"Mr May"

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
In Dave Winfield's only World Series with the Yankees, he went something like 1 for 22 at the plate leading Steinbrenner to call him "Mr May" as opposed to Reggie's "Mr October"

In 26 post season games, Winfield hit .208 with 2 HR's FAR off his career stats.

This team is filled with Mr May's...from the coaching staff, to special teams, to defense, to offense.

In my opinion, no one steps up when a play is needed. The defense can't force turn overs, the offense runs up and down the field and can't score, the special teams can't make a play when it matters most...and the coaching staff melts at the most inopportune times.

It's an organizational thing..from top to bottom in every facet of the game and has been going on for a while.

Our Dallas Cowboys, the Dave Winfield's of football.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Tony and Miles are the only guys that make plays. I feel so bad for Tony wasting away on this offense. The guy is the best QB in the NFC, second only to Peyton.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
HeavyBarrel;3568917 said:
Well Dave Winfield is a HOF'er....

And that changes that he couldn't hit the side of a barn in over 100 playoff at bats?

tupperware

A Plastic Container
Reaction score
Chicken-Little-dancing.gif

LucaBrasi

Sleeps with the fishes
Reaction score
Future;3568932 said:
Tony and Miles are the only guys that make plays. I feel so bad for Tony wasting away on this offense. The guy is the best QB in the NFC, second only to Peyton.
I feel bad he threw behind a wide open witten at the first down sticks and then missed Choice for a sure first down and probable td. Aikman's assesmment that Tony was a "little off" was spot on.

Time for this great stats qb to nut up and start winning, prferably in Houston next week.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
parcells316;3569000 said:
I feel bad he threw behind a wide open witten at the first down sticks and then missed Choice for a sure first down and probable td. Aikman's assesmment that Tony was a "little off" was spot on.

Time for this great stats qb to nut up and start winning, prferably in Houston next week.
If you are going to critique every throw that off, than you have to give credit for all the terrific ones he had on the sidelines to beat that cover 2, the great one on the seam to Witten when he got his bell rung, and the one to Dez on 3rd down where he pumped to Choice to draw the LB and corner down.

The guy makes far more great plays than he does poor. He is just about as good as it gets.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
parcells316;3569000 said:

And did he not nut up and lead the team down the field for the winning TD against Wash? He can't do anything about the idiocy of the players around him.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's bad enough I am annoyed with this team right now but you have to bring baseball into the equation...I hate baseball. I got enough disgust going on without some city slicker talking baseball.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Future;3569146 said:
And did he not nut up and lead the team down the field for the winning TD against Wash? He can't do anything about the idiocy of the players around him.

I should be more clear about my Mr May reference....as a unit, each unit comes up short when a play is needed....even if it's just one guy in the unit...and the "unit" includes the coaching staff. So each unit gets the Mr May moniker.

This is and has been, a very difficult team to root for.

Even one of my neighbors here in NY said "Geez, it must be murder to root for them. They seem to lose in the most heartbreaking ways"

On the nosey.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;3569155 said:
It's bad enough I am annoyed with this team right now but you have to bring baseball into the equation...I hate baseball. I got enough disgust going on without some city slicker talking baseball.

*singing* take me out to the ball game, take me out with the crowd...buy me some peanuts and cracker jacks... :D

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Juke99;3569216 said:
*singing* take me out to the ball game, take me out with the crowd...buy me some peanuts and cracker jacks... :D

I would like to thrown some peanuts, cracker jacks and a few other items at the coaching staff and players right now.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Juke99;3569200 said:
I should be more clear about my Mr May reference....as a unit, each unit comes up short when a play is needed....even if it's just one guy in the unit...and the "unit" includes the coaching staff. So each unit gets the Mr May moniker.

This is and has been, a very difficult team to root for.

Even one of my neighbors here in NY said "Geez, it must be murder to root for them. They seem to lose in the most heartbreaking ways"

On the nosey.
No I understood the OP. It was the other post about Tony that I was referring to. You are totally right with that comparison.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;3569233 said:
I would like to thrown some peanuts, cracker jacks and a few other items at the coaching staff and players right now.

It's tough stuff, ain't it Brad.

Last few years, rooting for this team has been really tough. They just seem to lose in ways that kill ya.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Juke99;3569777 said:
It's tough stuff, ain't it Brad.

Last few years, rooting for this team has been really tough. They just seem to lose in ways that kill ya.

Yeah it is hard to be a half full kind of guy with the way things go anymore.

What is funny is we will wind up playing a really good team and do well against them. That whole we play up to or down to the competition thing.

Duane

Reaction score
It's to the point where you wait for them to screw something up because you know it's going to happen. They either commit a penalty, have a turn over, allow a big play or do something else stupid.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
BlueBandit;3569344 said:
He won a WS with Toronto

No, Toronto won a WS in spite of him...

Stats for that world series: 5 hits, 22 at bats, 0 HR's.

Thank you for proving my point. When the bright lights came on, he wilted.

Same as with this team. When a play has to be made, when a coach has to make a smart call, this team wilts.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Duane;3569862 said:
It's to the point where you wait for them to screw something up because you know it's going to happen. They either commit a penalty, have a turn over, allow a big play or do something else stupid.

and ya know, the frustrating thing is, this ain't the 5-11 teams of the Campo era. This is a talented team. I'd expect that kind of thing from a lousy team.

It's been really tough rooting for the past 3-4 years....

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;3569805 said:
Yeah it is hard to be a half full kind of guy with the way things go anymore.

What is funny is we will wind up playing a really good team and do well against them. That whole we play up to or down to the competition thing.

Yep...because the game always hinges on a few big plays and this team rarely seems to make those plays.

*I don't care if I never come back 'cause it's root root root for the home team...*

:D