"Parcells: Dolphins should have taken Ryan, not Long, in '08."

UnoDallas

Benched
Reaction score
Parcells What an idiot

Four words Bill Parcells uttered as a musing exploded into a sexy headline that bothered him:

"Parcells: Dolphins should have taken Ryan, not Long, in '08."

The NFL.com headline was 150 percent longer than the actual quote. The former Miami Dolphins personnel executive, a bit stunned, also insisted it was inaccurate.

Parcells said he doesn't lament drafting Michigan left tackle Jake Long first overall in 2008 and claimed if he had to do it all over again -- even knowing what we know three years later -- he would still select Long ahead of quarterback Matt Ryan.

"Absolutely," Parcells told me Wednesday morning. "I do not regret taking Jake Long."

Parcells recently told Miami Herald columnist Armando Salgeuro he could understand the idea that "maybe we should have" taken Ryan instead of Long in 2008. Salguero treated the comment appropriately. The quote appeared in the 21st paragraph in a story that was 31 paragraphs long. The quote wasn't significant enough to make the front page of the sports section.

"Maybe we should have" doesn't equal an apology to Dolfans or anyone else.

"You always wonder if you should've taken a quarterback," Parcells said when I called him Wednesday. "You always wonder about that. But I don't regret taking Jake Long. The guy has been in the Pro Bowl every season he's played. What else you want?"

"Perhaps Matt Ryan instead," I replied.

There was silence for a few seconds.

"Well," Parcells said, "I've seen him as well."

The comparison to be made is not between Long and Ryan. The Dolphins already have been proven correct with their decision. Long has been to three Pro Bowls in three seasons. He was voted first-team All-Pro last season. He's an elite performer at a critically important position.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Yea, Parcells is a real idiot for drafting a kid at a premium position in the league who's made 3 pro bowls and 1 all pro team in 3 seasons.

What a moron.. :rolleyes:

Hoofbite

Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;3910148 said:
Yea, Parcells is a real idiot for drafting a kid at a premium position in the league who's made 3 pro bowls and 1 all pro team in 3 seasons.

I don't think the idea is that BP missed on Long but rather than they underestimated Ryan.

Given the choice, any team would take the franchise QB.

I think idea is more about BP and the Dolphins thinking less of Ryan and taking the safer choice.

UnoDallas

Benched
Reaction score
no my point being that Parcells could never draft O line men

and yet to this day he second guesses his pick - Jake Long

yet he today I think he still would take Ryan an try and protect him some scrub LT

like he could miss on Jake Long

UnoDallas

Benched
Reaction score
an with Jake Long being a no 1 pick how could you miss

but yet almighty BILL stills questions it

the only OT he has hit on his entire coaching career

baj1dallas

Reaction score
UnoDallas;3910319 said:

uhh that's exactly the opposite of what the article says.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score

Here's the issue.

It's a QB driven league. The days of the QB's that weren't drafted in the first round, but were great...not that common anymore.

You need top notch talent and usually that talent doesn't get unnoticed and thus the first round selection.

You're paying huge money for Long, so you might as well have taken Ryan unless you just were convinced he wasn't going to make it in the league.

I wouldn't call him a moron in this situation, but I think his line of thinking has a serious flaw to it.

And usually the QB's that are busts are due to lack of work ethic and mental toughness. I don't think anybody thought that about Matt Ryan coming out of college.

YR

Beast_from_East

Reaction score

I think the point is that a franchise QB >>>> Offensive Line.

In other words, it really doesnt matter how good of an offensive line you have if you have a scrub for a QB. On the flip side, a franchise QB can still win plenty of games even if his offensive line is not very good.

Want proof......see Tony Romo, a 4 time probowler who has trash for a line.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hoofbite;3910149 said:
I don't think the idea is that BP missed on Long but rather than they underestimated Ryan.

I think idea is more about BP and the Dolphins thinking less of Ryan and taking the safer choice.

