"Up to the Minute Dratf Order" According to ESPN 2005 Draft Site

DaBoyz73

Reaction score
jamez25 said:
Hostile made a post about this earlier..we will be drafting at the #11 spot and at the #21 spot with Buffalo's pick....

That's wrong. We will pick before any team that is going to the playoffs.

kmd24

Reaction score
Midswat said:
I don't care what you guys quote . . . I'll bet dollars to donuts that Playoff teams take draft picks 20-32 . . .

Therefore, our Buffalo pick IS NOT 20, or 21.

The 12 playoff teams pick 21-32. 20-32 is 13 slots.

AceofSpades

Reaction score
Midswat said:
I think its 11th and 18th . . .
Errr...Yeah...you're right, I didn't notice Baltimore finished 9-7 also.

11 and 18 is doesn't sound too bad. :cool:

Randy White

Reaction score
If my calculations are correct, we should be picking 9th and 19th.

There are five 6-10 teams. Arizona, Dallas, NY Giants, Washington, and Detroit. The first tie breaker is strenght of schedule. Since Dallas, Giants ( who's pick belongs to SD ), and Washington are in the same division, the only difference between them are 2 teams each.

The Deadsinks played the Bucs and 49ers.
The Giants played the Falcons and Arizona.
The Cowboys played the Saints and Seattle.

Out of that group, the Deadskins has the weaker opponents, so they select first ( 8th pick ). I think the Cowboys select second because even though the Saints ended up with a better record than Arizona, the Falcons had a better record than Seattle. Having said that, it might just come down to % points, in which case the Cowboys might lose the tie breaker to the Giants. Whomever is a math genius in here can figure it out.

IF the % points are equal, then the Cowboys win the tie breaker on the 2nd rule, which is division record. The Giants have a better division record than the Cowboys.

Arizona " should " be picking last ( out of all the 6-10 teams ) because of their schedule strength, but I could be mistaken since I only know that they've played more playoffs teams than us.

( note: forgot to mention Detroit )

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
GBN says 11 & 20. He usually has his act together so I'd take his as a best guess out of everything out there.

DaBoyz73

Reaction score
Double Trouble said:
GBN says 11 & 20. He usually has his act together so I'd take his as a best guess out of everything out there.

Read it again. We have the 11th and the 18th!

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
I think it's #11 and #18.

I'm going to bed. I think Baltimore and Jacksonville have the #19 and #20 spots.

DoomsDayD

Reaction score
Dale said:
So...

It's either 8, 9 or 11 and 19, 20 or 21. :muttley:
I think i just might play those numbers in the powerball here on wednesday.

Bobo

Reaction score
Randy White said:
If my calculations are correct, we should be picking 9th and 19th.

There are five 6-10 teams. Arizona, Dallas, NY Giants, Washington, and Detroit. The first tie breaker is strenght of schedule. Since Dallas, Giants ( who's pick belongs to SD ), and Washington are in the same division, the only difference between them are 2 teams each.

The Deadsinks played the Bucs and 49ers.
The Giants played the Falcons and Arizona.
The Cowboys played the Saints and Seattle.

Out of that group, the Deadskins has the weaker opponents, so they select first ( 8th pick ). I think the Cowboys select second because even though the Saints ended up with a better record than Arizona, the Falcons had a better record than Seattle. Having said that, it might just come down to % points, in which case the Cowboys might lose the tie breaker to the Giants. Whomever is a math genius in here can figure it out.

IF the % points are equal, then the Cowboys win the tie breaker on the 2nd rule, which is division record. The Giants have a better division record than the Cowboys.

Arizona " should " be picking last ( out of all the 6-10 teams ) because of their schedule strength, but I could be mistaken since I only know that they've played more playoffs teams than us.

( note: forgot to mention Detroit )

I'm not a draft pick expert, but I think you may be overcalculating. I believe all that matters with teams that have the same record is the strength of schedule of their opponents. But if the win/loss record of 2 teams opponents are equal, I believe they do a coin flip UNLESS they happen to be division rivals....then a new set of rules apply? Anyway, we're tied with the Giants based on strength of schedule, but there won't be a coin flip since the sweep us this year and are division opponents.

I may be wrong, but I think that's pretty much the way it works out and it agrees with the draft order on www.gbnreport.com

starfrombirth

Reaction score
Bobo said:
I'm not a draft pick expert, but I think you may be overcalculating. I believe all that matters with teams that have the same record is the strength of schedule of their opponents. But if the win/loss record of 2 teams opponents are equal, I believe they do a coin flip UNLESS they happen to be division rivals....then a new set of rules apply? Anyway, we're tied with the Giants based on strength of schedule, but there won't be a coin flip since the sweep us this year and are division opponents.

I may be wrong, but I think that's pretty much the way it works out and it agrees with the draft order on www.gbnreport.com

if you look it says final positon to be determined by playoff results...doesnt that mean that any team making the playoffs picks behind the buffalo pick?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Avery said:
That's my thought too.

Playoff teams pick after non-playoff teams hence why we were rooting for Buffalo to lose today.

Playoff teams only are listed as 21-32 until they get eliminated, then fall back to the normal order of worst record. The Rams, Vikings (8-8) get beat, they move ahead of Buffalo, pushing them back to 20. Wait and see.

Playing more playoff teams has no bearing on the spot either for a tie breaker, as someone had posted. It is record, strength of regular season schedule.

Bobo

Reaction score
starfrombirth said:
if you look it says final positon to be determined by playoff results...doesnt that mean that any team making the playoffs picks behind the buffalo pick?

Yeah I do believe that's right.