heyward_all.jpg

R.I.P.

Number82

No Helmet; No Problem
Reaction score
This truly is a shame. I grew up hearing stories of Ironhead. He played for Passaic (NJ) High School on the same team as my uncle. 39, way too young. God bless his family and friends that he leaves behind.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
JJ21 said:
Ironhead is from NJ. He is 2 years older than me. I watched him DISMANTLE my highschool team single handedly. He played for Passaic and they beat Bloomfield I believe 32-0 that day. The most amazing play I have ever seen, was not any of the easy 4 TD's he scored followed by 4 2pt conversions. We had a guy on our team, who was to us a "Big-time" player. Tyrone Taylor was his name he supposedly was a 4.4 speedster at about 180lbs. Well Bloomfield had the ball at our own 35 or 40, Tyrone runs an out and turns it up field making the DB fall down, Our QB sees him and hits him in stride at the 35 of the opponent! The CROWD WAS ON THEIR FEET GOING NUTS! No one is gonna catch TYRONE!!!.......wrong. Here comes what looks like a 5-10-265lb fire hydrant from friggen no where, to run our HERO down at about the 15 and I believe cause a fumble too. It was the sickest play I have ever seen in person. You could have heard a pin drop in the stadium. That is when I realized the difference in a future PRO and just a guy who was a pretty good athlete! RIP dude and thanks for the memory.

By the way his brother was Nate!
That is a great story. Thanks for sharing and thanks for reminding me of his brother's name.

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
i'm shocked to say the least............

great punishing fullback..

i did not know he had cancer.

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
Never seen anyone who could put his head down and dish out or absorb the kind of punishment Craig Ironhead Hayward could. You can't help but wonder if some of those crushing blows contributed to his eventual death.

Rest in Peace Warrior

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
SilverStarCowboy said:
Never seen anyone who could put his head down and dish out or absorb the kind of punishment Craig Ironhead Hayward could. You can't help but wonder if some of those crushing blows contributed to his eventual death.

Rest in Peace Warrior

Could be. Didn't even think of that. He was a beast.