"Losers Walk" in Northwestern-Illinois

Rogah

Reaction score
When I was a kid playing playground football, we had a rule which we called "losers walk." The rule was that if a team gave up a touchdown, then they were the ones who had to walk all the way to the other side of the field to receive the subsequent kickoff (which was actually a throw and not a kick but you get the idea). So if you gave up a touchdown then that meant that when you got the ball back on offense, you would be heading in the same direction as the team that had just scored.

Needless to say that is not how they do it in organized football. Until now.

Due to safety concerns resulting from the genius decision to play football at Wrigley Field (???), the Big 10 has announced that tomorrow's game pitting Northwestern against Illinois shall make use of only one end zone. That's right. No matter who has the ball, that team will head towards the west end zone.

And thus they have indeed created a situation where after each touchdown, the losers walk. :laugh2: :laugh1:

MC KAos

Reaction score
i think its pretty awesome!!! should be fun to watch and i bet a lot of people will check it out just for this reason (like me, lol). what im wondering is what happends if they have a pick 6? would they go to the other side to kick the extra point? should be interesting

Rogah

Reaction score
MC KAos;3707118 said:
i think its pretty awesome!!! should be fun to watch and i bet a lot of people will check it out just for this reason (like me, lol). what im wondering is what happends if they have a pick 6? would they go to the other side to kick the extra point? should be interesting
Yes, all extra points will head into the west end zone, even if the defense just scored a TD in the east end zone.

The back of the east end zone is right up against the wall, which is dangerous. They don't want, for example, a receiver to make a running catch and slam hard into the wall. However, any defensive TD poses no such threat.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
It will be interesting to watch the ND vs Army game in Yankee stadium this weekend too. (or is it next weekend?)

Down with ND. YOU SUCK!

WarC

Reaction score
Thanks rog this thread brought back some pretty vivid memories of schoolyard football. Now that you mention it I'm pretty sure we would have done something similar. About halfway through your post I visualized the feeling of the wind blazing past me as we all ran for the kickoff (which was usually a throw as you said). Awesome stuff. Sometimes I wish I could be really young again.

Rogah

Reaction score
WarC;3708409 said:
Thanks rog this thread brought back some pretty vivid memories of schoolyard football. Now that you mention it I'm pretty sure we would have done something similar. About halfway through your post I visualized the feeling of the wind blazing past me as we all ran for the kickoff (which was usually a throw as you said). Awesome stuff. Sometimes I wish I could be really young again.
Amen, my man! :D