"Trade could help Eagles close the gap"

BAZ

Drunken Mick
Reaction score
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_y...ubYF?slug=ys-eagles021010&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

With all the recent speculation, it appears that trade rumors are running rampant in Cleveland, many centering on the Philadelphia Eagles. The Birds have two quarterbacks (Donovan McNabb(notes) and Kevin Kolb(notes)) who may be of interest to Holmgren and his new general manager, Tom Heckert, who also came from Philadelphia. In spite of all the talk, it would be hard for me to imagine that McNabb would not agree to a contract extension to join the Browns, nor would it be hard to imagine the Browns would trade for McNabb without an extension. So that leads me to believe if the Browns have interest in an Eagles quarterback, it would have to center mostly on Kolb. Heckert loved Kolb when he was in Philadelphia, was responsible for drafting him and can accurately describe him to Holmgren with regard to work habits, character and, most important, his potential as a full-time starter.

So what’s Kolb worth? I’m sure if the Browns offered their first-round pick, the seventh overall, they would get the Eagles’ full attention. But do they have to offer that much? Better yet, is Kolb worth that much? The Eagles might say that’s not enough, but they also once said they’d never take less than a two for Lito Sheppard(notes), so we know if the Browns offered that pick, the deal is done. I strongly doubt that will happen, but what if the Browns offered Pro Bowl nose tackle Shaun Rogers(notes) for Kolb?

Don’t laugh. This kind of deal would allow the Eagles to close the gap between them and the Cowboys. Even Eagles president Joe Banner admitted Tuesday in his talk with the team’s Web site that there’s a gap. Here’s what he said: “I don’t think the difference is as dramatic as one may think just looking at the scores of those two games, but there is a gap there. We have to figure out how to close that gap and be ready to go next year.” For me, the gap is in the Eagles defense, specifically their front seven where, other than Trent Cole(notes), they don’t have a player who can win a one-on-one matchup against the Cowboys’ line.

Rogers would be a gap closer on the field. He would give the Eagles a dominating inside player, something they don’t currently have on their roster and someone who can match up with the Cowboys’ size along their offensive line. Rogers is signed to a long-term deal, he’s kept his weight down and he was a model citizen in Cleveland last season — all of which would be appealing to the Eagles. Kolb gives the Browns a future quarterback, something Holmgren knows he needs, without having to part with a draft pick. This trade might be a win/win for both teams.

If the Eagles add Rogers and then sign potential free agent defensive end Julius Peppers(notes) of the Panthers (they were not a final-eight team, so they can sign anyone), they would do more that close the gap on the Cowboys—they would pass them. The Eagles will be one of the teams pursuing Peppers since his kind of game would fit perfectly with their defense and give them a blue-chip front seven player.

If the Eagles make these two moves, they’ll be a final four team next season, regardless of what they do in the draft. In fact, they can use the draft to help them find a young quarterback to replace the departed Kolb. They know they must close the gap, which is the first step.

Two moves and biggity bam, the sweep means nothing. Good times.

Big Dakota

Reaction score
Or just keep Kolb, sign Peppers and draft one of the Big young DTs in the draft. Guys like Dan Williams or Brian Price make a lot of sense. But i know one thing, i don't trade away my QB of the future, if they still consider Kolb to be that guy. If they don't, then by all means get rid of him, but one thing is for certain, McNabb is getting more torn down every year and going into his 12 season, how many good ones does he have left?

burmafrd

Reaction score
hacks. not even worth as using for lining bird cages if it were on paper.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Just keep Mcnabb and you can add anyone you want. As long as McNabb is still there and under center, there will still be a huge gap.

BAZ

Drunken Mick
Reaction score
dbair1967;3274698 said:
who cares...we heard the same junk last yr and the yr before last about all their great personnel moves

it's the off season

I CARE!