Exactly right. What's worse, their current QB situation is borderline horrible.

burmafrd

Reaction score
But Long will be a pro bowl LT for years to come. it is a critical position. AND lets be honest; Long was considered more likely to shine at his position than Ryan at his. So given the same info just about anyone would have done the same.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
UnoDallas;3910319 said:

Need to work on your reading comprehension.. Bill states in the article that he would take Long if given the chance again. He's not questioning it at all.. he knows he made a good pick. He even said "the guy has been to the pro bowl all three years in the league so far.. what more could you want?"

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Hoofbite;3910149 said:

Alot of people underestimate and overestimate alot of players every year. The draft is a crapshoot and there is hardly ever a sure thing. Yet Parcells went with his gut, and he got a guy who in 3 years in the league at a critical position has been to 3 pro bowls and made an all pro team already. I'd say that's a pretty damn good pick.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
burmafrd;3910567 said:
AND lets be honest; Long was considered more likely to shine at his position than Ryan at his.

Yes.

But...

So what?

I'd take a good QB over a great Left Tackle.

To me, a good QB with an average LT > Average QB with a great LT

I don't think it was the worst decision ever, but if you have a chance at grabbing a potentially great QB, you do it because you may not get that chance again.

I think, for whatever reason, his picking Bledsoe #1 overall scared him. People can say what they want about Bledsoed, but he did lead the Patriots to the Super Bowl and for a good while of his career he was a prolific thrower.

I can see how Alex Smith going #1 overall and his lack of success scared people, but Ryan is a completely different bird (and the Niners did a poor job of developing Smith).

If you're pretty well convinced that a QB doesn't have it, then don't draft him. But if there's a reasonable odds of him being really good, do not pass up on the guy.

If I were a Fins fan, I'd probably be going nuts right now between the team passing up on Brees (who was going to become a Fin if he passed their physical) and now Ryan.

:bang2: :bang2:

YR

DFWJC

Reaction score
Hoofbite;3910149 said:

I agree. Long was not a bad pick, but Ryan would have filled a much harder to fill need.
It's rare that you can find a franchise QB in the draft.

Don't expect Parcells to admit he was wrong about something. The guy is a legend, but few have an ego like he does.

UnoDallas

Benched
Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;3910572 said:
Need to work on your reading comprehension.. Bill states in the article that he would take Long if given the chance again. He's not questioning it at all.. he knows he made a good pick. He even said "the guy has been to the pro bowl all three years in the league so far.. what more could you want?"

you Need to work on your reading comprehension.. read the whole thing before you jump the messenger

this what he said

Parcells recently told Miami Herald columnist Armando Salgeuro he could understand the idea that "maybe we should have" taken Ryan instead of Long in 2008.

my comprehension is fine

is yours

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Beast_from_East;3910504 said:
I think the point is that a franchise QB >>>> Offensive Line.

In other words, it really doesnt matter how good of an offensive line you have if you have a scrub for a QB. On the flip side, a franchise QB can still win plenty of games even if his offensive line is not very good.

Want proof......see Tony Romo, a 4 time probowler who has trash for a line.

Romo.. a 4 time pro bowler with no postseason success. I think alot of people would say that a franchise QB without a decent OL is a waste as well. Either way, BP made a very good draft pick in Long.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
UnoDallas;3910657 said:
you Need to work on your reading comprehension.. read the whole thing before you jump the messenger

this what he said

Parcells recently told Miami Herald columnist Armando Salgeuro he could understand the idea that "maybe we should have" taken Ryan instead of Long in 2008.

my comprehension is fine

is yours

Meaning "i can understand how some of you see it that way.."

But he still said he wouldn't change the pick even if he could go back and do it again.. so no, your comprehension skills are lacking a little here bud.

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
Matt Ryan behind a crappy Oline and hes the next Ryan Leaf

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Well duh. Anytime you have a chance to get a true franchise QB for the next decade, you've missed if you don't do it.

UnoDallas

Benched
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;3911446 said:
Well duh. Anytime you have a chance to get a true franchise QB for the next decade, you've missed if you don't do it.

yea thats easy to say now after the fact -

but that Year I would have taken Long