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
this is great if the Cowboys themselves try not to improve then the birds can def. win WOO WOO

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I think the Rams ought to go after Kolb from the Eagles. That way they don't have to reach for a dud QB in round 1 or wait to reach for one in round 2 either.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Hostile;3274765 said:
I think the Rams ought to go after Kolb from the Eagles. That way they don't have to reach for a dud QB in round 1 or wait to reach for one in round 2 either.

They could offer up Amendola, but then they would need at least Kolb and two high draft picks in return.

Woods

Reaction score
I guess these "journalists" think that Dallas isn't going to try to improve this off-season either.

In fact, I'd suggest that with the Super Bowl being played at Cowboys Stadium next year, that JJ will do even more to cover all the bases.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
Woods;3274830 said:
I guess these "journalists" think that Dallas isn't going to try to improve this off-season either.

In fact, I'd suggest that with the Super Bowl being played at Cowboys Stadium next year, that JJ will do even more to cover all the bases.

If we continue with the same pitfalls and ignore problems on this team, how would they be wrong?

From last year to this year, if you defense CONTINUES to give up 3rd and long, I dont see how you fixed a problem in the offseason, regardless of what you did and ignored this problem.

How about scoring in the red zone? We all saw it, Dallas gets a big play into the red zone and cant punch it in.

Cant get to the QB? Our guys run past the QB and dont tell me they didnt do it a lot and he scrambles up and yard or two and bam first down. We all saw it happen.

If you continue to allow the same problems carry over from last year to the next, than the media is right to say you wont close the gap.

joseephuss

Reaction score
ShiningStar;3274845 said:
If we continue with the same pitfalls and ignore problems on this team, how would they be wrong?

From last year to this year, if you defense CONTINUES to give up 3rd and long, I dont see how you fixed a problem in the offseason, regardless of what you did and ignored this problem.

How about scoring in the red zone? We all saw it, Dallas gets a big play into the red zone and cant punch it in.

Cant get to the QB? Our guys run past the QB and dont tell me they didnt do it a lot and he scrambles up and yard or two and bam first down. We all saw it happen.

If you continue to allow the same problems carry over from last year to the next, than the media is right to say you wont close the gap.

But the gap that exists is that Dallas is better than Philly. They did beat the Eagles 3 times this year and shut down their offense in all 3 games. Adding Rodgers and Peppers won't change that part of the equation.

And didn't Dallas rank 7th in sacks. Seem like they can get to the QB. And that was after starting the season poorly in getting to the QB. They corrected a lot of things during the season.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
joseephuss;3274856 said:
But the gap that exists is that Dallas is better than Philly. They did beat the Eagles 3 times this year and shut down their offense in all 3 games. Adding Rodgers and Peppers won't change that part of the equation.

And didn't Dallas rank 7th in sacks. Seem like they can get to the QB. And that was after starting the season poorly in getting to the QB. They corrected a lot of things during the season.

Last year we were better than Philly, right now everyone is 0-0 and if Dallas continues to let the problems slide, than no we hve a good chance of not widening the gap, we are still missing the QB regardless if you get all your sacks in garbage time or with bad teams, or if we continue to let 3rd and long on defense plague us and if we cant punch it in running the ball 4 times than YES philly will change their scheme and beat us.

joseephuss

Reaction score
ShiningStar;3274879 said:
Last year we were better than Philly, right now everyone is 0-0 and if Dallas continues to let the problems slide, than no we hve a good chance of not widening the gap, we are still missing the QB regardless if you get all your sacks in garbage time or with bad teams, or if we continue to let 3rd and long on defense plague us and if we cant punch it in running the ball 4 times than YES philly will change their scheme and beat us.

That was one game and one instance where Dallas ran the ball 4 times and failed to score on the goal line. It is not an example of the Dallas rushing attack. It is one single incident.

If there is a team that can't run in short yardage situation it is the Eagles. Peppers and Rodgers aren't helping them in short yardage.

Dallas did not get all or even the majority of sacks against bad teams or in garbage time. Brees and Rivers were both ranked in the top ten in the fewest times they were sacked per drop back. Dallas was able to get to both QBs. I guess that was all in trash time.

And no one is saying Dallas isn't going to do something to adjust and improve both sides of the ball. They just aren't going to make a big splash like getting Rodgers and Peppers.

Woods

Reaction score
ShiningStar;3274845 said:

IMO, our defense made good strides last year. And that's with Spencer taking over for Ellis, Jenkins starting his first full season, integrating Sensabaugh and Brooking and Igor O.

Guys like V Butler, B Williams, J Williams, and Hodge will hopefully add to the talent level.

The point I was making is that just like the Eagles plan on improving next season . . . . so do the Cowboys.

Do you really think JJ is going to still on his hands when he's so close to the Super Bowl and the Super Bowl is going to be played in his stadium?

JJ is going to definitely look to improve this team. The Eagles are not a sure shot to surpass the Cowboys in 2010.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
joseephuss;3274889 said:
That was one game and one instance where Dallas ran the ball 4 times and failed to score on the goal line. It is not an example of the Dallas rushing attack. It is one single incident.

Dallas did not get all or even the majority of sacks against bad teams or in garbage time. Brees and Rivers were both ranked in the top ten in the fewest times they were sacked per drop back. Dallas was able to get to both QBs. I guess that was all in trash time.

And no one is saying Dallas isn't going to do something to adjust and improve both sides of the ball. They just aren't going to make a big splash like getting Rodgers and Peppers.

No they didnt and thats why you are missing the whole point. Its not one point here or one point there, its not you picking where you want to make an argument stick, i dont see how that is helping any.

The fact of the matter is that if dallas goes into another season lacking stopping that third and long on defense, its going to get ugly in the playoffs, if they make the playoffs.

If our defenders continue to run past the QB and let him make that play to keep the drive going, fans are going to storm the field.

If we continue to hit the red zone and not score a TD, you'll notice sometimes a player comes out to kick the ball, yeah, sometimes thats needed, and sometimes you are relying on it way to much. We had to rely on it way to much in my opinion. Again, we need to work the red zone better. I dont care what incident you pull out, its still a need to improve on and get better prepared on.

Also, it wasnt as big this year, but it was last year, every big play was called back because of offensive penalty, another need that MUST be addressed this year, bottom line. If we go into next season with the SAME problem expect to see a lot of bald fans.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
Woods;3274891 said:
IMO, our defense made good strides last year. And that's with Spencer taking over for Ellis, Jenkins starting his first full season, integrating Sensabaugh and Brooking and Igor O.

Guys like V Butler, B Williams, J Williams, and Hodge will hopefully add to the talent level.

The point I was making is that just like the Eagles plan on improving next season . . . . so do the Cowboys.

Do you really think JJ is going to still on his hands when he's so close to the Super Bowl and the Super Bowl is going to be played in his stadium?

JJ is going to definitely look to improve this team. The Eagles are not a sure shot to surpass the Cowboys in 2010.

I understand what you are saying but all of it wont matter if those trends continue. I dont care what JJ wants to do if he cant get Phillips to nix those trends, they will stay there, much like a PC virus. you have to cure it and Phillips and Parcells have yet to cure those ails. I want them cured, if that means another defensive coach has be brought in so be it. Why the last guy who I wasnt that impressed with was brought back is beyond me, but its another re tred i dont think the staff needed, and could have went with someone who brings in a new philiosphy. Maybe its a gamble, but one im willing to rrisk.

If Celek and Maclin get better and McCoy has a stronger year, yes i do think philly improves faster than the Cowboys, and if we dont improve our line, yes Philly does become stronger.

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
The Eagles will never offer a guy like Peppers alot of money.

They are notoriously cheap. Except for Samuel, they do alot of low risk high reward moves,

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Without a real RB the Eagles will always fizzle out.